PDA

View Full Version : Luau Question?????

olivegirl
08-05-2009, 04:56 PM
Can anyone give me an opinion about the Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show at Luau Cove at the Poly.? I have one more ressie to make and I was just wondering about this place. :mickey:

rjmdds
08-05-2009, 05:20 PM
You will get a lot of mixed views on this. We did it last year because we had never done it. It was ok. The storyline of the show was a little lame. Some of the performances were very good. The kids enjoyed it and it kept their attention At the end they allowed all of the kids to come on the stage and they gave them all hula lessons. The food was pretty good. I know it is a little pricey. I think it is nice to try once. I wouldn't do it on repetitive trips I much preferred the Hoop De Doo, myself. If I remember from last year when I was asking around about it on here, I got a lot of people who did not like it all that much. But we did.

EeyoresBestFriend
08-05-2009, 07:27 PM
DH and I enjoyed it.

We have never been to Hawaii and seen a 'real' luau, but that being said ~ I think if you keep in mind that this is a Disney Dinner show with a hawaiian theme, you wouldn't be disappointed.

I would definitely do it again! :D

faline
08-05-2009, 07:33 PM
We haven't gone since the format changed but will do it again on our upcoming trip.

The old format was wonderful! In fact, I enjoyed it better than our first luau in Hawaii!!

Darbylew
08-05-2009, 08:07 PM
We have done the show and the children loved
it. The food was great. We really did enjoy it
and hope you will as well. Have a great time.
:lei:

DizneyRox
08-05-2009, 08:56 PM
IMHO - Garbage

SurferStitch
08-05-2009, 09:20 PM
DH and I went when it was the original format, and are finally going again this December to see the new show. We've wanted to do it the last couple years, but just never did. We absolutely loved it! :thumbsup:

Last time we were there the food was very good. I was very impressed considering the basic menu offered. Everything was cooked perfectly and very fresh.

We can't wait to go back and see the new show. I'm so glad they have some music from Lilo and Stitch in it now. I would love to actually see Lilo and Stitch doing a hula number, but it wouldn't work with the new format.

Jeffybob
08-06-2009, 07:04 AM
We saw the show last April and were disappointed.

The show is a "play" of sorts and although they try to showcase the dance from all of the islands while telling a story, it seemed disjointed to us.

If you have never been to Hawaii, I guess it would be OK, however, you need to remember you are at WDW (in Orlando) and not in the Poly islands and it is not really representative of the islands.

The cost is significant, two table service credits on the dining plan, and there are 3 levels of table seating to select from. On the other hand, it is all you can eat so if you are a big eater, it could be just the ticket. I have mixed reviews on the food. It was just OK.

It was one of my "to-do's" that I marked off your "bucket list". :mickey:

LandFan
08-06-2009, 05:19 PM
I think the original was much better. THe newer version is very lilo&stitch/commercialized. It is really geared towards those 10 and younger (and even some 10 year olds might find it too corny). The food was also very blah - nothing to write home about. I think Hoop Dee Doo is MUCH better than this.

JMHO:shrug:

Disney Penny
11-25-2009, 11:38 AM
I would not waste my money on it. As stated before, the show is not as good as the original one was. In fact, it is quite lame. The food is nothing to rave about. Be aware that even if you pay for the most expensive seat hoping to get a good view of the show, you could have a post blocking your view as we did last February. Hoop Dee Doo is a much better show. You can check out the luau shows in the Orlando area (Disney, Sea World, and Universal) on the You Tube website. (I wish someone at Disney would update the show and the menu!) :lei::drum::chef:

faline
11-25-2009, 11:49 AM
We did go back in August to see the new format. It was raining the night we were there so I think some of the show was adapted due to that. For example, they did not use any of the stage out front - only the stage portion that was under cover. The one exception to that was the fire dancer who used the wet, open portion of the stage for his dance.

Food was decent. Show was okay. I preferred the more formal presentation that was done as part of the old show. I, personally, would not go out of my way to attend again soon.

mousetrapper
11-25-2009, 12:11 PM
I agree with others here - it is not worth the money. Hoop Dee Doo is soooo much better.

We never had the chance to see the original luau. I had heard it was very good so I regret missing that.

I have to say I really do not understand why Stitch is all over the place at WDW! It absolutely makes no sense to me. Can anyone out there explain it? Is Lilo & Stitch really that popular among the kids?

We just returned from WDW and Stitch was everywhere. There was even one instance (I forget exactly where/what it was) where Stitch was featured along with the original characters. He's on the video in the Magical Express buses, etc...So out of place and weird! I am starting to think Stitch paid off Disney or something! :D

Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest. :blush:

rubato
11-25-2009, 01:37 PM
I wish I could have gotten a refund. I like the term "lame" that an above poster used to describe the show. The story was no good. The fire dancers were pretty good, but one of them caught part of his costume on fire. :blush:

The food was horrible. And, it was difficult to get our waiter to bring us anything.

The seats were behind a post and we were in category 1. My son couldn't see anything.

SurferStitch
11-25-2009, 03:21 PM
Still looking forward to it!! Only 14 more days!

:stitch2:

Gator
11-25-2009, 03:54 PM
It wasn't as good as the Luau we got to see in Kauai, but that's to be expected. The show was pretty good, but the food couldn't match the luau pig they roasted on the islands. I'd say it's worth doing at least once. It's less crazy than the HoopDeeDoo.