PDA

View Full Version : Southwest question

Jeri Lynn
08-14-2009, 07:21 AM
Hi,
If the fares go down and you cancel and rebook, is there a way to only use a part of a credit that is left, or does it automatically use the entire credit??

Hope this question makes sense!

momofdisneyprincess
08-14-2009, 10:11 AM
I just did this two weeks ago. I clicked the Change button and put in my confirmation number. It then put up all flights for the same day I was previously flying. I clicked the cheaper fare and saved. It then gave me a $22 credit. I know before, you had to cancel a flight, receive the entire credit, then apply the credit to a new trip. This is not so any longer. I found this way much easier. If you are not travelling the same days, then you need to cancel and that other stuff. If you are still travelling the same days you just need to change. I hope this makes sense. Thanks.

Fangorn
08-15-2009, 07:05 PM
I need some more info before I can answer the question.

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're trying to accomplish. Are you just wanting to use, say, $50 of the credit and pay the rest of the new ticket with a credit card? Or do you have another credit with SWA that you're wanting to use as well?

Steve

Ian
08-15-2009, 08:34 PM
Let me lay out what I think you're asking ...

You book a flight on Southwest for $200. Later you find the flight for $150. So you cancel your first flight and now have a $200 flight credit.

You use that credit to re-book your $150 tickets. Once you're done with this, your Ticketless Travel funds balance is $50.

Does this answer your question?

Jeri Lynn
08-16-2009, 06:57 AM
Thanks guys, I know my question was not quite clear.

I booked flights for four of us, using my credit card. The flights all went down so now I have a
credit. What I was wondering is say I have a 200 dollar credit, can I book a ticket but only use a portion of that credit and save the rest??

It's tough, I should have charged everyone's ticket to their own credit card, we are four women (different families) going down, so I used my credit card.

Ian
08-16-2009, 09:43 AM
I was wondering is say I have a 200 dollar credit, can I book a ticket but only use a portion of that credit and save the rest??Yes. Ticketless Travel Funds with Southwest work just like a gift card. You charge against it until it has a zero balance. You don't have to use it all at once.

NotaGeek
08-16-2009, 03:28 PM
The best part of Southwest's policy on unused funds is that they don't have to be used towards the same person that had the original ticket ... you can transfer them to another person!

Ed
08-16-2009, 04:00 PM
Yes. Ticketless Travel Funds with Southwest work just like a gift card. You charge against it until it has a zero balance. You don't have to use it all at once.

Not exactly. :nono: I just went through this.

The "surplus" after you use some of your credit must be used, and your travel completed, no later than one year from the date of the original purchase.

Example (using round numbers for simplicity):

On August 15, 2009 you purchase a ticket that costs $500, but have to cancel that trip. On September 20th, you book another trip costing $300, drawing on that credit. You now have $200 credit left. You have to use that entire $200 and complete your travel by August 15, 2010, or you lose the $200.

In some cases, SWA might allow an extension, but will charge a fee for the extension; I believe it is $50.

DizneyRox
08-17-2009, 12:59 PM
I believe what is being asked is there is a $200 credit ($50 for each of the 4 tickets). They want to only use their $50 credit and not dip into the other $150 because it really belongs to someone else.

My advice would be, use those credits if you can, and then repay the people the $50. There's no guarantee they will use that $50 each, so if you can use it, it's better for everyone. You're still only really using the $50 of your credit.

If you do use any part of the credit on new tickets, ALL THE FUNDS use for that will revert to the date of the original booking of the flights for which you have the credit.

For example, Jan 1st, you book 4 tickets for $200 each. In Feb, the price goes down to $150 each, so you get the credit. You now have a $200 credit. In July, you decide you want to book a trip for December at a cost of $200. That reservation in July, if you use the a credit, will have a date of Jan 1st in terms of the date you must use the funds by if you cancel. Doesn't matter if you use $1 of credit, or the entire $200 from the Jan 1st reservation. If you use only $1 of the credit, and need to cancel, the remaining $199 will also expire on 1/1 if you don't use it.

Hope that helps, while I love Southwest, their travel credit polcy is a little cumbersome at times. It's still one of the best but it pays to know the ins and outs to take full advantage of your money.

Ian
08-17-2009, 05:13 PM
Ahh okay ... if that's what's being asked, I think the answer is no. I think Southwest automatically draws from Ticketless Travel Funds until they're exhausted ... you can't specify a dollar amount to use.

Jeri Lynn
08-18-2009, 09:09 AM
thanks everyone!

What I am doing is having the girls pay me what the new ticket price is and I am going to keep the credit, I know I will be going back to Disney next year so it will get used.

To make things easier next time I will charge everyone's ticket to their own credit card.