PDA

View Full Version : Any lawyers out there?

KEYONNAH
08-13-2009, 09:50 PM
Need legal help. My problem is that I need out of my lease to my apartment. I've been there for over 4 years with no problems until the last two months. The apt next to me was rented 2 months ago by a felon. He has been in and out of prison since 1986 for robbery and home invasion. He spends most of his time harassing me. My apt mgr doesn't care. She won't evict him unless he hurts her. I have over 8 months to go. I can't handle being here any longer. I keep all windows and doors double locked. Someone please help.

lawgirl
08-14-2009, 01:22 AM
Hi there! Not actually practicing anymore, but I can offer some advice...other lawyers out there please correct me if I missstate anything.

In my experience, it helps to find out who the parent company is that owns your apartment complex. I would contact them immediately and explain the situation. I don't think they are going to want to be responsible for any harassment charges, etc... I would call them and also write a letter. It might be worth contacting a local attorney to draft the letter for you.

I would document any harassing phone calls or episodes with your neighbor (dates, times, specific actions / words that made you feel scared).

Google "landlord / tenant laws" for your state. If I'm not mistaken, most states have enacted the uniform landlord / tenant act, and I believe this is probably covered somewhere in all that.

I would first do some research and find out what parent company owns your complex...if they won't respond or work to solve your issue, I would contact a local attorney.

Good luck!

Sneaky Pete
08-14-2009, 01:46 AM
it is difficult to offer much help but the advice given by lawgirl is good and I would also advise the Landlord that you intend to hold them responsible for anything that happens to you or your property. Most companies hate to have those "warning" letters in their file after the fact.

You may also be able to sub-let the apt. until the lease expires if you can find an 8 mon tenant. Good luck!

Dixie Springs
08-14-2009, 02:16 PM
DD had similar situation. A real creep/psycho nextdoor. Leases are a bugger to get out of, even for legit reasons like yours. I wrote a letter, cited a police report, etc. They let her out of the lease. It's a good thing, because I would be serving time right now for my plan 'B'.