PDA

View Full Version : Beach Club Babe's Gotta Getaway Part V

Beach Club Babe
08-16-2009, 11:15 AM
Tuesday, August 4th, 2009

This morning we were up and on our way back to DHS. Try as we might, we have been arriving shortly after opening, but we cannot seem to make it before. Granted, having a small baby changes a lot. OH well, things have been working out just fine.

This morning we opt for the fp's at ToT and Rockin Rollercoaster instead of TSM. With those collected, we are just in time for a showing of Voyage of The Little Mermaid, on of Rose and Theresa's favorites, and one of Ron's favorite napping places. Moving along, we decide on the Backlot Tour. Every trip I swear I'm never doing this again until the give it a major rehab, but somehow I always get dragged in. If I ever report again, how we wasted our time on this attraction, kick me! I don't know how, but this just gets worse and worse, but I do remember how we used to enjoy it. Now that there is a recorded spiel, they may just as well scrap this. No imagination, just a commercial for Lights, Motors, Action. Ugh!

Everyone was hungry when we finished up, so it was off to the ABC Commissary. This used to be one of our favorite places, but took a huge nosedive for a while. I'm happy to report that things are much improved and back to the way things used to be.

Afterwards, it was time for the fp's. Rose , Ron, and Ashleigh don't ride this, so they all stayed with Hallie. This was to be Emily's 1st time on this ride. I don't think she really wanted to try this, but she promised Courtney she would since Space Mt. was closed. She kept asking if it was scary, but we tried to reassure her that it was just fun. Courtney and I promised to sit on either side of her and hold her hand. She was very tentative on approaching the entrance, but once through, she remarked that queue was not scary, not bad at all. When we entered the lobby, her comment was, "Boy, the really need to clean this place up!" We chuckled and were lead into the library, where she tensed up a bit again. By the time we got in the elevator, she had a pure look of panic on her face. She held tight and we didn't hear a peep from her until it was all over. I couldn't tell at all what she was thinking while we were dropping. Once we got off and asked her, she said it was the worst ride ever, and she's not going on it again until she's 20 like Matt. It wasn't the drops she minded, but sadi it was the "ghosts" who scared her.

Over to Rockin Rollercoaster, where she was relieved she was still too small to ride. 1st round was Me, Ron, Ashleigh, and Matt. And while the rest rode, we took Emily & Hallie over to Animation Courtyard to meet Sorceror Mickey and of course play with the coloring screens for Em. When we were through, Theresa and Courtney wanted to catch another AI experience, but they just missed the next show, they were kicking themselves for not thinking of it a couple minutes earlier. Matt had already departed for the room before a trip to DTD. Now we were ready for a break as well.

Some napped, some went to the pool, but about 4PM were were all gathered to make our way to Epcot for our dinner at San Angel Inn and EMH. Just as we had arrived at the Epcot bus stop, the clouds opened up and it was just teeming! We stayed under cover for as long as possible, hoping it would end, but there was no end in sight. We were all starving and anxious for some good Mexican food, so we eventually caved in and made a break for it. It was absolutely awful. We were so drenched by the time we arrived. We checked in about 2 minutes late and were made to wait and wait and wait. For what I'm not sure. There were plenty of empty tables, but no one else was getting seated either. while waiting, we were able to peruse the menu, only to discover our favorites removed, and nothing that looked all that appealing. We should have scrapped the plans then. I thought things were beginning to look up, as when we were finally seated, we had a nice table on the water. However, that turned out to be the only bright spot of the meal. Like I said, we were already disappointed in the menu choices, as none really appeared to be Mexican dishes. We pretty much all chose the same meal, and while tasty, the portion was very tiny, and for $24, not at all worth it. Our server, if that's what you would call him, was nowhere to be found any time we needed anything. We had been getting separate checks, but as Rose put it bluntly, we didn't dare confuse him, as he couldn't even handle our drink orders which included diet cokes, sprites, and water. The girls had been looking forward to some dessert, as the one they had last night was so great, but they were disappointed in the choices again, as the only had 4 and they all seemed to be some combination of vanilla ice cream and caramel. We bypassed it, hoping to find something better later. Instead we rode the Gran Fiesta Tour, before deciding to head out. Just as we did, the rain came down again!

