PDA

View Full Version : Their best album?

The Reservoir Dog
08-04-2009, 11:29 AM
Rumours by Fleetwood Mac. Multi million selling album. But was it their best album?

Born In The USA by Bruce Springsteen. His best selling album. But was it his best album?

Hotel California by The Eagles. Iconic as it is but was it their best album?

Many artists are associated with a certain record but it wasn't necessarily their best?

So here are three for starters. They are all the best selling albums by these artists but does it mean it was their best shot. Would be interested on everyone elses views on other artists and wether or not some albums are very much over rated.:thumbsup:

Ian
08-04-2009, 11:41 AM
Well to comment directly on the three you listed, I'd say Rumors is definitely Fleetwood Mac's best album. Born in the U.S.A. is not Springsteen's best, though. There are probably 3 or 4 others I'd pick before Born in the U.S.A.

Hotel California? Eh ... that's a harder call. I've found that The Eagles' albums are almost split pretty evenly in terms of their quality. I can't immediately think of one album of theirs that's head and shoulders better than the others.

How about Peter Gabriel? He's best known for So, which I don't think is his best album. His best, IMO, is probably his third album ("Melt").

Another one that immediately comes to mind is Yes. They're definitely best known for 90125, but they probably have at least 2 or 3 better albums than that (Fragile and Tales from Topographic Oceans come immediately to mind).

Dire Straits? Everyone knows them from Brothers in Arms, but I think Making Movies and Love Over Gold are both better albums.

Scar
08-04-2009, 01:18 PM
1. Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours" (not Rumors Ian ;)) - Definitely their best.

2. Springsteen's "Born In The USA" - Maybe 4th. But "Born To Run" is way more "associated" with him then any other album

3. Eagles "Hotel California" - Who cares? I couldn't even name another one.

Pagan
08-04-2009, 03:06 PM
3. Eagles "Hotel California" - Who cares? I couldn't even name another one.
LOL!

I'll take a stab at some...

Elton John ~ Captain Fantasic & The Brown Dirt Cowboy - His most popular, but certainly nowhere near the brilliance of "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road".
Queensryche ~ Operation: Mindcrime - Okay...this IS their best. Haven't touched it since.
Beatles ~ Let It Be - I'll take "Abbey Road" or "Revolver" over that any day.
Led Zeppelin ~ IV - Again...yup, their best.
Black Sabbath ~ Paranoid - Since most people forget Ozzy wasn't their only singer, this is the most popular album. However, "Heaven & Hell" with Ronnis James Dio on vocals was far superior.
Queen ~ News of The World - Thanks to "We Are The Champions" and "Bicycle Race", this is their most popular. ANY of their first five albums though, especially "A Day At The Races" are much better.
REO Speedwagon ~ Hi Infidelity - Was their biggest hit, but "You Can Tune A Piano But You Can't Tuna Fish" is their best.
Styx ~ Cornerstone - Had their biggest hit "Babe" and was the pinnacle of their popularity, but can't hold a candle to "Pieces of Eight" or "The Grand Illusion".
Journey ~ Escape - Again, held all the biggest hits, but earlier albums "Infinity" and "Evolution" were better.

That's all for now. :)

The Reservoir Dog
08-04-2009, 05:53 PM
I gave the first three as examples but didn't actually comment myself.

Mac's "Rumours" is a great album but I have always been fond of their self titled album a year before.

Springsteen's " Born To Run" or "Darkness On The Edge Of Town" win it for me.

Hotel California. Have to agree with Ian. Desperado does come close though.

Pagan: Totally agree on Led Zep IV & Beatles "Revolver" (much better than Sgt Pepper)

Ian: Yes Dire Straits "Makin' Movies"

Here's another one for you all.
Pink Floyds "Dark Side Of The Moon or "The Wall"

Pagan
08-04-2009, 11:02 PM
Dark Side...hands down. No contest.

