PDA

View Full Version : Coronado Springs vs Value?

Missy_Mouses_Dad
08-17-2009, 09:57 PM
DW has twisted my arm and pursuaded me to upgrade from our usual value resort to Coronado Springs for our 25th wedding anniversary next year. Can anyone give me any pluses/minuses/views etc? It looks wonderful and the food court sounds great from this website...thanks!! :party2:

KatMark
08-17-2009, 10:34 PM
DW has twisted my arm and pursuaded me to upgrade from our usual value resort to Coronado Springs for our 25th wedding anniversary next year. Can anyone give me any pluses/minuses/views etc? It looks wonderful and the food court sounds great from this website...thanks!! :party2:

The CSR has a love/hate relationship with most people...mainly because it is a convention resort and because of the Pepper Market.

It is our family's favorite resort at Disney (oldest DS just got back last month fro the CBR; and while he liked it, he missed the CSR).

We have stayed seven times and will be there in 32 days for our eighth stay and already have number nine booked for next year. DH and I have celebrated his 50th birthday, my 50th birthday/successul breast cancer surgery and last year our 25th anniversary at the CSR.

We haven't experienced first hand the new queen beds as they were putting them in after we left last year, but we can't wait. We have always had outstanding CM's, mousekeeping, food, and a very romantic feel. Unfortunately, I've read the quality of the food has gone down at the Pepper Market (and it is expensive if you are not on the dining plan); I'm not sure we'll have a chance to eat there this year as we are only going for a short four day trip on our way to Marco Island.

We love the main pool, even the slide at our ages. We love the quiet pools, the hot tub is the largest of all the moderates (holds 22 people); we like that it has a place where I can get my massage every year. DH and I love taking a walk around the resort at night when we're back after being at the parks because it is very pretty during the day, and beautiful at night when the sun has gone down and the lights are on--especially in the courtyards of the Casitas.

We've always stayed in the Casitas (all seven stays) and particularly like Casitas 4 and 5 which are near the quiet pool and the fitness center/spa (it is also close to Bus Stop 2--the first stop picked up and dropped off when going to the parks). We have NEVER had a problem with the convention people. You'll read that it is a bunch of "suits" walking around. There has been one if not two conventions during each of our visits and we have seen a "suit" twice--and for all we know they were management of the CSR.

We used to stay deluxe all the time; tried a value once and did not care for it at all (too noisy and too crowded) and have stayed at the CSR seven of our last eight visits (the one time in the last eight years we didn't stay there we were at the Poly for our oldest son's high school graduation with his girlfriend and it was her first time ever at Disney World). We are trying AKL next year with a split stay with CSR only because of our love of animals. Other than that, we are quite happy at the CSR as it offers everything we want in a resort--without a deluxe price.

If you have any specific questions, please don't hesitate to PM me and I'll be glad to try to help.

Mousemates
08-17-2009, 11:32 PM
The CSR has a love/hate relationship with most people...mainly because it is a convention resort and because of the Pepper Market.

Love the rooms and pool at CSR

Hate the Pepper Market (had our worst Disney meal ever there).

Lakin
08-17-2009, 11:38 PM
I say go for it. It could be the start of something new!

JPL
08-17-2009, 11:40 PM
I have 2 absolutely horrible stays in CSR. One back in 2004 and I finally gave it another chance in June. My opinion if you are not a convention guest they just don't care about you. It really doesn't have the Disney feel at all. If it was me I would rather stay at a Value and take the money saved and spend it a few nice dinners.

buzz2001
08-18-2009, 06:13 AM
No comparison! CSR is a very good option. Queen beds, flat panel tv's, newly renovated rooms and much more.

The PM is either a love it or hate it. Its more difficult to navigate with young ones but there are other options and I doubt you will be eating every meal there. Give the Maya Grill a try. Siestas has good, quick meals too and great margaritas!

You'll get the fridge and coffeemaker in your room.

There is a terrific main pool area that includes a 123 ft slide (2nd largest at WDW), not just for kids! Give it a try!!

Reliable transportation that is not shared with other resorts, 4 resort stops and quick rides to all the parks. CSR has the closest bus stops to the park entrances too (first stop at DHS and MK)!

CSR has a spa (get a massage), tanning beds, a lap pool and fitness center (free to its guests).

Rix Lounge – a dance club voted most trendy bar in Orlando.

Full menu room service, expensive though.

Central air and WiFi available.

http://i33.tinypic.com/2igcfa0.jpg

But for two adults, it would be great!!

like2workout
08-18-2009, 09:19 AM
coronado springs has beautiful grounds. if you like to take walks, ride bikes, or just enjoy the walk to your room, it's a beautiful place to be.

A Mouse Fan
08-18-2009, 10:17 AM
We stayed one night at Coronado Springs last year and HATED it! I could not wait to get out of their! The check in was noisy and crowded, they had to move our room 3 times. The first time because the bathtub had leaked all over the carpet, the second because they moved us to a King Bed room that was handicap accessible and the bed was on the floor practically and the third time because the A/C wasn't working. I just felt is was a glorified Motel 6. Hated It...NEVER Again! If you want a moderate hotel I might try the Port Orleans.

