PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Intercotees

TooGoofy
08-16-2009, 11:19 AM
Hi there,
We are in the very beginning stages of planning a trip to, among other places, Chicago. I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with the Windy City so that I can get suggestions about where to stay. I already know that we want to see the Shedd Aquarium, the Field Museum, the Museum of Science and Industry and the Navy Pier.
So, any suggestions for a good place to stay, not too expensive, safe neighborhood, close to public transportation, etc?
Thanks!

StitchFan#1
08-16-2009, 11:31 AM
those are wonderful things to do here but if you have girls and want to surprise them do American girl

TooGoofy
08-16-2009, 12:31 PM
No, we have no children. It will just be Dave and me.

brownie
08-16-2009, 01:59 PM
We usually stay at the Hampton Inn in Skokie, which is on the north side. We always have a car, so I don't know how the public transportation is from there (buses do run out there.) They do have a good breakfast. If you're staying downtown, I wouldn't recommend anything under $100 a night.

If you have time, check out the Bean in Millennium Park.

dfamasb
08-16-2009, 02:50 PM
Hampton Inn Majestic near State and Monroe. Very near red and blue lines and within walking distance to many things.

Wrigley
08-16-2009, 03:12 PM
I highly recommend something near Michigan Ave-there are tons of things to do in that area. We really like the Inn of Chicago on Ohio Street. It is only a block or 2 from Michigan Ave, and within walking distance to Navy Pier. You are very close to everything! It is a relatively "cheap" hotel that is nice and in a great location. Have a great time!

megustamex
08-16-2009, 04:15 PM
This isn't about where to stay, but the architectural boat tour is amazing. Gives you a great vantage point of the beautiful buildings that you don't usually get. I'm not sure when you're going though.

TooGoofy
08-16-2009, 06:30 PM
It would be in the summer, most likely early August.

Jeff G
08-17-2009, 03:00 PM
When we've stayed in Chicago we have had great luck with Priceline for our hotels. We were one block off of Michigan Ave last summer and paid under $100. When I checked the price online it was over $169/night. If you stay downtown a good location with save you in cab fares.

As for things to do, we have never varied much from the suggestions. Our normal stops include the Shedd, the John Hancock tower, and one of the museums. We've also done the Navy Pier in the summer. The ESPN Zone is great and just waliking Michigan Ave is neat.