PDA

View Full Version : Is This the Reality?

AuntKari
08-11-2009, 11:07 PM
Aunt Kari’s at Disney—Is this the Reality? Day 6

Nice to hear back from all of you on my reports. Nicster, I personally think people pick a place to stay based on 3 things. One, the quality they are looking for (a Motel 6 or Four Seasons). This includes everything that that person requires to meet their expectations: levels of service, cleanliness, food, budget, locationa nd trnsport, etc. Two, a place that attracts them, makes them comfortable, and provides the things they like (a sleek, contemporary/modern W style hotel or a woodsy/traditional/nature filled resort???) that reminds them of all the things they like (sort of like home). And lastly, a place that totally does not remind them of home. In other words, I would not be happy at the Contemporary if the Wilderness Lodge was down the road. I like trees, woods, logs, lakes, and rustic elegance. However at home I look at a lake and mountains out my windows and at WL I look at a lake and woods and pool and geyser etc. So it is “my style” (like home) and “luxury” that I want on a holiday but also surrounding myself with a different aspect. W hotels are hugely successful. Modern and clean lines are the “in” thing-they just aren’t me. I will say that at the end of the day I have very, very big service level expectations!!!! After reading some reports I was very worried if I would be happy at WL. I love very refined service but you do not expect to find “refined” service at Disney. This isn’t Paris or Venice. I personally was very well cared for at WL! Hope this helps.

Now, okay, okay…..who has been waiting for my “Welcome to Reality” trip report? No wonder I don’t have kids! HA!

Hi Everybody-Here goes Day 6 (and the 1st full day with the Perkins Family) of Aunt Kari’s Trip-no more quiet days as the gang is all here!

What did Aunt Kari do today: The kids awoke to Aunt Kari all excited talking about the fact that Tinkerbelle had visited over night and spread her pixie dust and left something for each of them just outside the door of their bedrooms. Awesome!-is this bribery or what??? I know how to get them out of bed! They do not have park tickets today so this was the day to familiarize ourselves with all things Disney and set the mood. Stroller was delivered by 8:00 AM. Mama and Aunt Kari went to Wal Mart at 9:00 AM to get goodies. Daddy stayed home and the kids swam (we have our own pool and a clubhouse pool) and took care of the one lost piece of luggage. We had lunch at home and then headed for our 1st adventure. We took pictures at the Poly and walked the grounds. Baby Carly got a hair wrap out by the pool/beach. We rode the monorail to GF. Got the kids the Tinkerbelle and Cars Light up Raspberry Lemonades and walked the grounds/beach. Took the monorail to MK and got off to upgrade their tickets since we have 2 extra days because of flying. Took monorail back to Poly and headed to Downtown Disney. I’ll call this the wake up call to reality (although you will find out later it was a false alarm). I wanted them to see all of Pleasure Island and Marketplace (we are doing West Side later) but… Hello STROLLER!!! Can’t get through crowds, can’t get through stores, and “I want in, I want out.” We didn’t get too far and the teens and I wondered, “should we ditch them and run?” I told them we could go back to a suite at the Wilderness Lodge….Okay, that’s not nice, that’s like me wanting to lock them in the garage yesterday…We didn’t get all the way to Goofy’s Candy Co. but we did get as far as Once Upon a Toy. I then surprised them with dinner at T-Rex. Cole was beside himself (remember I said we would ride Dinosaur at Animal Kingdom more than once!). Waitress was great, service great (food coming out maybe just a bit slow), and food good. This was a success for Cole and the whole place drove Aunt Kari nuts. Off to bed as tomorrow is Magic Kingdom!

Hotel: Rental Home off property. Very pleased.

Drink: Got the kids the Tinkerbelle and Cars Raspberry lemonades that you “just have to do”. Service not very good and took FOREVER!!!

Food: T-Rex. Overall pleased

Shopping: Baby Carly got a hair wrap at Poly and family got misc. at Downtown Disney

Aunt Kari’s Magical Moments: Waking the kids up. You should see the morning pictures of each of them in their beds asleep. It is those beautiful moments (THOSE QUIET, NON MOVING, NON NOISE MAKING moments-HA!) looking at those little blessings from God that you treasure!!!

Spreading the Magic: Starts tomorrow

Evaluations: Gotta do T-Rex once (it was good!-wonderful for Cole!) but I would not do it again. My father and husband never would have made it through this! I now have 12 days with a stroller and have decided I dislike strollers.

What did Disney get wrong today: Service at the café at Grand Floridian. For $45.00 for lemonade, they could have been nicer and definitely faster.

What did Aunt Kari get wrong today: Hmmm…will all the planning go amok? We will have to see. I now officially dislike strollers more than cheap ponchos, balloons, and the Epcot parking lot combined.

Tomorrow the REAL adventure begins.

nicster
08-12-2009, 01:14 AM
AuntKari--Thanks for the info on choosing a resort. I had a feeling that the 'storm' was going to be more than you bargained for... that's why kids or soooo cute, so we will put up with strollers & the like:mickey: If I were you, when it gets a bit much to bare, get the older children together for a time-out, just you & them... sis will understand;)

yjgirl32
08-12-2009, 08:53 AM
Your reports are som much fun to read. They are helping to hold me over till our trip in 3 weeks. Thanks for sharing.

DizNee143
08-12-2009, 10:53 AM
sounds like a nice day..
i hope you and the stroller become friends!!! lol..:mickey:

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-12-2009, 11:15 AM
Now the real "fun" begins ... I agree, I'm so glad my DD is past the stroller stage, it was never fun trying to get it through crowds.

I missed your reports while I was enjoy the magic at Magic Meets...time to read them all and get caught up, they are great!

SBETigg
08-12-2009, 11:41 AM
Great report! And strollers, yeah! So glad when my kids were done with them. What a nuisance.

Mindi Sanders
08-12-2009, 12:38 PM
Maybe you would gain a new appreciation for the stroller if you got in it and let Stacy push you around all day!! Keep having fun and keep your poor little sis :( who is not there with you up to date on things!

BluewaterBrad
08-12-2009, 01:53 PM
Oh Kari you teased me!! I got rained out at work and ran to the laptop to check on you! I am heading to your Nothing report!

faline
09-01-2009, 11:57 AM
While the food is usually good, I do find service at the Grand Floridian Cafe to be quite laid back - which could also mean slow, I guess!

pdrlkr
09-06-2009, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey: