PDA

View Full Version : New EXTREME fear of flying

dinahvixen
08-12-2009, 05:14 PM
I have never been a good flyer, I actually hate it. But, for our upcoming trip in September, I have developed such a deep fear of the flight we're supposed to take from Cincinnati to Orlando that it has consumed my thoughts. I know what the statistics are, I know it's safer than driving, I know that there have been zero crashes on this route. I know what to expect during a flight and I know what keeps a plane in the air. However, none of that helps. I am so upset over our upcoming flight that I can't even think about the fun of the trip itself. I am considering canceling our reservations, eating the cost of the flight for the family, and going to Dis at a later date. Anyone else this ridiculously scared of flying? If so, recommendations?

Strmchsr
08-12-2009, 05:30 PM
Talk to you doctor about something to help you calm down. Also, read the link in my weather forecast thread that deals with fear of flying.

E-OR
08-12-2009, 05:40 PM
I have a 19 year old son who has flown since he was little. AS he got older he bagan to not like flying and ended up with severe anxiety over it. He would dwell on flying and worry about the flight long before we even left. Two years ago we were on the plane ready to leave for WDW and he got off before it took off. It was horrible. When we got on the plane that trip I could tell that he was really having a difficult time. He told me that he thought he was going to loose it if he did not get off. He really wants to go to WDW but knows that because we live in Washington State the only way he is going to get there is to fly. We ended up getting him counseling, which did not work. His doctor suggested we talk to a psychiatrist. She talked with him a few times and prescribed meds to take before he gets on and after he gets on. We were able to go last September and will be leaving for WDW again this September. He says that as long as we have the meds he is fine and we are hoping as he flys more it will get even easier for him. Long story short talk to your doctor and let them know how difficult this is for you. Maybe with medication you will be able to do just fine.

E-OR
08-12-2009, 05:46 PM
I just wanted to add that knowing all the statistics regarding flying does not matter in some cases. My husband is a pilot and he could explain things to my son forever and it did not help. My uncle is a pilot as well and he has a son who hates to fly. See your doctor so you can go and enjoy your trip.

Ksmith75
08-12-2009, 08:00 PM
Try to get some meds. My sister takes valium before she flys and she does just fine. I too have a fear of flying...but I just try to relax and listen to my ipod - I take a few benedryl before and it makes me sleepy and I force myself not to dwell on it.....we live in Pittsburgh and that is about the longest flight I can take....sorry Hawaii! By the end of the trip I am ready to get off the plane...my nervousness turns giddy and i start to laugh -....but just try not to think about it too much......

dinahvixen
08-12-2009, 08:01 PM
Thanks for your understanding! I will check with the doctor, but I am afraid that while I may be fine on my (doomed?) flight, I still have 4 weeks of what is becoming a consuming anxiety before the trip!

DVC2004
08-12-2009, 08:43 PM
I hate to fly- I am very scared but I do so several times per year. It never gets easier for me. To this day I do not know how I talked myself into flying to Hawaii (but I am glad I did!) I do take meds- my Dr. prescribed Xanax. I don't know what to suggest for the weeks coming up prior. Do take something distracting with you on the plane- I like a book or magazine since I can read it during takeoff when electronics are prohibited.
You'll be fine. I think about the statistics too- but fear isn't rational therefor you are still apt to be scared even when you know statistics say otherwise. Good luck- and don't cancel your trip.

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
08-12-2009, 10:11 PM
I actually just picked up my xanax today for our flight in September. I used to travel a lot... But after having kids, flying has made me very nervous. The meds calm me down enough to relax, I take them when I get to the airport, and it usually kicks in by the time I have to walk onto the plane. My doctor is used to it, as I don't abuse the med. I just come to him and ask him to prescribe me 2 each time I have a flight. Please talk to your doctor.

dizne4me
08-13-2009, 07:18 AM
My 20 yr old son has a fear of flying so he's learned to get medication from his dr. before the flight and he does okay. I have a fear of driving(yeah, I know it's something that I have to do everyday). I'm okay on short trips but we travel to NC to visit family and it's a 9 hour drive. The worst part for me is right around Baltimore. I do get my dr. to prescribe something for me but I don't think it's strong enough so I still deal with the anxiety.

