PDA

View Full Version : First Character Dining Experience

jenperich
08-20-2009, 10:14 PM
Where was your first character dining experience?

Mine was at the now Fulton's Crab House. I must have been about 7 years old...such good memories!

Mickey91
08-21-2009, 09:09 AM
Ours was at LTT when our DS was about 15 months. He hated characters anywhere else and fell in love with Mickey, Tigger, Pluto and Chip and Dale!:mickey:

TheDuckRocks
08-21-2009, 09:41 AM
As the oldest Intercotee, my first character dining experience took place the first year Disneyland was open. At that time eating choices were few. The one my mom picked was a place sponsored by Chicken of the Sea. In Fantasyland they had a very small lake with the ship from Peter Pan in the middle. The ship was a counter service location with tuna sandwiches, chips and cokes. You crossed a gangplank to enter over the water and went down into the ship to order and eat. As we were having our lunch who should appear but Captain Hook! Wow! WIth much threatening of making us walk the plank if we didn't eat and other nonsense we truely knew that Disneyland was indeed magical.

prttynpnk
08-21-2009, 09:46 AM
Last year I took my shy little one to our 1st character breakfast at the Crystal Palace. The characters were so sweet and coaxed him out from behind his chair and he received multiple hugs from all the citizens of the 100 acre woods. He was too shy to do the parade, but on the whole, I think my husband enjoyed himself and if we ever have kids, they would too.

SBETigg
08-21-2009, 09:53 AM
We didn't do any of the character dining when I was a kid. We had a lot of nice dining experiences-- dinner in the Empress Room on the Empress Lilly(what is now Fulton's) and the Luau at the Poly, and dinner and Broadway at the Top of the World (a dinner show that used to take place in what is now California Grill). But no characters! Kay, I love your Disneyland experience! Too fun.

My first character meal was with my own kids, 2001 (http://inlinethumb42.webshots.com/44713/2372103070102098585S600x600Q85.jpg), and it was at 'Ohana for breakfast back when it was Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy, and Chip and Dale.

yjgirl32
08-21-2009, 10:22 AM
I too did not get the pleasure as a child, but got to experience a character dining with my DS3 and our first experience was Mickey's backyard BBQ. It was a lot of fun and good food- not great but good. Nice little show. We got to see Mickey, Minnie, Goofy and Chip And Dale.

jnfr2424
08-21-2009, 02:17 PM
Chef Mickey when it was in DTD(now Rainforest Cafe) Mickey came over sat down and posed for tons of pictures! The picture still sits in my parent's living room right next to the personalized 80th birthday card my mother got from Mickey and Minnie!

TheRustyScupper
08-21-2009, 02:34 PM
Mine was at the now Fulton's Crab House. I must have been about 7 years old...such good memories!

1) Son-of-a-Gun.
2) My first character meal, too!
3) Except, I was much older.
4) Good Ole "Empress Lily".

Gator
08-21-2009, 03:27 PM
Mine was at the Crystal Palace. I didn't even know any diner had characters until I sat down and Piglet came and sat next to me. Great moment.

IloveDisney71
08-21-2009, 07:31 PM
I never got to have a character dining experience when I was a child. The first character dining experience I had was with my teenagers a few years ago at The Liberty Tree Tavern. We enjoyed the characters a lot and were so glad that we decided to have a character dinner. We all felt like little kids and we have great pictures to help us remember that experience. :D

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-21-2009, 07:38 PM
On our very first trip to Disney, I booked LTT. I didn't know much about Disney then, or much about the whole character meal experience, but I wanted a dinner in the MK.

So, we went to LTT for dinner on our very first day (DD was 6 then) and we LOVED it. The character interaction was awesome, and :dale: is DD's favourite, so it was just perfect.

darthmacho
08-22-2009, 09:55 AM
My first character dining experience was our first day ever at MK back in 1998, when we ate at Crystal Palace with Winnie the Pooh and his friends. Until then, I was NOt a big fan of Pooh or his friends, but now that I've met them, we're total buds...:pooh:

BelleKP
08-22-2009, 11:08 AM
Last year I took my shy little one to our 1st character breakfast at the Crystal Palace. The characters were so sweet and coaxed him out from behind his chair and he received multiple hugs from all the citizens of the 100 acre woods. He was too shy to do the parade, but on the whole, I think my husband enjoyed himself and if we ever have kids, they would too.

:funny: Hee hee! That totally made me smile!
Our first character meal was CP too! My DH loved doing the parade . . . but he was with our DD at the time! :D

MickeyMousse
08-22-2009, 12:35 PM
At The Odyssey in Epcot during our honeymoon!

barbiegirl314
08-22-2009, 01:29 PM
Mine was 10yrs ago with my then 3 y/o DS and it was at Chef Mickey's for dinner.