My vote was to wait it out, as we had pretty much dried up. However, everyone else seemed determined to get back to the resort to change. I knew that if we got back there, we would not be coming back out, and so after soaking ourselves again, our plans for EMH were done and we were in very early!

Christine
08-16-2009, 12:24 PM
Gosh I'm sorry about your dinner....that's too bad! And a shame the rain put a "damper" on your plans for EMH. It's definitely hit or miss around here!

Mousefever
08-16-2009, 01:48 PM
Poor Emily! :) As I read the report I was hoping that she would love ToT. At least she tried it! We have not eaten at San Angel Inn and I'm thinking we might skip it in the future! It's terrible and funny at the same time that you had to dumb down your requests for the sake of your rather dim server!

Amy

Vintage Disney
08-16-2009, 01:49 PM
I agree about San Angel Inn. It has such a nice atmosphere, too bad the food choices are not that great.

offwego
08-16-2009, 02:29 PM
Heather my son Will had the same reaction to TOT for a few years when younger re the ghosts.
I'm so sorry about your meal what a letdown for such a lovely location.
Hopefully the extra rest means a great day is in store for you.

RedSoxFan
08-16-2009, 04:20 PM
I give Emily lots of credit for riding ToT. Kourtney would not ride until the last trip in October at age 12. And she loved it. Sorry about your dinner. Nothing worse than a server who is not competent. Drives me crazy.

BluewaterBrad
08-16-2009, 06:26 PM
:thumbsup::mickey:

yjgirl32
08-17-2009, 10:54 AM
So sorry to hear about your unfortunate dining. Thanks for sharing.

Mackflava99
08-17-2009, 11:19 AM
great report- sorry about your dinner- we have not had good meals their either-

DisneyorBust
08-17-2009, 06:16 PM
Sorry to read about your dining experience, I haven't heard many good things concerning the San Angel Inn.

vizsla
08-18-2009, 05:17 AM
Thanks for the report.

DizNee143
08-18-2009, 02:55 PM
so sorry to hear about dinner..glad the rest of the day was better! :mickey:

princessgirls
08-24-2009, 11:54 AM
Heather,

Sorry to hear your dinner at San Angel Inn was less than spectacular, and that you had those awful drenching rains, but a new and improved day hopefully will be on the horizon in the morning!

Otherwise a great day!
Thanks for the report!

Julie:mickey:

Mickeydream
08-26-2009, 04:21 PM
Sorry about your experience at San Angel. We have an ADR for our Nov trip...mostly because the setting is so pretty though. We don't eat much Mexican food, so maybe we won't notice the quality as much as someone who eats it more regularly...? I guess we could just order another margarita and maybe we won't care! :marg:We'll see.

faline
09-01-2009, 08:44 PM
San Angel has long been a favorite though I'm sorry to hear about the menu changes!

Emily is certainly quite brave!

disneykid@hrt
09-01-2009, 09:19 PM
The atmosphere at San Angel Inn is great- the food, not so much. We like to do lunch there.

pdrlkr
09-06-2009, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

Tigerinvestigator
09-08-2009, 03:31 AM
Rain was a problem for us this past May for the first time in 36 years of visiting WDW. We usually manage it fine but this year somehow was different. Every rain brought flooding and soaking through our rain gear.

We never make it for opening either.

We also love ABC Commissary!:thumbsup:

KylesMom
09-09-2009, 03:08 PM
Oh, poor Emily on TOT . . . you know, the "ghosts" are what freaked my DS out the first time (along with the ventriloquist dummy at the end of the attraction), and he was 10! Now it's among our faves, so maybe she just needs a bit more time. :thumbsup:

You know, I think the single-worst place to be caught in a downpour is Epcot - especially when you're on your way to what you hope is going to be a wonderful dinner. I'm sorry your plans didn't work out this evening! :(