PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on weather for late Sept/early Oct with infant

LisaP
08-11-2009, 01:36 AM
I have the opportunity to go to WDW the last week in Sept through first few days in Oct, and wondering just how HOT it may get. I have a 3 month old, and I'm just really undecided if this is a good idea or not.

I did look at the daily historical temps for the past 2 years and checked this year's farmer's almanac, and all of the data still left my decision up in the air.

My DS4 would be paling around with his cousin the same age (her first visit and celebrating a milestone of her own), but I don't want to be selfish (I reeeeeally want to go!) and have my baby be uncomfortable in excessive heat. He's not fully vaccinated yet so I am not even sure if I am comfortable taking him in the pool. Then there's the issue of not using sunscreen on infants younger than 6 months ... ?

We went the first few days of June last year and the weather was horrendous!

Any opinions? Tips? Suggestions? Help me decide! :confused:

If I did go ... I'd be celebrating a milestone birthday of my own while there :marg:

Strmchsr
08-11-2009, 08:34 AM
If you didn't like June you wouldn't like September. It can cool off slightly by the end of September, but it can also be quite hot. It's certainly possible to bring an infant, but it can also be a challenge. You have to make VERY sure your baby stays hydrated and cool as a baby can overheat quite easily. Best way would be to go early in the morning, stay inside during the heat of the afternoon, then go back in the evening. But, I think a different, cooler, time might be better.

Disney Doll
08-11-2009, 11:36 AM
I would wait. We went in late October last year and it was pretty darned hot in the afternoons. We're going the last week of Sept this year because that's the week that worked best for the rest of the family, but I'm worried about the heat. I'm expecting hot and planning to be inside for afternoon naps. We'll make the best of it, but it's not my first choice of times to go and I don't think I'd attempt it with such a young baby. The sunscreen factor alone would be a deal breaker for me.

However, if the rest of the family is set on going you could always go, but plan to spend most of your time at the resort taking baby out only in the early mornings and late evenings once things cool down. You wouldn't get the most out of your trip, but you'd still be there and be able to participate with the family at least some.

DizNee143
08-11-2009, 01:00 PM
i went the end of sept in 2006 and it was nice..i enjoyed myself..and i HATE hot hot weather..and i was comfortable..i did get a bit hot during some days..in the afternoon..but nothing a dip in the pool or some time in AC didnt help..
i say go for it..whats the worse that happens..you only go out in the early mornings and at night when the sun goes down? youll still be able to have fun..
im going the end of sept also..im a bit worried about the weather also since ill be 7 1/2 months pregnant..but it wont stop me from going..lol..
but goodluck in whatever you decide! :mickey:

Tick-Tock
08-11-2009, 01:51 PM
He's not fully vaccinated yet

Both of our early October trips were quite hot and humid (like steam rising off the streets humid). But for me, the info quoted above would be the deal-breaker. I was diagnosed with whooping cough after returning from a trip to WDW several years ago, and that made me really aware of the potential for exposure to various illnesses there (and on the planes), especially for young infants.

LisaP
08-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Thanks everyone for being my voices of reason! I already knew of all the reasons it was not a good decision for me to go. Weather was probably least of my concerns, but I guess it just got me wondering how people do pull it off with taking infants.

We have decided to wait until next December until DS is about 19 months old, and his big brother will be 5 1/2. All of my current concerns won't apply ... sunscreen use, excessive heat, vaccinations needed ... not to mention traveling with my sister and leaving Daddy home :(

I've been dreaming of being there for Christmastime anyway :cloud9:

So I guess I will have to celebrate my 40th bday at home :sadwave:

...and let my niece celebrate her gift of hearing (her new cochlear implants) with her mommy and favorite princesses :princess:

I am having a blast planning their itinerary :mickey:

szyper
08-12-2009, 10:33 AM
I would have totally stayed home because of the baby with our first. But now we have "Third Baby Syndrome" and are willing to tote her just about anywhere. I am not a fan of hot weather AT ALL, but we went in January and it was still hot and muggy. So, I figure we might as well try October when we are more used to the summer heat.

Our 2nd was 14 months when we took the kids the first time and it was a rough go (but doable). I decided I wanted to go when our 3rd was still small enough to be carried around in a Baby Bjorn or still happy to sit in a stroller.

I was worried about taking the baby (she'll be 6 months) with all of the swine flu stuff, so I asked our pediatrician. He said to be careful driving to the airport, because that is going to be our greatest danger during the trip - lol!

I definitely wouldn't go without your DH, though! That would be enough to keep me home.

momof3+twins
08-14-2009, 05:25 PM
October was awesome last year. Beautiful weather. Only one cool day. One rainy day (on and off). It wasn't hot at all! Enjoy!!

E-OR
08-15-2009, 12:18 PM
This will be our third trip to WDW in September. We will be there the same time as you had planned to be there. After spending one vacation in WDW in June/July we will never go that time of year again. It was unbearable but September has been wonderful the past two years and we are hoping for the same this year. My kids are older but I would do what your gut instinct tells you, it's usually right and you are the mom! Besides we have been once in December and loved it. The Christmas decorations are so beautiful.

Darbylew
08-15-2009, 12:49 PM
Weather can change so quickly in Florida. It is
hot and humid right now but I maybe by the
time you go things will change a little. I have
never been in September but I have been in
October and the weather is very nice. This time
we are going in November so we can attend the
Christmas party. Check the dates when you are
there to see if there is a Halloween Party going
on. This is a great party and worth the extra
ticket. Have a fun time. :mickey:

disneymom2000
08-16-2009, 11:34 AM
It's going to be really hard to get a concensus on this one. I live in Texas and mostly go late September or early October. I love the weather at that time because it is comfortable. September in Texas is around mid 90's so when I go to Florida and say the weather is mid 80's I am in heaven. Now your from NJ. Is 80 degree weather hot to you then I would think about a little later stay. I went in December once and the temp dropped down to the 50's one day and we had to layer our sweats to be comfortable. It just depends on what kind of weather you want to deal with and what is comfortable for you.