Rekenna
08-13-2009, 09:36 AM
Hi! I'm sorry you are having so much trouble! I am from Northern Kentucky, so I am a greater Cincinnatian-so I feel a special kindredness for you.

No one I know really has this problem, but the advice so far on the thread from people who have experienced your same problem is good advice. Don't let this ruin your trip. Maybe when speaking to your Dr. you can get some Paxil or something along that line for a short period of time, to take leading up to your trip.

You can do this! :thumbsup:

dinahvixen
08-13-2009, 04:52 PM
[QUOTE=DVC2004;1938648].
You'll be fine. I think about the statistics too- but fear isn't rational therefor you are still apt to be scared even when you know statistics say otherwise. QUOTE]

True! Good point. Today is actually an okay day on it, where I feel like a normal grown up woman with a fear of flying rather than being totally consumed. We'll see how long it lasts!

And thanks, Verona, I used to live in Walton - before it got crazy built up.

Deep breathing...
Deep breathing...
Deep breathing...

GrandFlo
08-13-2009, 05:23 PM
I would talk to the doctor and possibly try counseling or medication. I know someone who takes Xanax when they have to fly. The prescription bottle even reads "take as needed for flying". She says it takes the edge off and she is able to relax. As far as the anxiety and worry about the upcoming flight, conseling may help for that.

mousetrapper
08-13-2009, 06:20 PM
I actually love everything about flying, except the thought of crashing. :sick: It's definitely a phobia I have - one of my greatest fears is having to perish that way...

Sorry, don't want to make things worse! :blush: Anyway, I hear you when you say you will probably be fine once you get on the plane, it's the wait before then that may kill you. All of the suggestions here regarding relaxation etc. are good ones.

Try to force your mind to shift gears when you feel yourself getting obsessed. I had to do that before my last trip. Just had to find something to distract my mind. I also told myself that it's in God's hands and that whatever was going to happen, would happen with or without all my worry. I prayed a lot!

Anyway, I'm sending some pixie dust your way to help soothe your worried mind! :pixie:

SandmanGStefani24
08-13-2009, 07:47 PM
if it makes you feel better, I have studied airliners, the airline industry and how aircraft work as a hobby for the last 7 years. I know the facts, how they work, and how reliable they are. I also know what to look for, and what is normal, and not. I love watching planes fly, and love to learn more about them.

And yes, I am a nervous wreck flying. :confused:

I know darn well nothing will happen. I know each and every movement. Gear lowering, slats retracting, spoilers arming, ect, ect. Still, I constantly worry about turbulence, losing cabin pressure, mid air collisions...on and on. I pretty much figure I know too much to be care free. The best thing to remember for me, or anyone that matter, is that any issue can and has happened before. Leave the flying to the pros!

There are 3 things that help me.
1. Pacing yourself. The flight follows a regular pattern. Take-off/climb (15-20 min), cruise (varies), and descending/landing (15-20 min) Knowing that helps you stay relaxed. During the first part, think about what you would like to drink when drinks are handed out. Even if you don't really want one, take it, as it gives you something to do and passes time. Also think about what you might want to read when it's safe to do so. Then, when it's time to descend, you're usually throwing out your cups, putting away magazines and getting gate info from the captain. You're on the ground before you know it.

2. Ipods/DVD players. Music and movies are a great way to make time pass without knowing it.

3. Denial. You're not on a plane. You're in a noisy, cramped waiting room. You're waiting for the door to open to let you go to WDW. Keep an eye on the watch and wait till it's time. This one doesnt work for everyone, but it helps a few.

Hope this helps! Just know the destination is worth it 100%, and although nerve racking, is better than hours or days driving. You'll be ok!
:thumbsup:

BedknobsandBroomsticks
08-14-2009, 10:11 AM
but it is so preferable to a 3 day drive that I force myself to do it too. Each time the anxiety is worse. My children 12, 9 and 7 actually take turns holding my hand and comforting me, isn't that a hoot. They'll be good mommies and daddies someday. I just tell them mommies get scared to sometimes. I would definitely look into medication before the trip. You could even take a low dose now with the doctors approval to help deal with your pre-trip anxiety.
Side question. Are any of you also scary, fast thrill ride haters! because I can't stand them either. I have such intense fear of roller coasters that even standing near them is upsetting to me. Give me Winnie the Pooh and Small World anyday! I am working on trying Dinosaur this trip but I may not make it because I have a hard time riding something that I can't see beforehand. I did it once on The Mummy at Universal and I almost killed my husband afterward for lying about the intensity of the ride. :D

