PDA

View Full Version : Resort Suggestions - Go!

cmillar
08-12-2009, 01:15 PM
What resort would y'all recommend for the following family:

- Girl, 5
- Boy, 3.3
- Husband loves the Contemporary.
- Wife loves the Grand Floridian, not a big fan of the Contemporary.
- Would prefer a deluxe resort.
- Would like a great pool.
- Due to ages of the kids, would like to be very close to one of the parks (proximity to Magic Kingdom is probably the priority).
- Would really, really like a separate sleeping area for kids and parents.

Show me your best bets!

buzz2001
08-12-2009, 01:32 PM
A suite at the Poly would be great. Close to the MK and monorail access to MK & Epcot.

WL suites - just a boat ride away from MK.

CSR also has suites that are a bit cheaper than the two above to include a moderate option. Quick rides to the parks via bus.

FW cabins have a separate room for the kids too.

AS suites for a value option.

cmillar
08-12-2009, 01:40 PM
I had never given much thought to the Wilderness Lodge. For some reason, it always seemed "off the beaten path" to me.

Anyway, how frequent is boat service to and from the Magic Kingdom?

Also, I didn't realize they had "Junior Suites". Can anyone describe the layout, size, and pricing?

Thanks!

tmosier
08-12-2009, 01:49 PM
I'm not positive, but when we were there after Thanksgiving 2007 one of the boats (there were 2 different routes) came about every 20 minutes.

cmillar
08-12-2009, 02:05 PM
How crowded do the boats gets? Are they crazy packed and in danger of being swamped? ;)

More importantly, what route(s) do they take back to Wilderness Lodge? And how long is the trip?

A Mouse Fan
08-12-2009, 02:34 PM
You can't go wrong with the WL! We have stayed their numerous times (see signature line) and LOVE it! We too prefer Deluxe resorts and think WL is the best! The boat departs for the MK very frequently and we have never had to wait more than 15 minutes to get on a boat. The boats are fairly large and hold a good number of people and what a relaxing journey to the MK and when you pull up to the MK it's just steps away to the gates to enter. The boat ride takes about 10 minutes and usually goes to the MK straight back to WL and vice versa. I think in less crowded times it make go to Fort Wilderness but that has only happened to us once or twice. We didn't mind though, the boat was so relaxing! I think you should try a WL suite...I don't think you will be disappointed. They have a great water slide at the pool your kids would love!

johnO
08-12-2009, 05:43 PM
The Polynesian

Great pool, great restaurants, close to Magic Kingdom, including monorail, On Bay Lake with the beach, Electric Water parade at night, wishes is visible from the resort

cmillar
08-12-2009, 05:53 PM
I hate to be a downer for all of you Poly fanatics, but my wife and I just don't get the appeal.

The theme always strikes me as a little tacky and the main building smells a bit funky to our noses. Sorry guys! :blush:

Does anyone know what floors the Junior Suites are on at Wildnerness Lodge?

SBETigg
08-12-2009, 05:58 PM
I think you might want to check out the Beach Club or Beach Club villas, too. Amazing pool, proximity to Epcot and DHS-- alas, not next to MK, but it hits all of your other requirements and might appeal to both the CR loving husband and the GF loving wife.

Night Tracker
08-12-2009, 06:10 PM
There are 25 WL Junior Suites, floors 1-6.
Room numbers are 1000, 1003, 1166, 1169, 2000, 2003, 2123, 2166, 2169, 3000, 3003, 3123, 3166, 3169, 4000, 4003, 4123, 4166, 4169, 5000, 5003, 5123, 5166, 5169 and 6123

JohnnyNovo
08-12-2009, 06:50 PM
Try Bay Lake Towers! Its new. Has a nice looking pool with water slides. Walking distance to MK. On the Monorail and right next to the contemporary.

DVC2004
08-12-2009, 06:54 PM
Poly- Deluxe resort, monorail, awesome pool with zero depth entry good for little ones, palm trees, great dining. Plus,who doesn't like Hawaii? It's our favorite aside from our DVC villas.

cmillar
08-12-2009, 09:35 PM
Are "Junior Suites" the same thing as "Vice Presidential Suites"?

SBETigg
08-12-2009, 09:55 PM
I don't think so. I think there's only one VP Suite at WL, and it's pretty deluxe and pricey (unless I'm wrong on this). The Junior Suites, from the WL page under resorts here at INTERCOT:

Suites: The 31 junior suites feature two queen-sized beds or one king-sized bed in the bedroom and a queen-sized sleeper sofa in the parlor area. This suite has all the features of the standard room plus a wet bar.

And I believe they are more expensive than a standard room, but still reasonably priced.

BrerGnat
08-13-2009, 01:49 PM
The Junior Suites at WL are now called DELUXE ROOMS.

They are 500 sq ft, and have a separate bedroom and parlor. There is a pull out sofa bed (queen size) in the parlor, as well as an additional t.v. with DVD player. There is a kitchenette with "wet bar", microwave, and coffeemaker. There are two chairs and a small table as well. The bathroom is a "hallway" vanity area (where the dual sinks and mirror are) and the commode/bathtub is in a separate room w/door. The bathroom area is accessible from either the bedroom or parlor. The bedroom is separated from the parlor by a set of french doors. The balcony is accessible from both the bedroom and parlor. This would be a great room for you guys. There is a boat that goes directly to Contemporary as well as to the MK, so you can access the monorail resorts for dining if you wish. The boat rides are not overly long, although the boats are "leisurely" (i.e. slow going). Bus transportation at WL is spotty, as buses are shared with Ft. Wilderness and Grand Floridian, so be prepared for long rides.

