PDA

View Full Version : Grand Floridian - 2 hours to kill

tys_mommy
08-13-2009, 03:35 PM
The kids will be doing the Pirate Adventure at the Grand Floridian - what should hubby and I do while we wait.

A littl background - Saturday morning - 9:30 till 11:30 - no park tickets for that day.

Darbylew
08-13-2009, 03:43 PM
I would just walk around and enjoy the resort.
It is so beautiful. :thumbsup::mickey:

Wrigley
08-13-2009, 04:16 PM
I'd take the monorail around to visit the other resorts. It's always fun to just roam around other resorts-you could visit Contemporary and Polynesian. :mickey:

tys_mommy
08-13-2009, 04:39 PM
Is there anything in particular we should make it a point to see I guess is a better way to phrase my question.

GrandFlo
08-13-2009, 05:26 PM
When DS did the Pirate Adventure, DH and I would have a nice breakfast and take a walk along the water from the GF to the Poly. We stay at the GF all the time, and I can still spend hours just sitting in the lobby and looking in the shops.

TammiMcMan
08-13-2009, 06:14 PM
I would skip having breakfast with the kids and instead eat with my husband in the GF Cafe. If you have some time, you could walk to the Poly and take the boat or monorail back.

The GF is beautiful, but if you aren't staying there, just sitting in the lobby or walking the grounds is going to get boring after about 20 minutes ;). There's no band or piano player that early in the morning.

SurferStitch
08-13-2009, 07:10 PM
You could book a spa treatment for you and your DH, then have breakfast afterward.

We've found that if we only do one treatment (like a shorter massage or a 50 minute facial), you are easily in and out in an hour. We've never had to wait past our scheduled time at the spa. That gives you another hour to enjoy a quiet breakfast at the Grand Flo Cafe.

We love doing this. It's always nice to relax at a nice breakfast after the spa.

I also agree that it's a very nice walk between the Flo and the Poly. You could just have breakfast at the Grand Flo Cafe, shop around a little, then head to the Poly. They also have some nice shops.

TammiMcMan
08-13-2009, 11:16 PM
A little off topic, but I hate zipping through a spa treatment. For the top prices you pay there, I like going in early to enjoy the hot tub and sauna, then relaxing in the lounge afterwards and re-hydrating. For me, even a 50 minute spa treatment, I would allow for a minimum of 2 hours. There's no way could I fit in a massage and breakfast in that short window of time. A pedicure definitely, but not a spa treatment ;) .

Melanie
08-14-2009, 08:24 AM
When our boys did the Pirate Adventure, my hubby and I ate at the Grand Floridian Cafe and then just walked the grounds. In hindsight, I wish we'd monorailed it over to the Poly and done the same over there.

SurferStitch
08-14-2009, 09:18 AM
A little off topic, but I hate zipping through a spa treatment. For the top prices you pay there, I like going in early to enjoy the hot tub and sauna, then relaxing in the lounge afterwards and re-hydrating. For me, even a 50 minute spa treatment, I would allow for a minimum of 2 hours. There's no way could I fit in a massage and breakfast in that short window of time. A pedicure definitely, but not a spa treatment ;) .

Yeah, see...I don't care for the hot tub and sauna (I hate sharing hot tubs with people other than my husband. I know it's probably treated/filtered and all, but....). DH also dislikes communal hot tubs. I also don't care for the sauna. I've done it a few times, but it's just not for me. I have to say we've never zipped through, and totally got our money's worth out of every treatment. Very relaxed pace with no rush at all.

They do also have wonderful 25 minute treatments to get a taste.

As for afterward...I prefer to head back to the resort and lounge by the pool or in the room. Much more relaxing since the spa lounge only has chairs. I don't dehydrate during a facial anyway. If anything, I'm much more hyrdrated (and glowing)! I'm not one to sip water constantly all day, so 80 minutes in a therapy doesn't parch me.

We also like to head straight to breakfast sometimes right from the spa. I always seem to build an appetite when I'm there, but not a thirst.

Anyway, I just threw that option in since it might be the only time during their stay that they could get away for something special like that. If you would feel rushed, skip breakfast.

tinksmom02
08-14-2009, 11:57 AM
Our daughter and her friend did this last year. We put them on the ship, then caught the resort launch to the Poly (actually followed the pirate ship!), had breakfast at Kona, and then leisurely strolled back to the GF, with plenty of time to spare.

DisneyDoug2
08-14-2009, 12:04 PM
I agree with visiting the other resorts. Don't forget about the WL! Go down to the boat launch and catch it there or take the monorail over to the CR explore there for a little while then take the boat to the WL.

TheRustyScupper
08-14-2009, 03:24 PM
I would skip having breakfast with the kids and instead eat with my husband in the GF Cafe. If you have some time, you could walk to the Poly and take the boat or monorail back.

1) Yep.
2) Then, sit on the Poly beach with a Mimosa.
3) ID there is still time, monorail to the Contemporary.
4) That should clear the 2-hrs.

SBETigg
08-14-2009, 03:32 PM
I like the plan to breakfast at the GF Cafe. Two hours isn't really a lot of time, so a nice leisurely breakfast, shopping at Basin White (I can spend lots of time and money there) and the other shops, walking around the grounds, that's two hours or more right there. You could always split to between the GF and Poly, too. Both have great shops and places to walk around.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
08-14-2009, 10:15 PM
I love to shop so I'd go to the Poly and check out their shops, especially the Wyland Gallery. Then if I had time, I'd go to the CR and shop around there too.

jonahbear2006
08-18-2009, 04:03 AM
I would have my camera ready and spend that time taking great ground photography of the grand floridian and possibly the poly, as well. The macro and landscape shots of the resorts make great enlargements for our walls. When I was done taking pictures, I would've come with my swim suit underneath and lay out on the beach for a bit and enjoy some relaxation time in the sun.

SFTrny
08-23-2009, 09:14 AM
I've heard that you can rent a poolside cabana at the GF.

TammiMcMan
08-23-2009, 11:40 AM
I've heard that you can rent a poolside cabana at the GF.The cabana's are beautiful and they can be rented for either a half day or a full day. You do have to be a registered guest of the GF however.

Hammer
08-23-2009, 11:54 AM
The cabana's are beautiful and they can be rented for either a half day or a full day. You do have to be a registered guest of the GF however.

Tammi, I have a question regarding this activity. Can I rent a cabana for a half-day as a DVC member since we have pool hopping privileges?

TammiMcMan
08-23-2009, 12:11 PM
Hi Christine, I honestly don't know the answer to that question. There are only 3 rentals, so I would think that they do limit them to guests only. It's worth calling the GF marina though and checking with them.

Flower
08-23-2009, 03:23 PM
My friend and I dropped our boys off at the pirate cruise and she & I had pedicures at the GF spa. Following the pedis our husbands met up with us and we wandered around GF until the cruise was over.

Incidently - the boys had an Awesome TIME on the pirate cruise!:pirate: