PDA

View Full Version : DHS counter service

green ranger
08-08-2009, 05:32 PM
What place do you recommend for counter service in DHS? We have always had TS in DHS and will be having CS there for the first time. Just wondering where we should go. Thanks!

sassafras
08-08-2009, 06:25 PM
We usually go to the Commissary. The food isn't bad and it's usually pretty cool in there. While it looks like the lines at the counter are fairly long, they move pretty quickly. Usually DH orders, while I go stake out a table.

magicofdisney
08-08-2009, 07:06 PM
My favorite CS at HS is Backlot Express. I like the grilled turkey sandwich. The meal is probably big enough for two. The salad (which I used to enjoy and recommend) was fairly bland last time I gave it a try. They've changed it in the last year or so. Additionally, they have a self serve beverage bar (free refills!).

Woozle
08-08-2009, 07:23 PM
We ate at the Commissary 3 years ago and weren't impressed. BUT it was cooler there. We ate at the Backlot in June and I think the food was better there.

DisneyAggies
08-08-2009, 08:19 PM
We've pretty much boycotted the Commissary. :ack:

We LOVE Backlot Express! They have an awesome veggie sandwich there that I enjoyed tremendously last time (and I don't even LIKE veggies!!).

brownie
08-08-2009, 08:44 PM
We really enjoy the Backlot Express.

hubbyofadisneyholic
08-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Another vote for Backlot Express.
And if you eat a late lunch like we usually do, it is a great place to catch the parade.:thumbsup:

Dsnygirl
08-08-2009, 08:57 PM
:mickey: Seems like Backlot is winning by a margin, and I can totally see why -- we LOVE it there!! We've all enjoyed our meals, and found some of the items to be unique to the spot. And if you're lucky & seated well, you can catch Darth Vader next door during a Jedi Training Academy session! :thumbsup:

kakn7294
08-08-2009, 10:56 PM
We like the Backlot but we ate at the Commissary less than 3 weeks ago and thought the food was good. They've almost completely revamped their menu since we were there in March.

Mousemates
08-08-2009, 11:44 PM
none of the counter service stops in DHS are all that exciting to us...so we usually save eating a vacation pizza for that day and head over to Toy Story Pizza Planet...not the best pizza in the world by any stretch of the imagination...but its always been ok (unlike a bad experience we had at the commisary).....if not Pizza planet then we do the backlot as well.

MistressGracey
08-09-2009, 01:24 PM
We enjoyed dining at Toy Story Pizza Planet as well. The veggie pizzas and salad were tasty, and DH and I got to sit and rest a little longer after our lunch as our DSs explored the claw machines, etc. :D

Rekenna
08-09-2009, 03:50 PM
We like Backlot Express-the food is good and I like that you can eat inside or out and there are alot of places shaded outside-watch out for the squirells!

We are doing the CS Dining Plan this time (which I am pretty excited about) and my little dude DS3 and my big dude DS10 want to go to Pizza Planet (they are big Toy Story fans) so we'll check this out.

Have fun!:mickey:

LandFan
08-09-2009, 08:43 PM
Not that fond of CS in DHS... but if I have to, Backlot is the best of the bunch.

Not very fond of ANY food in DHS for that matter... Sci-Fi is OK for lunch, Mama's is pretty good too but nothing is outstanding, IMHO.:(

PAYROLL PRINCESS
08-09-2009, 09:14 PM
I have to agree; DHS is one of my least favorite places to eat any meal. I don't remember what the name of the place is, but it's over by Star Tours/Indy. It's your basic burger style food but it was decent.

LandFan
08-10-2009, 09:24 AM
I have to agree; DHS is one of my least favorite places to eat any meal. I don't remember what the name of the place is, but it's over by Star Tours/Indy. It's your basic burger style food but it was decent.

Yeah - that's Backlot Express...

jonahbear2006
08-10-2009, 09:45 AM
another vote for backlot express, HOWEVER, all of the food at DHS is NOT anything I want to waste a counter service on. We usually take a break from the park, and take the boat to the boardwalk for a bit and eat at the boardwalk bakery. The food is excellent, the sandwiches are huge, and the desserts you get are to die for. This also gives you a chance to see the boardwalk and the beach/yacht club for a few minutes and escape the park for a little while. The boat ride is not more than 10-12 min long and the break is nice, we think. We see our counter services as a chance to eat the best food we can so we have scoured the menus online, in the past, to find what we would really want more than anything else, and have found that resorts have the best food.

ILoveLegos
08-10-2009, 10:01 AM
We go for the air-conditioned commissary, but just for a snack. For us, DHS is always followed by a trip to an off-site Cracker Barrel before our long ride home.

Air-conditioned southern food, now why can't Disney do that, right?!?! Heheheh! :mickey:

Okay, sometimes they do @ POR, I know, I Know...:blush:

But Sadly not for breakfast anymore :confused:

Dragongirlx
08-10-2009, 11:02 AM
I would go with backlot express as well. Its great to sit outside and hear the sounds from indiana Jones

DisneyFr33k
08-10-2009, 12:20 PM
We usually take a break from the park, and take the boat to the boardwalk for a bit and eat at the boardwalk bakery. The food is excellent, the sandwiches are huge, and the desserts you get are to die for. This also gives you a chance to see the boardwalk and the beach/yacht club for a few minutes and escape the park for a little while. The boat ride is not more than 10-12 min long and the break is nice, we think. We see our counter services as a chance to eat the best food we can so we have scoured the menus online, in the past, to find what we would really want more than anything else, and have found that resorts have the best food.

:thanks: We've always struggled with what to do in DHS for a counter, and we're going to use your suggestion! Great idea! Thanks again!

lightyearfan
08-10-2009, 01:06 PM
another vote for Toy Story Pizza Planet, like in a previous post, not the best but not the worst either, if we had to pick between TSPP or the Comm, it would be TSPP. hope this helps enjoy your trip

Victor

JPL
08-10-2009, 01:12 PM
Another vote for Backlot Express I just wish they would bring the Fixin' Bars back :(

Disney Doll
08-10-2009, 03:54 PM
We tried Backlot Express last trip and it was just okay. DHS is the worst park for food. We had a decent taco salad at one of those places on Sunset Blvd. We like Starring Rolls too.