We had tried eating at the Garden Grille and Rain Forest Cafe that week and had to leave both places because he was afraid of thunder at the time and both places have sections w/thunder.

I remember thinking we were going to have to eat at CS all week. I called spur of the moment for Chef Mickey's and we were lucky that they could get us in. He LOVED it!

He loved being able to see the monorail going by while we were eating and Minnie Mouse was such a flirt with him. I have some great pictures of her sitting with him, hugging him, kissing him and tickling him. She just kept coming back over to him, it really made the whole night so special and it's something that he still remembers.:cloud9:

Jennifer_and_Chris
08-24-2009, 02:02 AM
Ours (DH and I) was at O'hana's for breakfast of course....

It was the first meal of our honeymoon... the 2nd morning of us as husband and wife.... what memories!!!

Tinkerbella16
08-24-2009, 07:31 AM
My 1st character dining experience was at Chef Mickeys at the Contemporary, when I was 6 years old...back in 1992! I remember it like it was yesterday. :mickey:

WDWCrazyKaren
08-24-2009, 09:24 AM
I'm another whose first was on the Empress Lilly for a pre-plated breakfast. Reminds of CRT breakfast, but that boat was awesome.

jimsgal05
08-24-2009, 09:30 AM
My 1st was with my DD she was 2 1/2 was at the resturant at wilderness lodge...It was with john Smith and Pochahonta(sp) and Meeko (which was and still is her favorit).

she was ill with kidney dis. so we had a special meal served..food wise that is, and when all the characters came into the room she shouted "meeko" meeko"..the family next to us...was taken back because she was so tiny and this huge sound came out of her. When Meeko and pochonhatas came to our table they were three for 30 mins...she held my daughter and meeko helder her too... people were taken photos of this...AND OF COURSE MY CAMERA BROKE.... but there were people giving us dirty looks so I kept on saying to the charaters..oh okay well you can go to another table now.. pochatonas said "I will when I am done visting with my special friends..."

that was the best 1st charater meal...

I have a photo with DD with the lipstick kiss on her cheeck from Pochaontas and I framed the coloring page they did togther with Meeko and pochahonats's signature on it...1997...

BMan62
08-24-2009, 10:03 AM
Have yet to do one. DW is not a fan of all the attention they create and would rather eat in peace.

Tinksalot
08-24-2009, 10:50 AM
Mine was on the "Empress Lily" many many years ago! :mickey:

SingingLights
08-24-2009, 11:23 AM
When my DD was 2 years old we took her to Cinderella's Royal Table for breakfast. It was ours and her first character dining experience. She was made to feel like a princess by all the "real" princesses. My DD is soon to be 11 and she still talks about the first visit to WDW and this character dining experience. At that time, Emerelda, from the Hunchback, was part of the charcters at the breakfast and she was so wonderful. She carried our DD around the restaurant and sang to her. We will never forget her. :heart:

Dragongirlx
08-24-2009, 11:24 AM
we never got to go to WDW as kids so my first Character dining was at cinderella's castle 4 years ago. The princesses were brilliant but the Fairy Godmother was the best.
This year I get to do breakfast at Crystal palace. I love Pooh and the gang and I am really looking forward to it

javamama
08-24-2009, 02:48 PM
The one I remember best was at the Poly, in the '80's maybe 1986 we had breakfast there that morning. Pluto got a little too frisky w/my mom when he took a pic w/us! We still joke w/her about it everytime Pluto comes around:D

Ms. Mode
08-24-2009, 02:55 PM
Ours was at the Liberty Tree, we loved it and went to the Garden Grill the next night. Our last two trips we didn't do character dining so the trip we are planning now we have about three planned. :thumbsup:

jpH/keD
08-24-2009, 04:43 PM
I went to WDW once as a child but no dinners.
In 2005 we took DD4 and DS2 to CRT for breakfast and Snow White came to our table and played w/ my son and his train. She won him over for life! He is 6 now and she is still the only princess he loves! She also knew some of the schools near where we lived so my daughter loved her as well! I cried- so sappy a mom am I but it was awesome! That was the first!

coneygoil
08-25-2009, 08:44 AM
My first character dining experience was in '84 at one of the restaurants at Buena Vista Palace. I don't remember it, but my folks have pictures and it seems I was scared of Goofy, who became one of my favorite charaters :)

The first one I do remember was back in '90 at 1900 Park Fare character breakfast. I had so much fun seeing the characters come to us.

BluegrassDaisy
08-25-2009, 08:56 AM
On our 1st trip in 1995, my DS was 11 & DD was 9, we had breakfast at Artist Point with Chip, Dale, Pluto & Goofy. The food was wonderful and the character interaction was great. We were staying at All Star Sports and fell in love with WL when we went there for breakfast.