PDA

View Full Version : No honor for disabled veterans!

KAT1811
08-14-2009, 06:24 PM
I am beyond upset. I just got off the phone with a WDW CM in the reservations department. My uncle and cousin are looking to join us on our upcoming family trip. They have never been to WDW and are very excited to have their first experience with us and our children. I am aware that WDW gives current and retired military various discounts on accomodations and tickets. So, since I am booking their trip for them, I inquired about what discounts he may be eligible for. I was told that he is not eligible for any discounts because he is not retired or active, just disabled!!! OMG!!! You mean to tell me that a man that fought for our country, in the Vietnam War of all wars, is not eligible for a discount because he was wounded in battle, disabled as a result, and unable to continue service?!?!? For the first time in my life I am disgusted with Disney. Did I mention that we are traveling to the World for Veterans Day, a huge day for him, one that he holds dear, and it is also our daughter's birthday?! I"m beside myself! Way to honor your disabled veterans Disney!!!

:flag: :sob: :blowup: :shake: :down: :flag:

Carolanne
08-14-2009, 06:47 PM
My dad is a disabled Vietnam Vet (100% disabled) and we have the option of staying at Shades of Green. I don't know if that would be of any help to you (sorry if it's something you already looked into & it didn't work).

Note: we can stay there, but we haven't, so I don't have much (if any at all) info on it.

KAT1811
08-14-2009, 07:05 PM
Shades of Green may be avaliable to him but he wants to stay with us. They don't want to be that far away after all it is a family vacation. I am SO upset. If there were no discounts I could understand but to exclude him is hurtful at best. He was disabled fighting for our country. Sad, very sad. We are there for Veterans Day to boot.

I just sent WDW an email. I could cry I am so disappointed in Disney. I just don't understand. Without the service and sacrifice of our armed forcers there would probably be no Disney. :cry:

SBETigg
08-14-2009, 07:08 PM
That sounds wrong, and keep in mind that CMs get things wrong sometimes. I would call back and speak to a new CM before getting upset. It might be a mistake. I hope.

Tink1
08-14-2009, 07:16 PM
The veteran has to be ~100% disabled and as such has a Government ID that gains him access to any base, insurance benefits and such.

My husband also served and has hearing loss due to his service. He is considered "disabled" due to service. Thankfully he is not 100% disabled and has lived a VERY productive life- something that a 100% disabled vet woudl not have been able to do.

As such he does not qualify for the military rates, nor do I think he should. (but that is soley my opinion)

Nanc

KAT1811
08-14-2009, 07:22 PM
As such he does not qualify for the military rates, nor do I think he should. (but that is soley my opinion)

Just out of curiosity why do you feel that your husband should not be entitled to the same discount that active military and those that served long enough to retire are entitled to? Did he not sacrifice for his country? Did he not fight for our country?

We give government employees discounts, teachers discounts, travel agents discounts, and the list goes on and on but those veterans, like your husband that suffer hearing loss and the like, are not worthy of being honored?

omearac
08-14-2009, 07:33 PM
DH is a police officer and as such he RARELY ever receives a discount because he risks his life every day for our city and country. Do I agree with it - no, not at all, but I don't see where military should be entitled to more discounts all around the world in many, many situations that cops are not.

Please don't read wrong, I do absolutely think a disabled vet should be entitled to the same benefits as active or retired military. I'm just pointing out that there are many folks who risk it all (firefighters too) and receive no such benefit.

Please don't take offense - I don't mean these statements that way.

Tink1
08-14-2009, 07:38 PM
His life post service has been full and complete in spite of his "disability" (we just talk loud in our house unless we don't WANT him to hear us :))

The truly disabled veterans that were unable to return to normal life, they are the ones who suffered far more.

My husband is honored every day we remain a free country.

Nanc

KAT1811
08-14-2009, 07:56 PM
I'm just pointing out that there are many folks who risk it all (firefighters too) and receive no such benefit.

No offense taken at all. But I thought at one time law enforcement and firefighters also got a discount? No more?

