PDA

View Full Version : Disney performer dead after accident at Hollywood Studios

DizneyFreak2002
08-17-2009, 11:13 PM
From orlando Sentinal:

A Walt Disney World (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/topic/travel/tourism-leisure/theme-park-vacations/walt-disney-world-resort-PLREC000087.topic) cast member is dead after an accident this evening at Hollywood Studios.

The accident took place during a rehearsal for the " Indiana Jones (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/topic/entertainment/movies/indiana-jones-PEFCC000002.topic) Epic Stunt Spectacular." The stunt performer was doing a tumbling roll after 7 p.m. when he was hurt. He was transported to the hospital and has since died.

"We lost a valued cast member and our thoughts and prayers are with his friends and family as we mourn his passing," said Disney spokeswoman Zoraya Suarez.

The name of the performer has not been released.

The federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration as well and the Orange County Sheriff's Office have been contacted. The Sheriff's office is investigating.

Christine
08-17-2009, 11:19 PM
My goodness...how terribly sad!

Lakin
08-17-2009, 11:21 PM
So many Disney deaths within a couple of months - it's saddening. :(

Mousemates
08-17-2009, 11:46 PM
wow...how tragic. it seems to be a steady stream of bad news lately.

GrumpyFan
08-17-2009, 11:54 PM
Wow, sad and a bit scary too! That makes 3 castmember deaths at WDW in 3 months. I'm not one for spooky conspiracy's or curses, but, this is just weird!

DisneyPrincess21
08-18-2009, 01:06 AM
Good Lord! What is it with WDW and deaths lately?
Geez, Makes me nervous about my trip in December. I hope nothing bad happens while I am there.

Thoughts, Prayers, And Pixie dust to the family

johnO
08-18-2009, 03:12 AM
Wow, there have really been some freak accidents at WDW recently.

I think everyone needs to remember that they are 'freak' accidents. WDW is still very safe.

Ed
08-18-2009, 04:36 AM
ID released of Disney performer fatally injured in Hollywood Studios accident

Willoughby Mariano
Sentinel Staff Writer

11:50 PM EDT, August 17, 2009

A Walt Disney World cast member is dead after an accident this evening at Hollywood Studios.

Stunt performer Anislav Varbanov, 30, was fatally injured during a rehearsal for the " Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular." He was doing a tumbling roll after 7 p.m. when he was hurt.

Disney workers dialed 911 at 7:34 p.m. to report that a cast member sustained a head injury. Varbanov was rushed to Florida Hospital Celebration Health, where he was pronounced dead at 8:53 p.m., Orange County sheriff's deputies said.

Varbanov was the the third cast member in seven weeks to die after sustaining injuries while working.

Online photos show Varbanov on the set of the Pirate's Dinner Adventure attraction in the International Drive tourist corridor. A video on YouTube shows him performing a hand-balancing act with a woman during the Pirate's attraction pre-show. Monday night, a YouTube user had posted "R.I.P. ANISLAV."

The Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular, known colloquially as "Epic" to Disney cast members, is performed several times each day at Disney's Hollywood Studios. Disney performers don't impersonate Harrison Ford and Karen Allen, the lead actors from the original Indy film, Raiders of the Lost Ark, but instead demonstrate the types of stunts used to film Indy and Marian's adventures.

The 30-minute show opens with a dramatic sequence in which the actor representing Indiana Jones dodges moving spikes and swings on a rope to get to a treasure. During the rest of the presentation, cast members perform acrobatics, stage fights, dodge moving aircraft and avoid pyrotechnics. The famous rolling-ball scene is also re-created.

"We lost a valued cast member and our thoughts and prayers are with his friends and family as we mourn his passing," said Disney spokeswoman Zoraya Suarez in a prepared statement.

The show has been performed at Disney since 1989.

Performers at the Indiana Jones show have been injured before. The year after the show's opening, Disney was fined $1,000 by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration after three were injured when equipment failed.

One fell 30 feet onto concrete when a restraining cable didn't work properly. Another fell about 25 feet, landing on crates after a ladder he was on collapsed prematurely. The third was squeezed by a trap door that malfunctioned.

