PDA

View Full Version : GAC blues

Ty4celebrating2dayImKevin
08-08-2009, 01:18 PM
I have Multiple Sclerosis and am scared of going to the parks and exacerbate my symptoms. And the joke's on me cause it's the lack of balance, quick bursts of vertigo and tingly legs and feet that get the beat down pretty much mainly to the sun....it's kinda unfair (lol) that the sun/extreme heat are so common in Orlando...hehe.

But it's the little things that **** the most. Temporary blindness, eye pain, electrical shocks on the right side of my head and horrible, horrible fatique. I have been taking shots for the last 4 years and have all the other ABC prescriptions.

I worry that I may have a "bad experience" on the spot all of the sudden and God forbid it creates an inconvenience onto other guests/CMs.

So that's my spiel there!

So anyways, back to reality: My neurologist penned a letter for me to present. I'm sure Doc's get requests to write notes constantly, so there may be a little fluff but in one line he hit it right on the head:

"...and is highly sensitive to heat with potential deterioration."

So, I am very nervous to go to Guest Relations with this. I fear that they will do a run around me and suggest renting a wheelchair.....but I don't need that....on the flipside, if they permit me to use more accessible queues that would be helpful but, honestly it's not about "not having to wait".

Lotta Rambling. But I need to go with family on Monday(dak 1st...oh my God, the heat!) So any suggestions or warm wishes will make me warm and fuzzy.

Kevin

<no profile> 28 m work in customer service and grew up Disney. I wish I had something witty to say......:mickey:

Toodle
08-08-2009, 05:53 PM
Get the GAC - I have to say though if you are coming at this time of year you are going to experience high heat and humidity throughout the day. If you are extremely heat sensitive you might want to consider leaving the parks by 11:00 AM and not returning until after 5:00 PM. Also, drink lots of water - just getting from ride to ride will be wearing so I suggest you get a wheelchair and get the GAC. Good luck and have a fun time - if you can, next time, come during the winter - the sun is much less strong!

peemagg
08-08-2009, 06:29 PM
A suggestion that might help with the heat is a cooling vest or cooling neck collar.

I don't know where you can get a vest very fast, but the neck collars (for lack of better term) at Walmart back in the sporting goods section. If you have time you can look online for the cooling vests. I think they even have cooling hats that you can get.

If you don't normally wear hats, now would be a good time. One with a wide brim all around. You can then place a cool wash cloth in the top to help keep you cool.

08-08-2009, 10:01 PM
thanks you (both) for the replies. appreciate it.

toodle-you know what the most ironic part of it is? I live in florida and yikes the summer is evil; though i agree about winter. imo october is the cat's meow.

peemag-im kinda one of those "wait to the last minute" types so wouldn't you expect to find the paper work for the vest in the back seat of my car; its been there for a few weeks...i think it just got comfortable.

anyways, thanks.

:number1:

08-08-2009, 10:59 PM
i didnt know u can purchase them from stores. interesting. the one that im "applying" for looks like a fisherman getup that has steel plates and a fan built in.....sounds like a nice way to die.

the national ms people will let me lease it for free so that's cool.

peemagg
08-09-2009, 10:30 AM
That's great that you can lease it that way!

IF you can't get that before your trip go to Walmart and get those cooling collars. They are inexpensive and should help. They are pieces of fabric that has a gelatin substance in it that when immersed in water expands and then you just pat the outside fabric dry and tie it around your neck like you would a bandanna. We keep ours on ice when not using them to keep them colder.

08-09-2009, 05:49 PM
Well, I did it. Proud enough to say that. Granted, I am ruined for the rest of the day.

GstRelations read my note, spoke little english but was very kind and gave me the card w/ 2 stamps on it: 2 arrows branching off(alt entrance) and a little hut (temp shade).

I used the fp entrance for everything and it definitely helped. Of course, little to no waits for the best attractions was really cool but I can't help but see it as a really wonderful gesture on Disney's part because without it I would have crashed 30 minutes in.

I can't stop tearing up over this.

ElenitaB
08-09-2009, 10:01 PM
Kevin, glad that your trip, with a little help from the GAC, was a success! :thumbsup: