PDA

View Full Version : OT has strongly recommended utilizing GAP while at WDW...what do I need to know?

DisneyAggies
08-06-2009, 06:07 PM
As far as using it, documentation needed (OT said she'd write a note outlining his condition), how is it handled as far as shows (Nemo at AK) is concerned, rides?

This is new ground for me, I'm just trying to get a handle on what to expect.

TIA!

ElenitaB
08-06-2009, 07:16 PM
I'm not sure what kind of condition your loved one has, but I can try to help. I have mobility issues (due to fatigue, weakness, etc.) and use an ECV to get around at WDW and here at home for museums, malls, etc. I've never really used a Guest Assistance Pass or Card, but am familiar with procedures for shows and such when in a chair or ECV. For Nemo the Musical, we wait in line until a certain point where we are sent to a special section along with the members of our party. We've been seated in what I would call the mezzanine as well as in the "balcony." Other shows have a similar set up. There is a space to park the chair or ECV and seats right along side the space.

Please let us know what other questions you have and we'll do our best to answer them.

DisneyAggies
08-08-2009, 07:15 PM
Thanks, Ellen.

YDS has been diagnosed SPD/SID. He has issues (under and over) processing some sensory stimuli, so I KNOW there are certain things we WON'T be doing with him, but he also has issues with strangers, confined spaces (being in close proximity with strangers), new situations, sound, and light. OT's thoughts are to get him through the cue (crowd noise is a BIG stimuli that does him in--) as quickly as possible so that he can get to the 'fun' part.

We will be bringing and using earplugs and comfort items from home, but the cue will very likely over-stress him. I plan on trying to keep him OUT of line as much as possible (and use fastpass), but it's not always possible...

Our OT is familiar with the GAP (she used to visit DL on a regular basis), and told me we need to utilize it to help him have a successful trip. But will it really be able to help my son with his needs?

Toodle
08-09-2009, 01:10 PM
I am not sure if it will help. All it really does is allow you to use a separate entrance into the attraction wherever possible. It will not decrease the stimuli or having to be in close proximity to strangers.