His life post service has been full and complete in spite of his "disability" (we just talk loud in our house unless we don't WANT him to hear us :))

Thank heaven that your husband has been able to live a full life after the military but so do many active and retired military. My uncle has also had a good life post service but, he is still a veteran, still fought for our country. Just trying to figure the logic on why one soldier's service is more important than anothers?

I don't mean to offend anyone just trying to wrap my head around it. I can't imagine going overseas to a far away country, leaving my firends and family behind not knowing if I would ever be coming home again. The sacrifices our military makes are unfathomable to me.

I have a friend that has triplets, her husband is an MP, he goes over seas for 6 months to a year at a time and has been since they were babies. He's missed so much of his own life in defense of our country I think he and others like him should be honored each and every day of their lives. I love my country and truly appreciate those who defend her. Retired, active, disabled, whatever the case may be.

KAT1811
08-14-2009, 07:57 PM
My husband is honored every day we remain a free country.

Very true, very true.

medic9016
08-14-2009, 08:04 PM
Please don't read wrong, I do absolutely think a disabled vet should be entitled to the same benefits as active or retired military. I'm just pointing out that there are many folks who risk it all (firefighters too) and receive no such benefit.

The line had to be drawn at some point. If a person was medically retired because of a disability they retain an ID card and service provided by the government. Anyone who has been on active duty and honorably discharged can take there medical records to the VA and file for disability. The VA will review the medical records and make a decision for 0% or up to 100% disability. Someone with a 1% disability is now a disabled vet.
I spent 8 years on active duty in the Marine Corps, the last 15 year as a Firefighter/Paramedic and 5 years Law Enforcement. I don't think we should get any more of a discount than anyone else. It's just the career path we took as anyone else.

omearac
08-14-2009, 08:09 PM
No offense taken at all. But I thought at one time law enforcement and firefighters also got a discount? No more?

No discount from Disney. Carnival or Royal Carribean (can't remember which one) offers a pretty good discount for military, law enforcement, etc. but we spend the extra money on Disney even so. We just can't get enough. I think it's a great place to "escape" reality if only for a couple of weeks a year. :mickey:

omearac
08-14-2009, 08:21 PM
Anyone who has been on active duty and honorably discharged can take there medical records to the VA and file for disability. The VA will review the medical records and make a decision for 0% or up to 100% disability. Someone with a 1% disability is now a disabled vet.

Wow! I didn't know that.

I don't think we should get any more of a discount than anyone else. It's just the career path we took as anyone else.

Good point. You're right. :thumbsup:

Pirate Granny
08-14-2009, 08:32 PM
If he would be entitled to Shades of Green, I would check it out...the rates are a lot lower and I believe he can get three rooms, so you would all be able to stay there. That said, you cannot use Magical Express, nor does it have the theming like Disney resorts. I've seen people complain about the 'bus' service, it only goes once an hour, but we had no issues and if we didn't want to wait, we took the bus to the Poly or GF and walked back...actually the GF used to take us in a golf cart back to the hotel. So that is an option...and you'll be surprised at the rates...and the rooms are HUGE with a balcony or patio. Three pools (or is it two).
:pirate:

magicofdisney
08-14-2009, 10:02 PM
My husband, a disabled vet, was medically discharged after an injury, while on active duty during the first Gulf War.

I guess what bothers me most is that he was unable to return to his chosen profession and that lifestyle. He didn't have a choice but to be discharged. Had the injury not occurred, or been less sever, he would be retired military at this point, receiving all those benefits.

I'm not trying to convey an entitlement mentality. I'm grateful his disability is not 100% because he was able to go back to school and pursue an education in a different field.

