PDA

View Full Version : DW, new to swimming.

Live4WDW
08-13-2009, 01:22 AM
:mickey: Hey all. My DW is just learning to swim, is learning basics, and can float on her back pretty good. A little timid about it still. A good way to go tho. We plan on going to TL and are curious to some of the water rides, that when you come to the end of them, ( I of course will be with her) is the water very deep? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks:mickey::swim: Swim, Gina Swim, I am so proud of her!!!!:thumbsup:

wire0monkey
08-13-2009, 08:00 AM
A lot of the rides have narrow, shallow "landing" areas, so she should fine for most of it.

GrandFlo
08-13-2009, 05:03 PM
Just an FYI---I found the waves at TLs wave pool to be very strong. Me, DH and DS were in the pool, at about 3 feet and DS and me were knocked down when the waves started up. Not a big deal, but might scare a new swimmer.
I guess it depends on what part of the wave pool you are in, in the deeper sections, people were just bobbing up and down.

As for the rides/slides we went on, they all ended in shallow pools.

Also, if you go on any slides, you should go first so you can wait for her at the bottom. You can't wait at the exact end of the slide, but having you all ready at the bottom waiting for her may make her feel more comfortable. We did this when DS was learning to swim.

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-13-2009, 06:53 PM
I agree with the above post.

The slides all exit into pretty shallow water, so I wouldn't worry about that.

However, I find wave pools in general to be a bit harder (and I'm a pretty strong swimmer). The waves themselves are strong, and with the crowds it is easy to get bumped and loose your "timing" and get a mouthful of water.

It is so awesome that your DW is learning how to swim, my DH doesn't swim, and it is hard to learn as an adult.

In the wave pool, I would find an area with less crowds :)

Live4WDW
08-13-2009, 07:02 PM
:mickey: hey all thanks. Will probably skip the wave pool. But take advantage of everything else. Thanks:mickey:

Buttercup
08-13-2009, 07:40 PM
There's a nice shallow & calm pool at the base of the Crush & Gusher waterslide. It's sort-of separate from the 'landing' of the waterslide and it's nice & shallow -- good if you just want to cool off and still be able to touch bottom. Plus, it's usually quiet over there. :)

vws_and_disney
08-15-2009, 04:11 PM
the wave pool is pretty rough, but most exit pools are at max 2 1/2'' to 3''. Have fun

wendy*darling
08-15-2009, 07:39 PM
While the slides do exit into shallow water, you do typically come out at a quick pace and (I at least, ;)) often end up 'bottom first' into the pool!

Just let your DW know she might be momentarily disoriented, but if she just puts her feet down and stands up- she'll be fine. :thumbsup: