PDA

View Full Version : How much time for Downtown Disney?

FaithTrustPixieDust
08-07-2009, 10:35 AM
We're staying at POFQ and plan to take the boat to finally explore DTD. We've got 2 kids- ages 6 and 8.

I don't think we'll stay there for a meal, and I don't intend to spend the $$$ for the balloon ride or DisneyQuest.

I know they will be interested in the Lego store. Other than that, what should we check out, and how much time should we plan to spend there?

Thanks!:mickey:

magicofdisney
08-07-2009, 10:46 AM
They have lots of stores for shopping. At World of Disney you can get a discount using Disney Visa or if you're a passholder.

Earl of Sandwich has fabulous food at reasonable prices. I recommend a stop there and then Ghirardelli's for dessert. :mickey:

disneymom15
08-07-2009, 11:22 AM
We usually send 2 to 3 hours at DTD. I agree, Earl is very good and inexpensive. Wolfgang Puck Express is also very good and not alot of $$.

Missy_Mouses_Dad
08-07-2009, 11:26 AM
The Earl and Ghirardelli's are a must. There is a story for everybody and every need (just about) at DTD. DW and DD love the Christmas store. If you have a DS, check out the sporting goods store (name escapes me). We have watched them make bats and baseballs there.

FaithTrustPixieDust
08-07-2009, 11:30 AM
If you have a DS, check out the sporting goods store (name escapes me). We have watched them make bats and baseballs there.

ooooh yes!! DS6 is obsessed with baseball. I've never heard this mentioned before. If anyone knows the name of that store, please post. THANKS!

caryrae
08-07-2009, 11:35 AM
ooooh yes!! DS6 is obsessed with baseball. I've never heard this mentioned before. If anyone knows the name of that store, please post. THANKS!

Team Mickey Athletic Club

This opened up inside the store a couple years ago.

Rawlings Opens One of a Kind Location at Downtown Disney
Sep 13, 2007

WDW Public Affairs - LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla., September 12, 2007 – A new Downtown Disney merchandise location operated by Rawlings offers guests the opportunity to play baseball like the pros with personalized bats and gloves, balls and helmets.

Located inside the Team Mickey Athletic Club, Rawlings officially opened on Sept. 10 and has special viewing areas where guests can see their names, signatures and even their amateur team’s logos laser-engraved or embroidered on the item of their choice.

While Rawlings has a game-day presence at seven ballparks across the country, the Team Mickey location offers a more extensive line of products and is the first to be open daily year-round.

“Our guests want variety in their activities and entertainment,” said Keith Bradford, vice president, operating participants, Walt Disney Parks & Resorts. “Working with partners like Rawlings complements our own efforts to provide guests with experiences they won’t find anywhere else.”

bruin1344
08-07-2009, 01:05 PM
im not a big shopper and now that pleasure island is closed, prob less than an hour

tinksmom02
08-07-2009, 03:07 PM
We love DTD and usually visit at least twice each trip. The daytime will be less crowded than evening (at least that's what we've found). I would say 2-3 hours, as others have mentioned. We don't go over to the West Side at all, just Marketplace.

AHOTE
08-07-2009, 11:46 PM
im not a big shopper and now that pleasure island is closed, prob less than an hour

:ditto:
Lunch or dinner at T-Rex would be nice or a visit to their store.

jenny1976
08-08-2009, 09:09 AM
We usually take a morning off for DTD and go back if we need to on an day where we have done AK, for example, which closes either at 5pm or 7pm. There are a lot of things for the kids like World of Disney, Once Upon a Toy, the Lego Store, and the create a tee store. Wolfgang Puck express is good and not expensive, also you have Wetzel's Pretzels for a snack. Also, Ghirardelli and the Can dy Cauldron.
Have a Great trip :mickey:

Darbylew
08-08-2009, 10:54 AM
We never miss going to DTD. We always eat
at Wolf Gang's Express. It is great. There are
lots of shops and sometimes live entertainment
along the board walk (free). Don't forget to stop in at Ghirardelli for some chocolate and ice cream. The store called World of Disney is a great place to shop. If you are a Disney visa card holder they give a discount there and also at Wolf Gang's Puck Express. Have a fun time.

KatrinaJ91
08-08-2009, 07:22 PM
If your kids are into the pins, there is a pin store there. Even if you don't eat there, stop in to both T-Rex and Rainsforest Cafe. The kids will LOVE the atmosphere. Goofy's Candy store is fun as well. We are usually in the World of Disney store alone for almost an hour because it is so massive and there is so much to look at!

jonahbear2006
08-09-2009, 04:59 AM
I'd say 2 hrs is enough, if you aren't planning on eating a sit down meal there. There are some really neat shops but there is a great deal of walking too. My children never fuss in disney, with the exception of going to downtown disney. Their little legs get tired here, very quickly.

kakn7294
08-09-2009, 12:15 PM
We spend as little time as possible at DTD. I HATE the crowds, especially at the WoD store late in the evenings. I much prefer to go in the morning or early afternoon if time permits. If it's your first time there, probably a couple of hours should do it if you only want to shop and look around.

MistressGracey
08-09-2009, 01:33 PM
For little ones, I'd stick to the Marketplace side of DTD, and skip the West Side altogether. Since Virgin closed down, we will be doing the same.

In the Marketplace, we love Goofy's candy shop, World of Disney, Once Upon A Toy, Lego, and even Basin was cool for our kids because of the weird themed fresh cut soap bars (they like they Chocolate Sundae one)...

We LOVE the over the top theme of the Rainforest Cafe and we're trying T-Rex next month.

Don't forget to stop by Ghirardelli for a free sample!:thumbsup:

KatrinaJ91
08-09-2009, 09:19 PM
We LOVE the over the top theme of the Rainforest Cafe and we're trying T-Rex next month.

We went to T-Rex last month and LOVED it! It is alot like Rainforest, but the dinosaurs were very cool! You will enjoy it!

acetate
08-12-2009, 08:14 AM
I'd say half a day. So many neat stores on the Marketplace side. Art of Disney, The Christmas Shop, Toy Store, and of course...World of Disney ! Add in a lunch or snacks and you could be there 6 hours. Depends on your group and your patience I 'spose.

vws_and_disney
08-12-2009, 04:18 PM
4 hours tops. and that's allowing you an hour in world of disney. there is a lot of cool stores and some good snack places you dont wanna miss. Westside is a total bore though