PDA

View Full Version : What a Magical Place

AuntKari
08-07-2009, 05:40 AM
Aunt Kari’s at Disney-What a Magical Place-Day 2

Well, here I am again paying my $9.95 internet fee-okay, I’ll just feel blessed to have it. I mean how can you complain sitting on your deck waiting for the EWP to come by…Can I say “spoiled” HA!

Nice to hear back from all of you on my first day here. Yes, Faline, I move off site with the family when they arrive. Yes, nicster, it is great to be the “cool Aunt”. We all have different families but no matter what makes up yours, family is a blessing from God. Seems like Aurora/Ariel/Bell gets that!

Hi Everybody-Here goes Day 2 of Aunt Kari’s Trip-still quiet another few days before all the gang arrives!

Can you say THUNDERSTORM? I mean serious lightening and thunder!!! I have heard the sky crack but never like that. For those of you in the parks today you know what I mean!

Note:
a) Yes, you cannot have too many pairs of socks if it rains like that every day!
b) Hollywood Studios is not grid and a bit harder to navigate in my opinion
c) Sandra-haven’t found a man to bring back to you yet…yes, I know, you don’t want Grumpy and you don’t want Sleepy. (And you think this is possible when looking for a man????...)
d) I like a Cobb salad!
e) Still enjoying the calm before the storm
f) Have started Photopass and all seems well so far-will keep you posted with evaluations.
g) For those of you planning your first trip, I find all of Disney property to be smaller than I expected and easier to navigate than I expected with less driving times than I expected. However, I am quite a mapper/navigator and once inside all of Disney World it is harder to get the bird’s eye view of it. Does that make sense?
h) Forgot to mention that it is good to have exact change for toll roads and $1.00 bills are great for tipping.

What did Aunt Kari do today: Got up at 4:15 AM and did some paper work. One year to plan but still a lot of last minute stuff. Drove to rental home to time and navigate from there. Went to Animal Kingdom. Walked entire park to know everything. Enjoyed the morning here versus last night at crammed Magic Kingdom! There were not as many animals as I expected-especially in the Oasis (which was also smaller than I expected. Did not find Pangani Forest or the Maharajah Jungle Track to be that terrific compared to really good zoos. LOVED the great sitting/eating areas in this park!! Well done! If you are planning to take food into the park to save money one day this is the park to do it at. Thought this park might be harder to navigate but it is not (I found DHS harder). Went to Hollywood Studios. Had a nice Cobb salad at Brown Derby. Got in easily with no reservation. Walked entire park to know everything. Serious thunderstorm today. Came back to change and went to Boardwalk. Walked entire loop around lake to know everything. Went back to Downtown Disney (Marketplace only) again to walk it all and know everything. Returned to hotel and bed about midnight for a 4:00 AM wake-up. Sure is something to natural adrenaline!

Hotel: Came home to nice things from the concierge staff and a cute towel. Really enjoying the room and hotel.

Drink: I don’t drink much but I understand wine and work with it and I had a glass of chardonnay with my Cobb Salad. I was disappointed in the amount of wine in the glass. Very nice waitress and service but it should have been a bit more.

Food: Cobb Salad good. Tables in Wonderland worked well for me and I would recommend it.

Shopping: Animal Kingdom has some nice items. They only make/sell 1 soft toy (stuffed animals) Pumba in ALL of Disney. Disneyland Paris seems to have more soft toys (stuffed animals)-wonder if Europe likes soft toys more??? I find the boys harder to shop for than the girls. Trying to get all the shopping done.

Aunt Kari’s Magical Moments:

Spreading the Magic: This will begin with the children on Sunday.

Evaluations: Cheap ponchos are definitely no fun. For anyone wondering, 192 is a busy stop and go wide street-not a small or large or fast highway. I think everything on the Universe can be found off this road. More security everywhere at Disney than I expected. Still lovin that Water Pageant!

What did Disney get wrong today: I find DHS streets a bit more confusing than other parks.

What did Aunt Kari get wrong today: Busted the daily budget-sound familiar?

VWL Mom
08-07-2009, 08:16 AM
If your family doesn't appreciate all your efforts, we'll be arriving on Monday and you can adopt us.:D

If your having problems with gifts for the 14yo boy you might try anything from RnRc shop, insulated water bottle holder with park logo (can be worn cross body and double for money holder), Mickey tourist beanie baby with date, or small yeti plush (doubles as a ball). Mine are 14 & 17 but at Disney the magic sets in and they are just kids.

T-Belle
08-07-2009, 08:40 AM
Your not alone about confusing streets in DHS. I find it difficult too. Actually, the only park where I grab a map. Looking forward to your next report!

Strmchsr
08-07-2009, 09:15 AM
Can you say THUNDERSTORM? I mean serious lightening and thunder!!! I have heard the sky crack but never like that. For those of you in the parks today you know what I mean!

Well, can't say I didn't warn you. :D I told you some of those summertime thunderstorms can be seriously nasty.

Glad you're having a great trip and I hope it only gets better!! :mickey:

Vintage Disney
08-07-2009, 09:47 AM
Hi AuntKari, sounds like you are really scouting out the territory and getting ready for the troops to arrive :mickey:

DHS can be a bit confusing especially when it is super crowded.

It sounds like you enjoy walking (I do too). If you want to do a peaceful woodsy walk try the nature trail/jogging path that runs between Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness. It starts behind the bike and boat rental hut at Wilderness Lodge. Concierge should be able to give you a map for this.

yjgirl32
08-07-2009, 11:19 AM
Sounds like a wonderful trip so far. Thanks for sharing.

DizNee143
08-07-2009, 02:52 PM
another awesome day!! :mickey:

faline
08-07-2009, 02:54 PM
Even after multiple trips, I still get turned around within Disney Studios - don't know what it is about that park!

You're really getting the lay of the land before your family arrives!

nicster
08-08-2009, 01:54 AM
Hey AuntKari, I know what you mean about thunderstorms. We were there for Hurricane Charlie in 2004--- that was a storm ... and an adventure! Just curious, after your reconnaissance work today, did you change or adjust any of your plans??

Rekenna
08-08-2009, 03:10 PM
Hi Aunt Kari!

I love your trip reports-it would be neat to get there a couple of days early, by myself, to get everything in line. Sounds peaceful and fun.

I'm sure you are swamped, but I cannot wait to read your next trip report. It is very intriquing to me that a. you are there by yourself, b. your family is coming and all of the neat things you are doing to make their stay extra magical, c. I think I read somewhere that after your family leaves you are spending another 9 days with all adults? if so-totally awesome, and d. I think I also read that by the time it is all said and done you will have been there 26 days! SWEET!

Hopefully I have my facts correct.

Have a fantastic time and keep the reports coming! Thanks a bunch!:mickey:

BluewaterBrad
08-10-2009, 03:53 PM
:thumbsup::mickey:

pdrlkr
08-11-2009, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

SBETigg
08-12-2009, 11:49 AM
Another great day, another busted budget. :mickey:

Mickeydream
08-18-2009, 06:20 PM
Just catching up with all your trip reports....what fun your family is going to have!! :mickey: