PDA

View Full Version : 'Sixteen Candles,' 'Breakfast Club' Director Hughes Dead at 59

Ian
08-06-2009, 05:38 PM
(CNN) -- John Hughes, whose 1980s films such as "Sixteen Candles," "The Breakfast Club" and "Some Kind of Wonderful" offered a sharp-eyed look at teenagers and their social habits, has died, according to a statement from his representative. He was 59.

The director died of a heart attack while taking a morning walk in Manhattan, according to the statement.

Hughes, who was also a prolific screenwriter and producer, was at his peak in the 1980s, when his films -- which starred young actors such as Molly Ringwald, Judd Nelson, Anthony Michael Hall and Jon Cryer -- dominated the box office and were hailed by critics for their thoughtful teen protagonists, rarely portrayed with such sympathy in comedies.

Ringwald, in particular, became a star, thanks to her performances as the lead in "Sixteen Candles," "Breakfast Club" and "Pretty in Pink."

For a time during the decade, the writer and director was behind two or three films a year. Among his other credits were "National Lampoon's Vacation" (1983), "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" (1986), the Thanksgiving classic "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" and "Home Alone" (1990).

John Hughes was born February 18, 1950, in Michigan. He started his career as an advertising copywriter in Chicago, and by the end of the 1970s was a frequent contributor to National Lampoon magazine.

His first screenwriting credit, according to the Internet Movie Database, was as a writer for the "Animal House" TV spinoff, "Delta House." But Hughes quickly moved over to the big screen, writing 1982's "National Lampoon's Class Reunion," followed the next year by "National Lampoon's Vacation," based on a story he had written for the magazine.

Mousefever
08-06-2009, 05:41 PM
I grew up on his movies. I hope his family is doing OK.

Amy

MNNHFLTX
08-06-2009, 06:16 PM
He was an amazing movie-maker, especially in the 80's. The Breakfast Club is one of my all-time favorites. He just really seemed to understand how teens think and what would appeal to them without being condescending.

How sad that he was so young. :(

Melanie
08-06-2009, 06:37 PM
Bummer.

Jeff
08-06-2009, 09:03 PM
I loved his 80's movies!
So young!

DizneyFreak2002
08-06-2009, 09:39 PM
John Hughes was a legend in my eyes.... The man's movies in the 80's were awesome.. I'll say he owned the 80's... Breakfast Club is one of my favorites!!!

R.I.P. sir... :(

NotaGeek
08-07-2009, 01:29 PM
You know all his movies are my part of the best memories of my teen years. :sad:

Mousefever
08-07-2009, 01:37 PM
I read a blog today from a woman who corresponded with John Hughes when The Breakfast Club had just come out and she was a teenager. It is a poignant example of the effect his movies on teens in the 1980's and moreover, of the type of person he was.

If you would like the link, please PM me. (There are swear words in the blog.)

Amy

AdventurerKim
08-07-2009, 06:02 PM
He wrote and directed amazing movies with amazing soundtracks. There will never be another like him.

RedSoxFan
08-07-2009, 07:19 PM
Sad. Pretty in Pink is still one of my all time favorite movies.