Disney Doll
08-18-2009, 12:18 PM
Reading these posts it is amazing that the opinions are so divided. We tried CSR last year and we loved it! It is our favorite moderate and we are definitely planning to stay there again. It didn't feel unDisney to me, but I did enjoy the quieter atmosphere and more grown up feel to the resort. When we stayed at CBR the year before it was overrun with kids. If you are taking an adult only anniversary trip I would definitely recommend CSR.

I like that at CSR you get a break from the chaos of the parks. We liked taking walks through the beautiful grounds and we enjoyed eating out on the patio by the lake. We liked the patio dining so much that we didn't eat many meals in Pepper Market. Instead we got everything to go so we could eat outside. All the food we tried was great!

Missy_Mouses_Dad
08-19-2009, 09:12 AM
Thanks for all of the info. How is the food at CSR versus a value. I noticed the prices are a little higher, but there appears to be a larger selection.

buzz2001
08-19-2009, 11:43 AM
Yes, the prices are higher. If you are on the DDP, its a great value. Do you plan on eating every meal at the resort? You can get some good items at Siestas by the pool too.

Hammer
08-19-2009, 11:57 AM
You will get various responses to how the food is at Coronado Springs. Personally, I like the food there and have eaten breakfast and lunch there. I like that there is a wider selection. I’ve had breakfast skillets and made to order omelettes at breakfast and shrimp and grouper tacos for lunch. While there is a 10% gratuity charged if you dine in, you actually receive your food on real dishes with real silverware and a cloth napkin, unlike the other food courts where it is paper and plastic. Make the food court seem a bit more civilized by comparison to my food court experiences at POFQ, All-Star Music and POR where the place was a mess, beverage area grimy, and children running wild (that last point was specifically at POR). As was mentioned, Pepper Market is a great deal on the DDP, as it counts as a CS credit regardless of what you order and it includes the 10% gratuity.

I know people have had bad experiences, but that has never been my experience in any of my trips to CSR. No matter what time I checked in, I have always had great service. In fact, one time my flight was delayed and I did not get to CSR until 11:45 PM. Pepper Market and the restaurant were closed. However, I had not eaten yet and was starving. As the CM was checking me in, I asked her where I could get some food delivered to my room. She took the time to call La Tienda (the convenience store at the time) and ask if they could stay open an extra 5 minutes so I could go and pick up a sandwich, which they did.

I think you should give CSR a chance if it interests you. There are many here who love POR, but I have never had a good stay there (gave it 2 chances) and I will not stay there again. I don’t, however, tell people to not try the resort as every person’s experience can vary.

ThanxForNoticin
08-19-2009, 12:37 PM
I'm also amazed how opinions about CSR are so split. We've stayed there several times, and it is without a doubt our favorite moderate resort. The grounds are amazing, the pool is great, and the rooms have been excellent in our experience.

We also love the Pepper Market to eat - it is far superior to the value food courts. We enjoy the Pepper Market so much, we will often go there for a meal even when we're not staying at CSR. The selection is great and the food made fresh while you wait. But these are just our experiences and opinions. Good luck with your choice! This would be a very easy choice for us...

darthmacho
08-22-2009, 09:45 AM
Love Coronado Springs. Great theming, decor, and atmosphere. The Value resorts are better than staying home, but if you can afford it, make the upgrade. :number1:

PetefromRI
08-23-2009, 03:53 PM
I have to agree with everything said,good and bad.We did enjoy the Pepper Market very much as long as your on the DDP.It's a beautiful resort with the best pool area in my opinion.My only real gripe was getting stuck in the Ranchos area and having to walk long distances and some of the rude conventioneers(really only a couple bad apples showing off).I'd stay again and there really isn't a comparison between CSR and any of the Values.Check out Buzz's site for a good feel for the resort!

clausjo
08-23-2009, 04:07 PM
We have stayed there twice and both times have had a good time. That being said, however, we will most likely not stay there again. First off, it is HUGE. If you do not get a room location close to the main building, you will have a REALLY long walk to get to the pool or food.

Second, my husband hates the Pepper Market. He doesn't mind food courts, but the way this is set up, it can sometimes take a very long time to get your food. The food itself is good, but the way it's set up is not good for my husband.

The pool is great and we really enjoy it. The rooms are clean and a bit larger than those at the value resorts. Like I said, we've never had a bad experience here. Actually, the last time we were there, my husband and son went to the small market where you could buy milk and such but it was closed for the evening. When they asked at the front desk if there was somewhere else they could get milk (son just can't go to sleep without a glass of milk!), the wonderful CM opened the store for them! :woohoo: So, we can't complain about the service we've received. The resort is just a bit too big and spread out for us.