PDA

View Full Version : Weather in December

PopGrl
08-04-2009, 10:34 AM
My DH and I are planning a trip in December. I am curious about how the weather will be then. I know one lady who went and said it was awful the whole time she was there, rainy and cold. Anyone else been there during this time?

faline
08-04-2009, 11:01 AM
It can be just as you described. It can also be wonderful - with highs in the 70s and 80s, sunny and warm enough for swimming. It can be some combination of cold and warm - all in the same trip. If you go at this time of year, be prepared for all eventualities.

By the way, we've gone several times in December. The times we've had nice, pleasant weather have far outweighed other weather. We've never really run into much rain at this time of year though we have run into some pretty cold temperatures - even dipping below freezing. The last time we went to Mickey's Christmas party, we felt like we were back home in the Northeast - it was that cold! On other occasions, we've worn shorts!

Strmchsr
08-04-2009, 11:24 AM
:ditto:

Check the historic weather conditions page in Info Central for exact conditions no the dates you're considering for the last several years.

disneymom15
08-04-2009, 11:41 AM
I agree with faline. We've encountered an array of weather in Dec. Pack for warm and cold. Also keep an eye on strmchsr forecast here on intercot. I find his forecasts are very accurate.

diz_girl
08-04-2009, 03:41 PM
Another Ditto. December through February is generally a dry period at WDW. So having a rainy trip in December is unusual. We were there this past December and didn't see a single drop of rain. The beginning of our trip was cool, but not cold. Definitely a jeans, long-sleeves and jacket day. But it warmed up throughout the week and it was quite nice. The only weather that you can guarantee at WDW is June through September, where it's hot and humid and you should expect a thunderstorm at 3 p.m. every day.

elmjimmlm
08-04-2009, 08:35 PM
We were there NYs week and loved the weather...It did get a little cold some nights after dark but it was a good excuse to buy some new Disney sweatshirts...:mickey:

pokci
08-05-2009, 04:51 PM
In 2007 we went the week after Thanksgiving, same as this year's trip! :magic: We were there for 10 days. The first 8 it was in the 80s almost every day. Shorts and tank tops, swimming in the afternoon and shorts and sweaters for evenings. The last two days a cold front came through and it finally dipped to the 60s. :sleigh: Gorgeous time of year!!

iluvdumbo
08-05-2009, 05:06 PM
In 2003 and 2004, my mom and I went down for a long weekend the second weekend in December, right before my birthday.

The weather was nice during the day, but at night in 2004 in MK, they were selling gloves and hats it was so cold.

The weather was better than NY though. No snow and temps above freezing:thumbsup:

The plus side for going in December is the crowds aren't bad at all. Have fun!

jillluvsdisney
08-05-2009, 05:23 PM
You have to pack with wearing layers in mind. The sun goes down early also. A warm, sunny day could still be a cool evening. I've been there 4 times in December and 2 of the 4 were cold the entire trip. Cold was 60 degrees tops. The 2 warm trips were mid 70's the entire time. Last years trip was warm, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this December's trip.
You can swim when it is in the 70 but a breeze will make you cold. I never swam at night, I needed the warm sunshine.

MushuGrl
08-05-2009, 09:22 PM
We did our first December trip last year, and it was wonderful. If you don't like the rain and humidity of the summer, this is definitely the time to go. Out of seven days, there was only one day of rain (and it was over in a couple of hours). Weather ranged from low 60's to high 80's.

It was nice to trot around Animal Kingdom and not wilt from the heat!

DisneyPrincess21
08-05-2009, 10:33 PM
My DH and I are planning a trip in December. I am curious about how the weather will be then. I know one lady who went and said it was awful the whole time she was there, rainy and cold. Anyone else been there during this time?

This will be my third December trip in a row to WDW, And to put it lightly it is hot. Our first December trip during Christmas it was in the upper 80's (in 2006) I am use to having snow on the ground in December and I am in the lines at Disney sweating, lol And asking "is it December?" It can get alittle chilly at night especially around the water area's like for Illuminations. I usually always bring my Hoodie with me regardless but especially on the epcot night. One time I packed socks in my purse so I could take off my flip flops and put on socks while I was sitting on the ground watching Illuminations.

:tink:
Hope you have a magical vacation!

PopGrl
08-05-2009, 10:49 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I am so looking forward to going down there this time of year. No matter what the weather is, we are going to have a great time. We will be going the 12th - 17th. I can't wait to see everything all lit up with Christmas lights!

GusNJacque
08-05-2009, 11:28 PM
I've been several times in December too. As mentioned the weather can run from hot to cold. Just pack a little bit of everything. Make sure to pack a set of gloves and a hat. You'll be really glad you did if you need them.