PDA

View Full Version : A fun story about planning. And being married.

scooterca42
08-14-2009, 10:36 AM
“So – I can’t find the C-cards,” my husband said, carefully casual, as he passed me the toast. “Looked everywhere.”

I wasn’t to be side tracked from a perfectly good rant, though. I was holding forth on the subject of injustice - wonderful summer weather forecast for the one weekend we couldn’t go to the family cottage to take advantage of it. :mad:

However, his comment wasn’t just to try and de-rail my grumbling. I knew why he was asking about it. The C-card was our proof of our certification in scuba diving, and was required to be shown every time we rented tanks, or went on a dive. Anywhere.

Maybe the rant would distract him.

“It’s been raining and cold all summer, this weekend is supposed to be perfect weather! We should be on the dock and swimming all weekend! It’s not fair!” I grumbled, and finished my coffee.

“Listen,” he said, as if it were just occurring to him. Evidently he was really desperate, and he played a card I hadn’t expected. “Find the C-cards for me, and…and I’ll book Divequest for this Disney trip to make up for not going to the cottage this weekend!”

He smiled at me. Oh, that smile is devastating, equal parts little boy and sophisticated man. I grinned back weakly, mind racing.

Now what? I had already booked the dive in The Seas, in Epcot, about three weeks ago, and found and secured the C-cards with our passports – mine specifically – so I wouldn’t forget them. It was to be his 50th birthday present. :secret:

“Well, where’d you look?” I hedged, trying to salvage the surprise. If he’d just poked around half-heartedly maybe I had a chance.

“Everywhere,” he said morosely. “I ripped the house apart. Maybe we need to order replacements.”

Rats. Nothing half-hearted here. One of my husbands’ attributes is his determination, I know it well – ask me sometime how he persuaded me to date him in the first place… Anyway, I knew the signs, and I knew he wouldn’t be dissuaded. Nothing would distract him until he found the cards, or knew the reason why. ;)

Sigh.

“You can’t book Divequest,” I said flatly.

“Why not?”

“I have already.”

This is typical. I went on to explain that I’d booked us as a surprise for him for his fiftieth birthday, which we were celebrating at the World. I had plans to present it during our lunch at Le Cellier, and had figured out how to smuggle our suits with us to Epcot that morning.

He had enlisted my mother to bring my prescription mask down from the cottage. He’d started researching replacing the C-cards and booking a tour as a surprise – for me – and investigated the availability. On Thursday. At 4:30 pm. Yep. It was the Thursday I’d already booked us on!

We’ve been married for twenty three years – I guess it’s to be expected! :thumbsup:

SBETigg
08-14-2009, 10:38 AM
That's really sweet. You're made for each other. :)

Mickey'sGirl
08-14-2009, 10:45 AM
That story reminds me of Gordon Pinsent in "A Gift to Last" from back in the day.

What a lovely story!

When are you diving? My DH will be Diving in a couple of weeks......

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-14-2009, 11:02 AM
That is a great story! I love it!

Enjoy your drive :thumbsup:

brownie
08-14-2009, 04:20 PM
Great story! Maybe my bride will surprise me by planning a surprise trip to Disney World.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
08-14-2009, 11:32 PM
Awww, that's so sweet. Sorry he spoiled your surprise though.

mouseketeer mom
08-16-2009, 09:04 AM
Awww! I love it!:):)

RedSoxFan
08-16-2009, 11:14 AM
Sweet Story.:cloud9:

RocknBev
08-16-2009, 11:16 AM
Great story:cloud9:
Thanks for sharing!

BluewaterBrad
08-16-2009, 06:36 PM