These rooms ALSO include Club Level service, and access to the concierge lounge for snacks and stuff, so the price sort of aligns with that. I think, in Value season, they are a great deal!

Another MUCH less pricey option than a suite would be a 1br Villa at Bay Lake Towers. Although you are not a huge fan of Contemporary, I'd urge you to give it another chance. BLT has a slightly different vibe, and I think the pool area at this resort is perfect for the kids of the ages you have. There are kiddie pools and splash areas here (no splash area at WL, although there is a kiddie pool). And, there will supposedly be a new playground opening here at the beginning of September. Plus, there is a nice beach with hammocks and the ability to WALK to MK is SUCH a bonus. It's such a short 5 minute walk that it cannot be beat with kids those ages. Really a great bonus.

I'd definitely keep it between Contemporary/BLT or Wildernesss Lodge Deluxe Room for sure. Amenity wise, and for the ages of your kids, they are about on par with each other in terms of what they offer. I will give a slight edge to Contemporary/BLT because I think the convenience factor of the walk to MK is worth more than the immersive theme factor of WL, although, arguably, if you will spend a LOT of time AT the resort, WL has more activities for the kids...

garymacd
08-13-2009, 03:00 PM
How crowded do the boats gets? Are they crazy packed and in danger of being swamped? ;)

More importantly, what route(s) do they take back to Wilderness Lodge? And how long is the trip?

They are not allowed to overload the boats. They can only take as many people as they have life jackets for. Every time we stayed there, overcrowding was never an issue. That plus there is another boat in about 20 minutes.

We love WL. It does feel out of the way, but it really isn't. It is very close to MK, it just doesn't have a Monorail connection

If I remember correctly, there is one boat that makes the round from Contemporary to WL to MK. Another goes from FW to WL to MK. Sometimes they reverse the order. The ride isn't that long.

Now, having touted the praises of WL, I would like to give you another thought. How about POFQ? It is a moderate that seems to be a favourite of a lot of Intercotee's.

It is small and easy to get around. There is no Monorail connection, but the bus service is pretty good and it is fairly centrally located. There is a nice boat ride to DtD. The theming is great. They also have something that not many other resorts have: Beignets. The beds are only doubles. That, as far as I am concerned is the only negative about the resort.

cmillar
08-14-2009, 09:24 AM
Ha! You guys are great.

First, I'm the husband, which means I'm the one who loves the Contemporary. :)

Anyway, a one bedroom at Bay Lake Tower was my initial inclination, but I'd really like a resort with more over the top theming for my children's first visit. When they're a little older and can more readily be awed by the monorail cruising through the A-frame, we'll probably do the Contemporary/BLT.

POFQ is absolutely one of my favorite WDW resorts. In fact, it's where my wife and I stayed the last time we went to the World, before we started our family. As much as I love it, though, we'd definitely prefer deluxe resorts.

The Deluxe Room/Junior Suite at Wildnerness Lodge is absolutely perfect for us. We're definitely going to go this route. Thanks again, all!

ransam
08-14-2009, 11:57 AM
Polynesian village.

BrerGnat
08-14-2009, 01:42 PM
The Deluxe Room/Junior Suite at Wildnerness Lodge is absolutely perfect for us. We're definitely going to go this route. Thanks again, all!

Great choice! :thumbsup:

This is our quandry for our family's first trip too. Our boys will be 4 and 5. It's between BLT (1 bedroom villa) and Deluxe Room at WL. They cost the same, but have different draws for us.

It's a tough choice! The full kitchen/washer dryer in the villas is REALLY pulling me towards BLT, but then I so LOVE the WL...it's where DH and I spent our honeymoon. :cloud9:

brownie
08-14-2009, 04:26 PM
How about the Beach Club or Yacht Club? It would be close to Epcot, but not the Magic Kingdom. You'd have access to the pool area which is really a mini-water park.

gaffz70
08-14-2009, 09:24 PM
Great choice...
We went when our kids were the same age as yours and we could kick ourselves for not getting a picture of them waling into the hotel...their mouths were on the floor, we'll never forget it :mickey:

VWL Mom
08-15-2009, 09:03 AM
Great choice! :thumbsup:

This is our quandry for our family's first trip too. Our boys will be 4 and 5. It's between BLT (1 bedroom villa) and Deluxe Room at WL. They cost the same, but have different draws for us.

It's a tough choice! The full kitchen/washer dryer in the villas is REALLY pulling me towards BLT, but then I so LOVE the WL...it's where DH and I spent our honeymoon. :cloud9:

You could also go with option 3 being a 1 bedroom at the WL Villas.

cmillar
08-17-2009, 09:59 AM
How about the Beach Club or Yacht Club? It would be close to Epcot, but not the Magic Kingdom. You'd have access to the pool area which is really a mini-water park.

At this age I'm thinking proximity to the Magic Kingdom is more important. I'm definitely thinking of the Beach Club/Yacht Club as a top possibility for when we make a return visit in a few years and the kids are a little older.

At that point I think they'll appreciate Epcot a bit more and will be better able to take advantage of the variety of options with the superb pool they have there. My son is still a little clumsy. :)

kemps@wdw
08-17-2009, 09:45 PM
Wilderness Lodge :thumbsup:

BrerGnat
08-17-2009, 10:21 PM
You could also go with option 3 being a 1 bedroom at the WL Villas.

Unfortunately, I have a HUGE aversion to the decor in those Villas at WL...it's bad enough that I can't imagine spending a week in there. Room decor is a biggie for me. I like the rooms at the resort itself, but those rooms in the villas...UGH! Too "country" for me...the pictures really make me think "cabin in the woods" and that is, honestly, my idea of torture. :D