PDA

View Full Version : Steamers on DLC

omearac
08-14-2009, 05:31 PM
I know irons are not allowed, but what about steamers? My steamer is not the little tiny travel steamer, but it will fit in a suitcase. Anyone ever bring one on a cruise?

ElenitaB
08-15-2009, 12:11 AM
From what I understand, steamers are not allowed either. (I didn't bring "My Little Steamer" and really missed it.)

That said, this is what DCL says about what electrical devices are allowed and which are prohibited:

What electronic devices or appliances are not permitted on board?
Personal VCR/DVD players are not allowed because of compatibility issues with the stateroom TVs. Stateroom categories 1, 2 and 3 feature DVD/CD players. Concierge has a wide range of movies available, ranging from those suitable for kids to those for adults. Guests can make arrangements to check out the movies through the concierge staff at no additional charge.

Nintendo and other video game consoles are not allowed because of compatibility issues with the stateroom TVs. Children can visit the Oceaneer Lab during Family Time to play games on the latest in gaming technology. Teens can play at the Stack or Aloft, depending upon the ship. Guests should check their Personal Navigator for times.

Personal irons are not allowed in staterooms due to safety concerns. Irons are available for use in the laundry facilities located on decks 2, 6 and 7.

Seasonal and celebratory lighting strings are prohibited due to safety concerns.

Metal detectors are not allowed on the ship or on Castaway Cay, as any object found using these devices would need to be returned to the owner or donated to charity.

Electronic devices or appliances that are permitted include:
- Laptops
- Cell phone and camera battery chargers
Walkie-talkies and two-way radios (e.g., Motorola, JVC). Please be aware that the amount of steel in the ship's infrastructure may cause some "dead zones" and the radios may not transmit in these areas.
- A small portable fan. However, please contact Guest Services to have the Chief Electrician approve the use of your particular appliance in the stateroom.

sara114
08-15-2009, 07:36 AM
Wow....I didn't know personal DVD players are not allowed ! My question is this, we bring one for the grandson to watch on the plane. If we bring this one, but we don't use it on the cruise, what do we do with it during the cruise part?

ElenitaB
08-15-2009, 01:33 PM
I saw that and thought it was a bit odd myself. I'll confess that we have brought along a personal DVD player and DS used it in our cabin as a standalone device. I think what they're more worried about is people trying to hook them up to the TVs in the cabin.

If you're not going to use it, you can always store it in your luggage or in the safe.

omearac
08-15-2009, 05:00 PM
I didn't see anything that expressly said no steamers, but I am reluctant to bring mine because it is not a travel steamer.

I read that the wrinkle removing spray works pretty well and someone on another blog wrote that she brings a small spray bottle with water and blow dries wrinkles. Guess I'll try those ideas.

:)

ElenitaB
08-15-2009, 10:46 PM
The anti-wrinkle sprays do work well... just be sure to use them in the morning so that they have time to dry and "do their thing" during the day. You can also steam up the bathroom and hang your clothes on the rack in there.

One warning that I will share. On our last cruise, I brought my son's white oxford shirt over to the laundry room on Deck Two to iron it there :iron:... it was wrinkled from being in the suitcase so I used steam. HUGE mistake: for some reason the ironing board cover was not water resistant and the dark green dye got all over DS's shirt. :eek: (Who buys an ironing board cover that is not water resistant?) I was NOT a happy camper. I called Guest Services and it ended up taking several phone calls and a "why don't you just have him wear a polo shirt" (to formal night), which was not the correct answer in my book. Particularly since I had went to the trouble and expense to buy a new Mickey tie for formal night and then had to run all over BWI before our cruise trying to find the package. So the moral of the story is: do not try to press things yourself using their irons. You can send it to the laundry on board or try your luck with a wrinkle release spray.

omearac
08-16-2009, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the advice, Ellen. I will sure not iron anything! ;)