Nanc, I genuinely respect the attitude you and your husband have regarding his benefits. It's something to be admired. :) :flag:

KAT1811
08-15-2009, 10:30 AM
* Food for thought *

My grandfather (God rest his soul, he died of Leukemia some years ago which doctors at the time of his death attributed to the time he spent over seas during WWII) was a World War II Veteran. He was the flight engineer and waist gunner on a B-24 Liberator. May 19, 1944 he was shot down over Holland. One of the crew members died in the crash. The surviving members were taken hostage by the Nazi's and brought to a concentration camp. There they stayed for over a year. At first their families were told they were "missing in action" unsure of what had happened to them. After months of speculation and suspense their families were notified that they were in fact "prisoners of war". My grandfather and his crew spent over a year in that concentration camp, they were separated, mistreated (he never would tell anyone what happened to him during his time in the camp it was just too painful to relive) and nearly starved to death. After the war ended he was brought to a Eurpoean hospital to gain enough strength to return to the US (he spent about a month in that hospital). Some time after he was honorably discharged from the Air Force. In Holland there is a memorial honoring the members of Crew 717 of the Boomerang, a B-24J Liberator.

One of the crew members wrote a memoir telling of his experiences. He writes "We don't even pretend to be heroes. Actually, we felt dissappontment and shame for having done so little." I can't imagine having to carry the body of a dead friend and then having to leave them, separated from the remaining members of your crew and then suffering the most horrific treatment for months on end.

During the crash landing the pilot and co-pilot told their crew that they would try to ditch the aircraft in the water and that they could bail immediately but they were going to ride it out. Just the day before they were told by their opperations officer that the average floating time of the bomber was 11 seconds, not even close to enough time for them to make it out alive. Do you know that each and every member of "the crew assumed their prearranged crash landing position, electing to stay" with them.

If my grandfather were alive today (which he could have been if he did not get sick) he would not be eligilbe for the military discount from WDW because he is neither "retired" nor is he "active". It's a shame that men and woman like him didn't give enough for our country to be entitled to a discount but a travel agent can stay at the GF with their annual discount for about $150 a night (a friend of mine has an internet "travel" site and stayed at the GF with her discount for approx. $150 per night) No disrespect to anyone in the travel industry but I think that the veterans of our country are much more deserving.

To all of the veterans out there I thank you for your service and sacrifice. In my eyes you should be honored each and every day. A million thank yous will never be enough. I can't begin to imagine what it feels like to be in a foreign country armed with heavy artillery fighting for my life and those of my friends where the sole objective of the enemy is to kill you. I never want to know what it is like to see a friend killed in front of me. I thank you from the very depths of my heart and soul. :flag:

BrerGnat
08-15-2009, 01:23 PM
Are there no other discounts that he can take advantage of? There are SO many for the fall, it seems...have you looked into ALL of them?

I know it seems unfair to you, but the reason Disney decided to offer this Armed Forces Salute THIS year was, I think, mainly to provide a vacation opportunity for the many troops and their families who have been forced to endure time apart over the past few years due to Operation Iraqi Freedom/Enduring Freedom deployments. I would think that a majority of those who have used this discount this year fall in that category, and the rest who took advantage of it (either current active duty or recently retired) have, in the recent past, endured time away from their families, and have used a vacation THIS year to reconnect to their families. This is, I think, a wonderful way for Disney to honor the sacrifices that the military families make.

I understand your frustration, and I sympathize. My FIL is a Vietnam Vet as well, and he is 100% disabled. He couldn't take a WDW vacation if he wanted to, though. He is in very poor health...

I think you should remember your blessings and be grateful that your uncle is in good enough health to be able to join you on your family's upcoming trip to make those memories. My FIL will never get to experience that with his grandchildren. :(

Also, I think people tend to lose sight that a trip to WDW is not a right. Disney doesn't owe anybody anything. The fact that they have CHOSEN to single out the military THIS year to salute them is a wonderful thing, but no one should expect them to reach out to every single group of people who sacrifices something, because that is a LOT of people. A lot of jobs require sacrifice. Disney is not a charity. They are a business above all else. What they have done this year is to extend some good will towards our troops and their families, and I think that will go a long way, but mostly what it will do is make those families want to come back again...and stay in a DISNEY resort next time, instead of Shades of Green, or off property. THAT is the crux of what Disney was trying to accomplish with this offer, after all...

KAT1811
08-15-2009, 01:48 PM
Are there no other discounts that he can take advantage of? There are SO many for the fall, it seems...have you looked into ALL of them?

