PDA

View Full Version : Can you bear another stroller question? - Need for 3 kids

szyper
08-18-2009, 05:03 PM
Last time we were at WDW our son was 3.5 and our daughter was 14 months. We took a Jeep double umbrella stroller and it worked out OK. It was still kind of tricky carrying the kids and the stroller, bags, etc. onto the bus at night (if the kids had fallen asleep by then). We wanted to challenge ourselves even more this time, so we will now have 3 kids in tote.

DS is now 6, DD will be almost 4, and our new daughter will be 6 months. So, how do we swing it stroller-wise? Should we go with the double (side by side) umbrella again? Should we buy a Sit and Stand or something else (nothing expensive)? We also have a Graco Duo, but it seems like it would be a lot bulkier.

I will definitely have the little lady strapped to me a lot (we have a Baby Bjorn - any other suggestions?) and DS doesn't mind walking but will probably need to take a turn in the stroller at times. How can we best equip ourselves? Thanks!

magicofdisney
08-18-2009, 06:12 PM
Maybe the Graco and a small umbrella stroller for the 6yo.

When my twin girls were 4 we used the Duo Glider (and it was bulky and cumbersome). My oldest was 6 at the time and he just walked. But if you feel your 6 will need something he could either switch off with the almost 4yo or have his own umbrella stroller.

You'll NOT be able to carry the baby all day in the Bjorn it's quite possible to just alternate all 3 in the double stroller. :mickey:

greengeen
08-18-2009, 07:32 PM
I would rent or bring a stroller for the baby and have the older children walk. When they get tired, you go back to the resort and relax.

P.S. My kids started walking the parks at three.

RockinRollerMom
08-18-2009, 08:04 PM
I think that each kid is different but in general I think the longer it is possible to have a stroller for a child the better. There is A LOT of walking at Disney. Their little feet just can't take it. I think a double and a single small umbrella type is the best way to go. With the increase in the cost to rent stollers at Disney you will not be alone with managing the strollers on the bus. If you find mid trip that your oldest really doesn't need it you can always leave it in the room.

scootch713
08-18-2009, 08:39 PM
I say rent a disney stroller for the 4 and 6 year old and bring a comfortable stroller for the baby to sleep in. That way, you only have to mess with one stroller on the busses and it is much easier to push the disney strollers with older children. I push my girls everyyear by myself and even did so this past year at age 6 and just turned 9. Also helps with keeping from losing one of them, easier if they are "contained". I know the disney strollers are expensive, but to me the convenience is worth the cost.

momof3+twins
08-19-2009, 07:47 AM
If you have a car...DRIVE!!! I feel your pain with this one!
If not, I would go with the jeep, and a stroller for the baby. Or if you can afford it, go with the Disney strollers.
Do not make them walk. I had my now 9 year old walk at 6 but he could handle it. You know your child, if you don't think he can handle it don't make him. You will all be miserable.
Also, don't do the late evenings, hopefully not all of them will be sleeping. And take afternoon breaks.
We have two 3 year olds and a 6 year old. We are doing the jeep and an umbrella this time.
We have an 11 year old and 9 year old that get to help on the busses. It is nice having an 11 year old that is as big as me!!
Good luck!

momof3+twins
08-19-2009, 07:49 AM
Also, strapping the baby on while you are on a bus will help keep your hands free for the kids. And you can let your hubby deal with the strollers. The good thing is that they should be able to get on and off the bus without you carrying them at their age. I always make my husband take the strollers, I am sure he is glad to have the older kids to help now.

Disney Doll
08-19-2009, 12:33 PM
If you have a car...DRIVE!!!

I agree! I like the Disney transportation, but having that rental car is invaluable with little ones and all the gear that goes along. I would think you'll be fine with a double. The two older kids can just take turns. My son is not quite 2 and already he prefers a decent amount of walking time.

Flower
08-21-2009, 11:16 PM
Check out the baby trend sit n stand. It is made for 2 kids. They sell them at Target & Toys R Us.

The front section will hold an infant carrier, the rear section gives a second child the option to sit on the bench seat or stand on the rear platform.

We used one in March, my 2 year old sat in the front and my 5 year old and our friends 5 year old used the back - all 3 kids fit on the stroller and it was easy to manouvre - I ended up buying one when we got home and I LOVE it.

Again, they specify it is for 2 kids, but we had no problems with 3 of them.

poohbearkris
08-22-2009, 12:56 AM
I will be traveling with DSs 5 and 2 and my nephew 1 next month. We contemplated what we were going to do. We initially thought about our double umbrella and a single umbrella that we could store underneath the double stroller until we needed it. BUt at a trial at the zoo DS 2 decided all he wanted to do was push the single umbrella stroller.

So we are going to do the following: Take the double umbrella stroller. DS 5 will probably walk most of the time, but when he gets tired we will put DN in his carrier or DS 2 will walk as he will not ride the whole day anyway. I have a puppy backpack withe the parent strap (leash) and he loves it. It gives him the freedom to walk, but gives me the comfort of not having him get lost or run off. I am hoping this will work out fine. I also have a sit and stand, but DS 2 wants to be in the stand section and that causes a problem when DS 5 wants to ride as he is too big for the front. So in order to eliminate any meltdowns, this will be our attempt. Good luck with whatever you choose.

P.S. - Take a dry run at the zoo or something - it helped us to figure out what we wanted to do. All children are different, but in the end, I can be tired at the end of the day after several days of walking, and I am not 5.

poohbearkris
08-22-2009, 01:00 AM
Oh, one more thing, they also sell stand boards you can attach to the back of strollers. They run about $70 or so I think. YOu can google it or check ebay - I don't remember their name offhand, but they are more popular in England. I looked into them, but chose to eliminate the option as I hope we have a good plan set in place for our kids.