PDA

View Full Version : Can you say Concierge?

AuntKari
08-08-2009, 05:53 AM
Aunt Kari’s at Disney-Can you say Concierge? Day 3

Nice to hear back from all of you on my second day at Disney. VWL Mom-thanks for the great ideas for boys shopping. I have all different kids that call me Aunt Kari so sure, I’ll adopt yours! (sorry, I don’t take parents-they are too much trouble-HA!) Glad to hear I am not the only one that struggles getting around DHS. I went again (Day 4-I am 1 day behind on the Intercot writing) and it was better but not great. Vintage Disney-thanks for the walking tip. I think a great one would be Poly to Bay Lake Towers and back (but would need to be cooler months). I look forward to doing that one someday. Nicster-so far I have not changed any plans (I had purchased EVERY Disney book, had 1 year to plan, and got HEAPS of info from you guys so it was planned), except on the resort hopping afternoon-more on that on tomorrow’s report.

Hi Everybody-Here goes Day 3 of Aunt Kari’s Trip-still quiet one more day before all the gang arrives!

Can you say CONCIERGE/VALET? It is worth every penny here!!! Saves time and walking in heat. A one time daily fee and you can valet at all the resorts. Be sure to bring an envelope with $1.00 bills for tipping. It all adds to the Magical experience-worth saving for.

Notes:
1. Must be the 3rd day the bottom of your feet are a bit sore. Nothing else is tired/sore and no blisters. Just the bottom of the feet from pounding the pavement. I have walked a LOT and this will get better quick but wish I had the time to put my feet up…too much Disney adrenaline to sit-HA!
2. Shopping specials right now are spend $20.00 and get a Disney watch for $13.00, spend $30.00 and get a Disney tote for $10.00, spend $50.00 and get a Disney Duffel Bag with wheels (luggage) for $19.00. I have 1,276 watches, 1,890 totes, and 745 duffel bags…JUST KIDDING…
3. This Ford Focus is a great car-I am very pleased with it.
4. For those of you that wondered if Disney was good going alone-I think it is terrific!!! I have not even needed to talk with others. I love traveling alone and this whole Orlando area feels safe and is full of so much to do. I even think you get attention from Cast Members when you are alone. I can get through a park crowd in seconds…don’t think I will like that stroller I ordered!!!! You never have to go far to have someone who can help. If you are considering it-GO!

What did Aunt Kari do today: Got up at 4:00 AM and did some more planning/paperwork. Drove to the Wal-Mart and got wrapping paper, tape, last minute gifts, etc. to prepare for the fun to begin. Had to make a trip to Walgreens for something Wal-Mart did not have. Came back and got everything into hotel. Took the boat and was at rope drop for Magic Kingdom at 8:00 AM. Left MK mid day and came back to really focus on the over all plan and wrap 4,837 gifts (okay, it wasn’t that many, but when you don’t have kids and all their friends b-day parties and you are not used to wrapping and you are not good at wrapping it seems like 4,827 gifts). This was a productive few hours of setting up/planning. I am almost ready for the family. Went in the afternoon to Epcot for the 1st time. Soarin passes sold out, Living with the Land having repairs. Rode a few of the rides in Future World and got the lay of the land. Shopped at the Mickey Store and took the stuff back to my car and then crossed back to World Showcase. This place was a MESS!!! SO CROWDED!!! Did not enjoy it as much as I expected-mostly due to crowds-but also because I did not want to do that kind of shopping. My shopping has been Disney themed for the kids (you know, autograph books, pressed penny books, Disney soft/stuffed toys, panchos, disposable cameras, etc.) and I was not keen to shop for all of these items. It was later and the entertainment was over and did I mention the crowds??? UGH! All collecting for Illuminations. I walked quickly around making note of the lay of the land and left in my car minutes before Illuminations started. Was back in my suite to see that great EWP, enjoy some concierge offerings, and plan the next day.

Hotel: Wilderness Lodge. I have stayed in a lot of hotels and I am in the hotel industry. I have been blessed to stay in very elegant hotels with phenomenal service. Whereas WL is not as refined etc. in those categories, this is my favorite room I have ever stayed in. The décor, floorplan, view, and wrap around balcony suit my taste and style. I am so glad I saved for this!! Being alone is just another reason for a special hotel room as it is nice to relax and enjoy a view/space in your room as you reflect on your days.

Drink: Nothing to comment on

Food: Nothing to comment on.

Shopping: Dearest Husband-everything is fine… NOT. LOVED shopping in the Mickey store at Epcot-most similar to World of Disney.

Aunt Kari’s Magical Moments: Rope drop at MK is touching/special/MAGICAL! Bet my sister cries…she has worked SOOO hard this past year for this trip-wish you all knew her-just how special she is!!! Can’t remember who on Intercot commented to me that I didn’t need to do anything to make this trip special as Disney took care of that, but boy does Mickey’s PhilHarMagic do that!!!! FABULOUS! I loved it! Love Small World and Tiki Room. I know the kids will love it and everything is wonderful here but in a way, what’s so great about Peter Pan and Winnie the Pooh??? Anyway, spent most the time figuring out Fantasyland order of things and being at rope drop to Toontown. It was EMH so there were no waits for anything. Crowds very low here this morning. Got heaps done with no waits.

Spreading the Magic: Starts on Saturday. Believe it or not, I am having more trouble than I thought seeing opportunities other than just being kind and considerate (like helping others, letting people go ahead of you, etc.).

Evaluations: Mickey’s PhilHarMagic is FABULOUS! EMH’s is a real plus to staying on property!!! Did I mention the Concierge and valet????

What did Disney get wrong today: I understand, but I think speed limits at Disney are a little low in some areas.

What did Aunt Kari get wrong today: Ever lost your car at a park??? Very strange for me…must have been daydreaming about Mickey on that one…

Busted the daily budget-sound familiar? Can you say divorce??? When my husband gets the Visa bill I may not have to worry about leaving Disney…

aurora, ariel, and bell
08-08-2009, 07:35 AM
Aunt Kari, I love your reports...keeps a smile on my face! If I tried to keep up your pace I'd be exhausted. Hope you have the energy left when everyone arrives;)
Make sure you get alot of pictures of the faces when they see all you've done. I am looking forward to your next installment!!:mickey:

T-Belle
08-08-2009, 08:07 AM
I love your reports and look forward to a daily dose of "the Adventures of Aunt Kari"! Peter Pan & Pooh? I agree with you. Haven't been on them in years, now that my kids are grown. But they are classic's that are hard to pass up when you have little ones. With the exception of Mickey's Philharmagic, I usually avoid Fantasyland. Can't wait for your next report!

nicster
08-08-2009, 10:46 AM
GOODMORNING WALT DISNEY WORLD!!! Okay, I just had to get that out:blush:, your trip reports are so real I feel like I am there with you--- thanks! The feet hurting thing is something I know all too well. DH & I walk 4 1/2+ miles everyday for months before a WDW vacation, just to get 'in shape' for all the walking while there. Our strategy has also included a visit to the water park for a few hours on the 3rd day, that seems to be when the pain really sets in (yes, even though we have 'trained' for all that walking). We aren't water slide riders (in our 50's), but we do like the wave pool & castaway creek at Typoon Lagoon. Floating in the water helps all those muscles forgive us for all the punishment we give them. I suppose the resort pool might work just as well. I am looking forward to the next phase of your trip reports, when the cast expands to include your sis & the little-uns.

Mindi Sanders
08-08-2009, 10:54 AM
Kari - Thanks for keeping the other twin and not so special sister up to date - heehee!
Wow - I am already exhausted hearing your schedule and the bottom of my feet hurt for you as well. Sounds like you may need a stroller by the time this is all said and done!
Enjoy your few hours of calm before the storm. Princess Carly will soon be overtaking any moment of silence that you have had so enjoy the solitude while you have it!
Please post all their reactions and ok I admit I am sad that Iam not there - Thanks for rubbing it in :( . At least I got to go to the circus :clown: and celebrate 4 holidays with you!
Get some rest crazy sis and know that your little sis loves you as we all do!

Vintage Disney
08-08-2009, 11:00 AM
AuntKari, I am in awe that you are getting up around 4:00 every morning and you keep going and going. You are like the Energizer Bunny.:mickey:

Thanks again for taking the time to report back to all of us.

faline
08-09-2009, 05:01 PM
I can't believe you get up at 4 a.m. every morning while you are on vacation! (That's my normal get-up time at home but it certainly will not be on vacation!)

I'm also a big fan of Wilderness Lodge!

DizNee143
08-10-2009, 10:23 AM
i am soo loving reading your reports...
another busy and eventful day..you sure do manage to get alot done every day! cant wait until everyone arrives and you can share the joy with everyone!!:mickey:

yjgirl32
08-10-2009, 10:27 AM
The only time I get up at 4 am is to go to the bathrooma dn then I crawl right back into bed. My DS6 must be related to you tho- he is a definate early riser- even for school. Sounds like you are having way too much fun- and I know I am with your report. Can't wait to read more. Thanks for sharing.

BluewaterBrad
08-10-2009, 03:50 PM
I know that third day foot feeling so well!! The third day is usually a rest and resort day for us. For our trip in Oct. we signed up for a massage at the resort. I cant wait!:mickey:

pdrlkr
08-11-2009, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey: