PDA

View Full Version : Using wireless router at Disney Hotels

Polynesian Dweller
08-15-2009, 03:05 PM
Has anybody successfully done this? I'm thinking of using a travel router to connect to the internet to use our itouch's and a laptop. Is this possible at Disney?

I tried once a couple of years back and although I can make it work in almost every other hotel I couldn't do it at the Poly. Be interested to know if this can be done and how.

JPL
08-15-2009, 03:16 PM
I have heard about people doing this in the past. I know you have to log into Disney's System first and pay the fee if applicable. I would ask at the front desk when you arrive or call before arriving.

TheRustyScupper
08-15-2009, 08:17 PM
1) Works like charm.
. . . set the WPA security at home before you leave
. . . connect the router in the room
. . . voilą!, go wireless
2) Based upon your room location, you should be good for
. . . the pool
. . . the bar
. . . the restaurant

NOTE: Of course, who wants to be that accessible on vacation? :secret:

statrai
08-15-2009, 10:01 PM
Got a message from DISNEY saying it was almost time for our vacation and that they would be e-mailing special messages throughout our stay. What kind of messages do they send? Will I be able to connect a laptop if it has a built in wireless connection? We will be at All Star Music and the Poly. 3 days to go :mickey:

Polynesian Dweller
08-15-2009, 10:05 PM
1) Works like charm.
. . . set the WPA security at home before you leave
. . . connect the router in the room
. . . voilą!, go wireless
2) Based upon your room location, you should be good for
. . . the pool
. . . the bar
. . . the restaurant

NOTE: Of course, who wants to be that accessible on vacation? :secret:

Have done step one in the past and not connected to the internet at Disney. Do connect at other non-Disney hotels. Seems to be something I'm missing that's a little different at Disney. Do you need to be in a particular mode, like setting up as an access point rather than a router?

TheRustyScupper
08-16-2009, 09:17 AM
Do you need to be in a particular mode, like setting up as an access point rather than a router?

1) No.
2) Just plug the router into the INTERNET cable in the room.
3) If you do not use security, then your wireless works immediately.
4) I recommend WPA security as protection. *
5) You do not know who else has a laptop in range.
6) Would be ugly to have
. . . your data compromised
. . . your passwords stolen
. . . your credit card info disclosed
. . . your hard drive reformatted

* WPA is the most secure you are going to get from the router. If someone wants to crack it, they need to figure a minimum of 10-characters. Pretty tough to do.

CleveRocks
08-16-2009, 11:11 AM
Got a message from DISNEY saying it was almost time for our vacation and that they would be e-mailing special messages throughout our stay. What kind of messages do they send? Will I be able to connect a laptop if it has a built in wireless connection? We will be at All Star Music and the Poly. 3 days to go :mickey:There is no wi-fi at Disney resorts.

If you want to use a laptop to access the Internet at your Disney resort, then you have to PLUG IN to Disney's system using the cable they provide in each room. Or you can follow the instructions above if you bring your own wireless router.

But unless you bring your own wireless router, your wi-fi enabled laptop will NOT be able to connect to the Internet without paying the daily fee to be WIRED through Disney's system in your room.

Zone Stop
08-16-2009, 11:14 AM
Also, FYI, bringing your own router to have wi-fi is highly encouraged by the Front Desk at Old Key West and Saratoga Springs, in case anyone is worried that there'd be an issue there.

Though, as Rusty said, wireless security is your own matter.

Polynesian Dweller
08-16-2009, 11:16 AM
Thanks Rusty. I'll give it another try this year. Your advice about security is something everyone should listen too. Having managed an IT department as my last job I make sure mine's very tight but there are a lot out there that aren't.

I would add to your suggestions that anybody trying this needs to turn off broadcasting of their SSID.

Maleficent's Dad
08-20-2009, 07:46 AM
There is no wi-fi at Disney resorts.
Not entirely accurate...

Wi-Fi is offered at select Disney Resorts and throughout areas of Wide World of Sports. If you have a Wi-Fi enabled laptop or PDA, you can access the internet from common areas at the resort.
I believe it's mostly offered at resorts with convention facilities.

Examples at BC:
Main Lobby area
Stormalong Bay Pool area
And BW:
Convention Center Hallways/Common Areas
Resort Lobby
Main Swimming Pool Area
Concierge Lounges

Not sure of the charges on Wifi, however.