RAIDER
08-05-2009, 03:47 AM
Springsteen .....The Rising for me the tracks of Nothing Man & Your Missing nearly bring me to tears ....The River is a close second

Dire Straits ..Love over Gold

Aerosmith ...Pump

Eagles ...Long Road from Eden has now taken over form Hotel California for me

Clash ...London Calling

I will throw in a grenade .......what do you think Michael Jacksons best album was

The Reservoir Dog
08-05-2009, 04:28 AM
I will throw in a grenade .......what do you think Michael Jacksons best album was

Going along the theme of the thread obviously Jackson's "Thriller" is the big album.
Now this is not my opinion as I've not heard the whole album but "Off The Wall" is the favourite with most of the people I've asked.

diz_girl
08-05-2009, 10:50 AM
Going along the theme of the thread obviously Jackson's "Thriller" is the big album.
Now this is not my opinion as I've not heard the whole album but "Off The Wall" is the favourite with most of the people I've asked.

I'd also have to say "Off the Wall" if probably my favorite too.

Led Zeppelin IV is probably their best album.

The Clash - "London Calling" - agreed. It showed that you could create great music with social commentary and not be preachy about it.

Let's try AC/DC - "Highway to Hell" or "Back in Black"? I'd say "Highway to Hell"

Or Stevie Wonder - "Songs in the Key of Life"? "Talking Book"? "Innervisions"? That's a tougher choice, and I don't think that I can choose.

Pagan
08-05-2009, 02:10 PM
Or Stevie Wonder - "Songs in the Key of Life"? "Talking Book"? "Innervisions"? That's a tougher choice, and I don't think that I can choose.
I'm going with " Fulfillingness' First Finale".

Jeff
08-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Beatles - Abbey Road or Revolver
Stones - Some Girls
REO - Tuna Fish
Bruce - Greetings From Asbury Park
Eagles - Hotel
Dire Straits - Making Movies (a great album)
Aerosmith - Toys in the Atic
Elton - Honky Chateau
Floyd - Dark Side
ELO - Eldorodo
Fleetwood - Mystery to Me (for Hypnotized)
Queen - Day at the Races
Styx - The Grand Illusion
Niel Young - Harvest Moon
Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks
M. Jackson - none (but the man could dance)

Pagan
08-06-2009, 10:06 AM
Let's try AC/DC - "Highway to Hell" or "Back in Black"? I'd say "Highway to Hell"
Missed this one...I'd take "Powerage" over both of those. "Sin City" being arguably the best song they ever wrote.

Let's see...

Iron Maiden ~ Most people would go with "Number of the Beast", but "Powerslave" is a better album

KISS ~ "Alive!" is their definitive album, before they sold out and went pop.

Rush ~ Most people know "Moving Pictures", but go back to "2112" or "Hemispheres" for their masterpieces.

Metallica ~ Sold a gazillion copies of "The Black Album", but nothing will ever come close to "Master of Puppets".

Judas Priest ~ "Screaming For Vengeance" remains their pinnacle of success, but "Stained Class" had better songs.

Billy Joel ~ "Glass Houses" has a ton of hits, but "Piano Man" was his best.

The Reservoir Dog
08-06-2009, 10:13 AM
Billy Joel ~ "Glass Houses" has a ton of hits, but "Piano Man" was his best.

Interesting one. As far as I know "The Stranger" was his best selling album. Personally I have always liked "Turnstiles"

Pagan
08-06-2009, 01:46 PM
Interesting one. As far as I know "The Stranger" was his best selling album. Personally I have always liked "Turnstiles"
To quote Billy...."you may be right..."

RAIDER
08-06-2009, 04:38 PM

Its Innocent Man for me ..A brilliant album in its day :thumbsup:

The Reservoir Dog
08-07-2009, 04:44 AM
To quote Billy...."you may be right..."

I May Be Crazy!

Mousemates
08-20-2009, 10:03 PM
Styx ~ Cornerstone - Had their biggest hit "Babe" and was the pinnacle of their popularity, but can't hold a candle to "Pieces of Eight" or "The Grand Illusion".

I lived in their day and in my opinion Styx never had a best album :ack: :)

to the list I'll add:

Tom Petty - **** the torpedos

Alice in Chains - Jar of Flies

REM - document

U2 - The Joshua Tree

Goo Goo Dolls - a boy named goo