Buttercup
08-14-2009, 10:18 AM
If you cancel your flight and go to Disney at a later date, you're just putting it off. You're still going to feel anxiety when that future trip rolls around.
Why not drive?
We drive every year from Toronto Ontario -- that's about 6 hours away from where you are. It's really not a bad drive down the I-75. That intersate is made for people driving to Florida - lots of stops along the way, plenty of restaurants, etc.
If you left early in the morning, at say 5am, you could be rolling into Disney by midnight at the latest. Or, you could break it up into a 2-day drive and take your time. :thumbsup:

jsdt
08-14-2009, 10:26 AM
I used to have the exact same fear. It was so bad that at one point on a business trip to Philadelphia, I flew there, but on the way back to the airport I told the cab driver to take me to the rental cars and rented a car and drove home to Chicago. Worse yet I had to be back in Chicago for an 8:00 meeting so it was a straight through the night drive.

Anyway, I did two things that helped. First I went to a psychologist. He worked with me on my fear of flying and eventually hypnotized me as a way to get over it (he gave me a tape of the session that I could use before each flight). Secondly he prescribed valium as a way to relax me. Between the two I got over my flying fears and now while I don't enjoy flying I no longer have to listen to the hypotism tape or take the medication.

DisneyFr33k
08-14-2009, 10:31 AM
I agree with posts above, cancelling your trip will not address this fear in the future.

With a daughter who has generalized anxiety disorder along with OCD, I understand how thoughts can get "stuck". While not knowing you and how intense your fear is, I have two things to recommend:

My daughter's OCD is ritualistic thoughts - over and over. To "unstick" those, she would try replacing it with a pleasant thought/experience. Maybe when you are feeling overwhelmed, look up your plans for when you get there, or another fun planned activity.
Also, I found this great online site: http://www.fearofflyinghelp.com/ I don't know how good it is, but there is help out there to help you cope during the weeks leading up to the trip.

Good luck! Have a wonderful trip!! :plane:

laundrygal
08-14-2009, 12:29 PM
I became so terrified of flying in college that I avoided flying for many years -- and missed out on a lot of fun travel I am only now starting to make up.

I eventually went to my doctor and she gave me a small prescription for Ativan (Loraezapam (sp?) is the generic). I get 10 pills per Rx and only get a new prescription when they expire or run out. I take one as soon as I get through security at the airport and that is good for the whole flight -- even if we change plans or are flying internationally.

I had the same problem as you -- severe anxiety ahead of the actual travel. Once I started taking the Ativan, that anxiety disappeared -- because now I remember how I feel so calm when I fly. It was the memories of the anxiety on previous flights that really ratcheted up my anxiety once I started down the doom and gloom thought road.

The very first time I got the prescription, my doctor told me to take one at home so I would know how it was going to affect me, and we could adjust the dosage if needed. That really helped because leading up to that first flight when I would normally be very anxious and had no pleasant memories to work with, I just reminded myself of how I felt during the "Test dose" and how that was how the flight was going to be.

My boyfriend also loves it because I go from being jack-booted control freak authoritarian to calm, relaxed "Oh Whatever"-arian!

Good luck!

-Sarah

TheRustyScupper
08-14-2009, 03:34 PM
I know darn well nothing will happen.

1) As a airplane crash survivor, I can say that you are wrong.
2) I have only had one MINOR auto accident.
3) Therefore, for me, it is safer to drive than to fly.
4) But, I still fly, any how.

dinahvixen
08-14-2009, 10:44 PM
I can't thank all of you enough! First, I feel less ridiculous, second, some of the suggestions are very helpful. Replacing my "stuck" scared thoughts with a visualization of a peaceful, happy landing does help and I am going to my doctor about a relaxer. I will indeed try to test it before I take it. I really appreciate all the input and advice and good wishes. It's so nice of all of you to take the time to really offer your support and advice!