It's not about the discount or the $$$. His trip isn't contingent on the discount. It's the principle!

I know it seems unfair to you, but the reason Disney decided to offer this Armed Forces Salute THIS year was,

WDW offer of discounts is not just THIS year. They have been offering discounts for years. Back in 2003 friends of mine got huge discounts on tickets and their room.

I think you should remember your blessings and be grateful that your uncle is in good enough health to be able to join you on your family's upcoming trip to make those memories.

I assure you that I thank God everyday for the belssings he has given me. This is not about me feeling sorry for myself or anyone else just me not agreeing with the mentality.

Also, I think people tend to lose sight that a trip to WDW is not a right. Disney doesn't owe anybody anything. The fact that they have CHOSEN to single out the military THIS year to salute them is a wonderful thing, but no one should expect them to reach out to every single group of people who sacrifices something, because that is a LOT of people. A lot of jobs require sacrifice.

Again, not only this year but this has been for years and I suspect it will be for years. Think about how it must feel to be in the jungle or the desert , or anywhere for that matter lying on your belly praying to God that you make it home to see your wife and children again. Bullets flying past you, not knowing where they are coming from. Looking over to see one of your best friend's dead and tell me that it's just another job that requires sacrifice!

TheVBs
08-15-2009, 03:58 PM
KAT1811, thank you so much for sharing your grandfather's story. I'm actually choked up right now. It does seem inconceivable that disabled veterans would be left out of qualifying for the discount. I understand some of the arguments that others have put forth here, but I agree with you that it's the principal and the message that's being sent. What I'm hoping is that someone set up the guidlines without fully thinking through all of the options that might qualify someone.

BrerGnat
08-15-2009, 04:15 PM
WDW offer of discounts is not just THIS year. They have been offering discounts for years. Back in 2003 friends of mine got huge discounts on tickets and their room.

Again, not only this year but this has been for years and I suspect it will be for years. Think about how it must feel to be in the jungle or the desert , or anywhere for that matter lying on your belly praying to God that you make it home to see your wife and children again. Bullets flying past you, not knowing where they are coming from. Looking over to see one of your best friend's dead and tell me that it's just another job that requires sacrifice!

Yes in 2003, and this was the ONLY time previous that Disney has offered any sort of Military Discount. That was only for 2003...and it was 6 years ago. My DH and I took advantage of that offer...following his 6 month deployment to Iraq, to kick off the war. He slept in a dumpster for 3 months, during the initial campaign. He's a Marine. They were the first ones in there.

My DH also spent almost ALL of 2008 deployed to Iraq. He was there for 10 months out of the year. I stayed home with our two sons, one of whom has Autism.

He is preparing to deploy again, to Afghanistan, next year.

I don't need a lecture about sacrifice.

I was not trying to belittle or attack you. I was simply presenting another side of the coin, so to speak. There are, literally, thousands of Veterans. I'm sure that, as a company, Disney has nothing but the utmost respect and honor for them, as do, I think, MOST Americans. Not offering partially disabled Veterans a discount to the hotels/parks is not, in my opinion, dishonorable. As mentioned earlier, they have to draw the line somewhere.

omearac
08-15-2009, 05:13 PM
* Food for thought *:flag:

Very, very touching memories. Thank you for sharing.

redlegwife96
08-15-2009, 08:01 PM
Yes in 2003, and this was the ONLY time previous that Disney has offered any sort of Military Discount. That was only for 2003...and it was 6 years ago.

I was not trying to belittle or attack you. I was simply presenting another side of the coin, so to speak. There are, literally, thousands of Veterans. I'm sure that, as a company, Disney has nothing but the utmost respect and honor for them, as do, I think, MOST Americans. Not offering partially disabled Veterans a discount to the hotels/parks is not, in my opinion, dishonorable. As mentioned earlier, they have to draw the line somewhere.

