PDA

View Full Version : Hair Color Question/Highlights

DVC2004
08-11-2009, 09:02 AM
So my hair is naturally very dark blonde/light brown, warm toned. I have been getting highlights but I am disappointed with the way they turn out- too "yellow". I want them very light blonde. I keep telling the stylist, but they always turn out the same. Advice? I am going to try a new colorist this week. I would like them to look more "white" or "champagne". I don't have any gray yet (knock on wood!) so that would not be a factor. Anyone an expert on what to ask for? Are highlights the wrong thing?

SBETigg
08-11-2009, 09:45 AM
Get a new colorist and trust her advice. I think the trick with highlights is they should only be slightly lighter than your own color, thus highlighting it. If they're standing out as too "yellow" then your colorist is probably not giving you quite what you want to achieve. Going too light would also be a mistake with highlights. In that case, what you really want is a new color all over.

SurferStitch
08-11-2009, 01:59 PM
I always get a combo highlight/lowlight, and my highlights are usually a nice medium blond next to my medium brown hair. My girl is awesome at finding exactly the right colors for my hair.

If they are too yellow, she probably just wasn't using the correct tone for your hair type. You would think she would have tried something different based on what you wanted to achieve, but some colorists just aren't that good to be totally honest. Not all hair takes color the same way. Even if you have 5 people with the same hair color, depending on coarseness, condition, etc., the color will not look the same on everyone.

Try the new colorist and trust their judgment. If possible, get someone who comes highly recommended.

I wish I could give you more technical advice, but my girl is always spot on. I've never had a problem!

Tinkerbella
08-11-2009, 06:41 PM
Definitely get a new colorist. Usually I get an ashed based dye. It has that white, champange feeling to it. Also, I find Yelp.com very helpful when I'm seeking out services from new people. Good luck!

crazypoohbear
08-12-2009, 09:38 PM
the colorist might not want to use the white as it will make you look unnatural or make your hair look white, thus making you look old which I am sure is not the look you are going for!
be very careful how you want your hair.
Mine is naturally blond/dark blond and when I get highlights she puts in blond and gold highlights, it looks exactly like my hair use to look back in the day, most people don't know that I highlight

DVC2004
08-13-2009, 08:10 AM
Thanks all. I will try to find a pic of what I am looking for online to print out and bring. That should help. I agree- "white" as in old is not what I want! I am thinking just more white or cool in tone as opposed to yellow. Some more pieces put in that are very light. I don't even know at this point if there is a way to "correct" the current color. :(

nyobabe2
08-20-2009, 08:42 AM
I'm a hairstylist and it just sounds like she's not leaving it on long enough. We are supposed to take it off at a certain color which almost resembles the color of american cheese so she just may be afraid to go a bit longer. Try her out one more time and tell her to leave it on for you just a few minutes longer.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
08-21-2009, 09:50 PM
I had the opposite problem, mine was getting to look that trashy white-ish color. I asked my hairdresser to go more warm honey color. She does a 2 type procedure on me. She uses a permanent color in the front then a highlighter on the back section. I think in my case she was leaving it in too long originally.

mixelate
08-22-2009, 02:21 PM
i'm not a hairstylist, but i have dye my hair way too many times! I have been completely blonde, and have done just highlights. Are you needing bleach to get the colour you want? If so, does the stylist use toner? I always need it.