PDA

View Full Version : Stroller??

branpau
08-14-2009, 05:06 PM
This will be our first trip in Sept. with our 4 (turning 5 while we're there) year old. We've been told to carry a stroller. He is big for his age so....should we just rent one from Disney, buy one to bring or what??? Any suggestions???

momof3+twins
08-14-2009, 05:11 PM
I have a 6 year old that is motorly challenged (walks, falls, is slow)...no biggy but no way is he walking the parks. I am bringing a umbrella stroller. He used one last year too. Disney's rentals are outrageous. He is really too big for it but I am not carrying that 50lb kid. So, I would say go with a cheap umbrella stroller since he might break it being that he is too big for it. It will be better than walking and I think he will be happy to have it even if it is a little small.

Strmchsr
08-14-2009, 05:29 PM
:welcome: to Intercot!!! Always nice to have another Alabamian on the boards. :number1:

If possible, I would suggest bringing your own stroller. Yes, it's a bit of a hassle, but WDW strollers are now running $15/day. Add that up and over a 4-5 day trip you've spent enough renting a stroller to buy a really nice one. So, for our youngest we've just brought our own the last 2 trips.

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-14-2009, 05:43 PM
:welcome: to intercot

You will need a stroller. If you can, I would buy one and bring it with you (since you won't need it for too long, you might even be able to borrow one from a friend, or try a second-hand shop).

The strollers at Disney are just too expensive, but I know that our DD needed one on our first trip (she was 6), she just got too worn out by the end of the day.

javamama
08-14-2009, 05:48 PM
Definately bring your own, my ds has gone the last three years(he'll be 6 in Oct) He's used a stroller at some point on every trip, plus it's great to have in the airport if you have a super long walk to the gate or baggage claim. Another plus is it's great to carry bags around the parks, I have those mommy hooks on mine plus my diaper/tote bag w/tons of stuff in there so my stroller does the work for me. Have a great time!

crazypoohbear
08-14-2009, 06:16 PM
bring one from home, it is cheaper and more convienent.
you can keep him in it while waiting for busses or for walking to your car late in the day..

PAYROLL PRINCESS
08-14-2009, 10:23 PM
Bring your own. It's especially handy after a long day at the parks when you get back to your resort and you have another long walk to your room.

branpau
08-15-2009, 12:15 AM
Majority wins! Thanks everyone for your input. Now to find a stroller! LOL

JPL
08-15-2009, 12:21 AM
I took two 4/12 year olds in June and you will need a stroller! We endup buying 2 at WDW since it was still cheaper than renting one. I would suggest ordering one from a place online but it also comes in handy at the airport. You don't realize how much walking is involved just getting to the plane.

wdwnutz
08-16-2009, 11:17 PM
We bought a Graco Ipo stroller which folds up like an umbrella stroller, only weighs about 17 lbs. and holds a child up to 50 lbs. It also reclines and has a small basket underneath. It was around $80 from Amazon with free shipping. We also got a cup holder/junk holder that straps onto the handle and comes in very handy. It was around $10 and I think it was made by Sunshine Kids also on Amazon. We also have a sunshield that extends the visor that is on the stroller (very short and doesn't really help) which I think is made by Kiddopotomus at Babies R Us.

kevinkbl
08-16-2009, 11:25 PM
I have a three year old and a six year old and both needed carriages from getting tired from walking. I would buy two cheap umbrella carriage and just leave it in Disney.

Also, does anyone know how to post your own question???????????

HAVE FUN!!!!!!:mickey:

wendybird
08-16-2009, 11:45 PM
Not sure for Disney World, but at Disneyland, Disney Visa holders receive free stroller rentals . . .might be worth checking.

Disney Doll
08-17-2009, 02:00 PM
Not sure for Disney World, but at Disneyland, Disney Visa holders receive free stroller rentals . . .might be worth checking.

Just DL not WDW.

mamasun
08-17-2009, 06:33 PM
I am on the other side of the fence on this one. We rent a double everytime we go. I just plan on the cost when saving for the trip. It is expensive, but I don't worry about lugging it on and off the transportation or about it getting stolen. They are great in my opinion- lots of room, handle well, and shaded. I set a blanket in the bottom for some added cushion. The last time we were there my girls were 5 and 7 and could go all day due to the fact they were in the stroller and rested. We are returning in Oct and we will rent a double again for them ages 6 and 8!

Ed
08-17-2009, 06:48 PM

Hi! :welcome: to Intercot.

It's pretty easy. Let's say you want to post a question in The Water Cooler. Click on The Water Cooler. Up near the top of the list of posts, underneath the "User CP" you'll see a button marked "New Topic". Click on that, enter a title for your post, then drop down into the text box and type up a storm. When you're done, you can click on Submit New Thread or Preview Post at the bottom of the text box. If you preview, once you're satisfied it looks the way you want it to, click on the Submit New Thread button.

That's it! You're done!

You'll get the hang of it, and pretty quickly it will just come as second nature to you.

:thumbsup:

tink'72
08-24-2009, 12:19 PM
I have a three year old and a six year old and both needed carriages from getting tired from walking. I would buy two cheap umbrella carriage and just leave it in Disney.

HAVE FUN!!!!!!:mickey:

Did you figure this one out?

Erin C.
08-24-2009, 12:51 PM
Ditto....definitely need a stroller....:thumbsup:

VWL Mom
08-24-2009, 12:54 PM
I think the stroller question at that age depends on the individual child. I had one that refused to ride in one at that age and one that preferred it. You could always try without it and need be buy one there. They had really sturdy looking umbrella strollers at the park gates. I think they ran about $40. Maybe someone here can verify that or you could call WDW merchandising and I'm sure they would know.

MickeyandTink
08-25-2009, 12:30 PM
I would definitely bring your own, just in case. Odds are you will need it at some point. We took a good jogging stroller last year for our then 2 and 7 year olds to share. It worked great, but it was a pain getting it on and off the bus so this year we are bringing a heavy duty umbrella stroller. While renting is more convenient, it's almost $100 cheaper for us to bring our own (even after the cost of the stroller).

bkfree
08-26-2009, 10:41 AM
I am also in the other camp. We Rent.
FIrst trip we brought ours and found out that we really never needed it other than in the parks.
Next two trips we rented and liked this so much better. NO need to carry it around, folding and unfolding it. We also found that our kids lOVED the Disney strollers and they were very easy to push around. They were bigger and much more comfy for our kids, who were not toddlers and are tall.I also love the nice canopy and big easy pockets for our stuff.
We also found that many days our kids wanted to walk the first half of the day, we just rented one when they got tired. They really see and do so much more when not in the stroller.
The best though, was our last two trips were strollerless and they did awesome and never once got tired or complained. Yippee.

gaffz70
08-27-2009, 08:29 AM
We just returned from WDW and we used 2 umbrella strollers, one for our 5yr old and one for our 8yr old. There were sometimes when we were not spending the whole day in the park that my 8 yr old walked...but for the most part he used the stroller. It was much easier for my dh and i to maneuver them in strollers...when one was walking they couldn't keep up and it was so crowded that could have easily gotten lost in the shuffle.

Belster
08-27-2009, 09:05 AM
My son is the exact same age as your son and we are going in October. I will be bringing our double because my 18 month old will also be with us....but if it were only my 5 year old, yes I would bring an umbrella stroller...no renting here they are way too expensive. You can buy an umbrella stroller for the amount you will pay to rent...in fact you can probably buy 5 of them...lol.

Dakota Rose
08-27-2009, 10:42 PM
If you're renting a car, you might consider stopping by wal-mart when you get there. You can pick up an umbrella stroller for under $20 and then leave it behind when you're done. That's what we're thinking of doing this next time.

disneykid@hrt
08-27-2009, 11:53 PM
I just found a really nice stroller on Ebay for a decent price. Make sure it has a cup holder, and try for some storage or like an under-carriage.

Plus, my mom always likes to push the stroller when we go on outings together because she says it acts like a walker!! Added benefit for Grandma too!;)

GottaLvDisney
08-28-2009, 09:30 AM
When we went in 2007 I brought a cheap umbrella stroller for my then 5yo DD based on the recommedations from here. I was soooooo glad I did. I didn't really think she'd use it much, but I was wrong. It was nice at the end of a long day, when she was tired & not-so-much feeling the Disney magic to have our own stroller.

For that matter, my 8yo twins occasionally complained that they didn't have a place to ride and would sit in it for a bit too!

momofdisneyprincess
08-28-2009, 09:37 AM
Hi there. I'm not sure if you have already gone but I just purchased a new stroller for my son for our May 2010 trip thanks to this board!! On the budget board this is a thread for the Maclaren Volo for $55 that includes shipping and handling. It also comes with a rain cover. Considering the stroller itself is usually over $100 without the rain cover I thought this was a great deal. Plus, the stroller is suited for up to 55lbs. It doesn't recline and has some stains in the mesh (factory defect I assume) but my son usually stains things pretty quickly anyway. I would definitely bring a stroller though.