There are millions of veterans. In the Active Duty Army alone there are over 500,000+ this year. In this tough economy, I agree with BrerGnat that even Disney would have to set a limit. If someone is not an ID card holder, then they can't access the Military Ticket Office on military installations. That office is the main distributor of the military salute tickets and maintain the guideline that Disney set, even though you can purchase the tickets at the gate. But you must have a military id to prove your service, or else anyone could purchase the ticket even if they haven't served. You also have to turn in paperwork so that you can't buy salute tickets in the future. We were eligible for the tickets, but there are much better deals to be had at Disney if you don't get the salute tickets. The free dining is a much better deal if you are going to be there for more than three days. We qualify for the tickets, but won't use them at the Poly in December because we got a better "regular deal". Also, there were no military deals or dining deals last year when we paid full price like everyone else.

I appreciate all men and women who have put themselves in the harms way to protect our freedom, past and present. I also understand that Disney is most likely trying to give the current families and children of multiple deployments some relief from the stress. We as parents chose the lifestyle, but these children did not. Anything to bring a little happiness while they live without their mom or dad for 12 months at a time is a wonderful thing. I think most people understand the discounts to Active Duty. I am not sure the rhyme or reason with all the other military categories and unfortunately your uncle falls into that mess. I hope that you have a wonderful trip no matter what.

:stitch2:

TheRustyScupper
08-15-2009, 08:12 PM
1) Alas, this discussion is turning to the Dark Side.
2) There has to be limits to all programs.
3) This is one such limit.
4) To vent is fine, but let's keep it sane.
5) I certainly would like to see more benefits to vets.
6) But, I recognize there must be boundaries.
7) I would like to see free/reduced rates.
8) However, where/when does one draw the line.

I think a Combat Medical Badge, a Purple Heart with an Oak Leaf cluster (two Purple Hearts) and a Bronze Star with an Oak Leaf cluster (two Bronze Stars) and with a "V-Device" for Valor might qualify, but who am I to complain?

Melanie
08-15-2009, 08:17 PM
There was an offer in 2002 and 2003, and like Natalie stated, there hasn't been one since then. I didn't sit around in '07 when my hubby spent much of the year in Iraq wondering where my Disney discount was. I just wanted him to get home alive.

My thoughts remain the same as when I posted in the Armed Forces Salute thread - this is a 'salute' to those who are serving now during this tough time, and those who gave a significant portion of their life (20+ year vets) serving our country. It's a nice gesture that is very appreciated, but one Disney absolutely didn't have to make at all. Natalie and Nanci's statements are pretty much right on! Like redlegwife96 pointed out, many, many equivalent discounts are available to all this year. Hope your family can take advantage. :thumbsup:

KAT1811
08-15-2009, 08:20 PM
BrerGnat,

Please know that I hold your husband's serivce and others like him in the highest regard and truly feel that, to my knowledge, their job is the most dangerous and requires the most sacrifice. Please thank him for his service and know that he will be in my prayers and I wish that he has a safe return from Afghanistan. Soldiers like him, both past and present, hold a special place in my heart.

Sincerely,
Kimberly

Melanie
08-15-2009, 08:26 PM
Soldiers like him, both past and present, hold a special place in my heart.

Just a little pet peeve. PLEASE excuse me and know that I'm aware you had no way of knowing. Natalie's husband is a Marine. Thank you to all Marines, Sailors, Airmen and Soldiers, past and present. :flag:

KAT1811
08-15-2009, 08:29 PM
I want to reiterate that it isn't about the discount or the money just the principle. I'm sure that the safety of our troops is paramount in their families lives, a safe return first and foremost. I think this is WAY off from where I started and agree that this is turning to the Dark Side.

1.) I have no benefit from his proposed discount but feel that he and others like him deserve it. If a travel agent can get a break why not all those that defend and have defended our country?

2.) We will be in Disney regardless. DH and I do very well as did his uncle post service money is not the motivation here.

3.) I would gladly pay more for my vacation in order to give the men and women of the military past and present a break. After all they did risk their lives defending my freedom.

This thread has taken a path I do not wish to travel. Thank you to those that expressed interest in my grandfather's story, he was a great man. Today is the anniversary of his death and we miss him terribly.

Jeff
08-15-2009, 08:50 PM
Looks like a good place to close this discussion.