The federal safety agency said Disney did not provide enough padding or other equipment to protect performers if they accidentally fall. Soon afterward, a fourth cast member dropped 20 feet onto concrete during rehearsal of a new routine that was supposed to be safer for performers.

Tuesday's performances are canceled because of Varbanov's death.

The federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration as well as the Orange County Sheriff's Office have been contacted in Varbanov's death. The Sheriff's office is investigating.

MinnieMommie
08-18-2009, 05:54 AM
How very sad. My prayers go out to his family and friends.

DizneyRox
08-18-2009, 06:45 AM
Now I know why I don't drink the water down there. There's got to be SOMETHING in the water.

brownie
08-18-2009, 06:59 AM
Very sad. It's been a tough summer for the cast members at Walt Disney World.

TheVBs
08-18-2009, 08:35 AM
How awful! :(

Bethis26fan
08-18-2009, 08:53 AM
That's awful, so many deaths in so few weeks. Thoughts & prayers for the family and friends.

sgdisney
08-18-2009, 09:08 AM
How sad. Prayers and pixie dust to the family, friends, and coworkers of this young man.

magicofdisney
08-18-2009, 09:45 AM
Was he an extra or the guy that plays Indie?

Lizzy
08-18-2009, 09:45 AM
What a sad year for Disney. My prayers go out to the family and cast members. :(

poohbearkris
08-18-2009, 10:20 AM
This is very sad and tragic for these 3 CMs. Freak accidents. My thoughts and prayers to the family and friends. Hopefully this is the end of the tragedy. They say it comes in 3's, and not to be superstitious, but that does seem to be true. I have worked ICU for 15 years, and it is freaky how often deaths come in 3's.

My condolences.

Imagineer1981
08-18-2009, 10:22 AM
not that this makes it ok, but they always say "bad things come in 3s", lets pray this was the last bad thing to happen for a VERY long time. My family's thoughts are with this mans family

Jordan0301
08-18-2009, 02:05 PM
He was one of the tumblers, not Indiana.

Ani was a great guy, worked with him for a long time...amazing performer, good spirit. If you have been to Pirates Dinner in the last few years, you have definately been graced by one of his performances.

It occured on the simplest of stunts as well, something he could do in his sleep. And it happened in rehearsals, which is when you are on your game 24/7, as well as safety is ramped up 100x. It just goes to show how anything can happen, and how precious life is.

We often forget when we see stunts, that almost every minute of those shows, performers are putting their lives at risk for their art. It is something taken lightly, because of how easy it is made to look. :(

At least Ani passed doing something he loved...he was born to perform/tumble.

It'sWDW4me
08-18-2009, 02:34 PM
How amazingly horrible! Such very sad news. My heart goes out to the families and friends of all three Cast Members.

SandmanGStefani24
08-18-2009, 02:49 PM
what exactly was he doing?

like a gymnastics move? a stunt with a prop?

i havent seen this show since 95...

Jordan0301
08-18-2009, 04:47 PM
I'm really not sure what information should/shouldn't be released...but, it in no way would ever be considered "super dangerous".

The news describes it as a tumbling accident, that is fairly close to accurate.

dudeman1975
08-18-2009, 09:01 PM
My thoughts and prayers to all the families involved of all the three cast members. I always think highly of all the Stunt Show Cast Members. I remember that there is a scene with Indiana using the whip and the men are doing somersaults over and under the whip. One thing I did find upsetting though do not yell at me, is that Orlando Sentinel had the 911 tapes and it seemed that 911 took a while to get there and that his condition got worse.

Jordan0301
08-19-2009, 03:37 PM
It did feel like it took an aweful long time, but without a doubt they moved as fast as they could. Also the trip to the stage takes a good while, epecially considering Paramedics aren't allowed to run.

Truthfully I don't feel like anything could have been done even if they had been there in 30 seconds...it seemed that grievous.

Jordan

Crow
08-19-2009, 10:25 PM
this is terrible.
and there does need to be some more accountability on property.

IloveDisney71
08-19-2009, 10:45 PM
I couldn't believe it when I read that there had been another death of a Disney cast member. It is so sad. I pray for the families of all three cast members. :(