PDA

View Full Version : How much money for kids??

momof3+twins
08-04-2009, 08:12 AM
We decided to take a last minute trip and go for the free dining in Oct. The kids are working around the house like crazy to make money. I don't "give" them souvenier money. They have to earn and save. They have about 5 dollars right now!LOL!! How much money do you think they need to get souveniers? I think Disney toys break easily so I will be the final say which will narrow it down.
But, how much do your kids take?

mudpuppysmom
08-04-2009, 08:35 AM
For his own purchases we ususally let DS spend around $40-50, sometimes that will include a shirt, sometimes not. We always get a shirt though whether he buys it with his money, or we buy it (and then I later wrap it as a gift for him (b-day/x-mas). My son has a weakness for the candy though -- so it has to have a limit set on it -- we do come home with a couple bags though from Goofy's (stuff you can't really get at home like the character shaped gummies).

DS usually waits until we go to the outlet to spend most of his "spending money" though -- he understands you can get more there with the same amount of $$.

I like you have final say though.....if I know something is going to last five seconds in his hot little hands then a NO is in order and we move on......he balks but in five minutes he forgets about whatever it was he wanted and moves on!

tys_mommy
08-04-2009, 08:40 AM
We tend to not spend a lot on souvenirs. I do bring some gifts from home as surprises while we are waiting in line and everyone gets new Disney wear packed. I also buy lots of pins from ebay before we leave - DS really knows how to trade for keepers that he wants - we do let him pick out 2 pins a trip though that we'll buy new. If we do buy things there it's usually limited to $20 per kid, we have way too much at home already and like a previous poster mentioned – I’m not really impressed with the quality of most Disney souvenirs we’ve gotten in the past. We plan our trips way early in advance and the kids get Disney Dollars for all the holidays celebrated before we leave - those are used for their souvenirs or for special treats (afternoon snacks, character meals, or other extras that we may not usually do)

momof3+twins
08-04-2009, 08:55 AM
I am thinking $50? What do you think? They might buy the sugar stick things but besides that I don't think candy is an issue. And t-shirts are something they don't really care about so...$50?

betteratmk
08-04-2009, 08:59 AM
I don't know how old your children are but we use the envelope system. We've used that approach since he was 5. DS is 12 now. We put a set amount in an envelope, one for each day that we're there( this is now money that he has earned himself) I believe we started with $5.00 a day at 5years. Then we explained to him that this was his money to spend the way he wanted, toys, arcade, candy(we did limit the candy!!) but once he spent it, he was done for the day, there would be no can I haves!! He also could roll the money over to the next day if he saw a special toy that was more than the envelope for the day! It really made him think even at that age. I have to admit that we always bought the tee or sweatshirt for him. Now he's 12 and will make up his own envelopes, he usually brings about 150.00 to Disney and for the most part brings home abouy 120.00 now!!! He hates to part with it! he now has an appreciation for how much things cost and will say I really don't need that or it's less expensive at home. He will spend about 30.00 on the arcade for the week!:D

Mickey'sGirl
08-04-2009, 09:20 AM
Well, our children have been saving change (and DS11 saved all of his snow shovelling money) since February, and have over $500 to split between them. They save up in order to spend at the LEGO store. They are not frivilous spenders, but guys who save with a goal in mind...and LEGO kits can be pricey.

I always hold onto their money, then they ask for it when they are ready to complete the sale.

tinksmom02
08-04-2009, 11:15 AM
My daughter (she'll be 7 next week!) has been saving since January for our trip and currently has $101 to spend. (and I know that MIL got her another $50 in Disney dollars). BUT, she kind of knows what she wants to buy down there. She wants a little wooden animal from the African Outpost, which I understand can be expensive, and she has a list a mile long of stuff she wants from the Lego store. I know there will be other stuff, too. I'm going to be in charge of her stash, though--holding onto it, and like others have said, having the final say. And I have told her repeatedly that she doesn't HAVE to spend all her money there--it's OK to bring some home!

This is the first trip she's bringing her own spending money, so hopefully Mom and Dad won't have to dip into our wallets for her. Oh, wait, Grandma and Grandpa are coming with us...never mind, they'll spoil her silly. :thumbsup:

She's our only kid, though...If I read your userid right, you have 5 kids, so I would agree with others and say that about $50 per kid should be plenty. Just remind them that they don't have to spend it all the first day, and most of the usual souveniers can be found everywhere, so there's usually no rush to get it right that second. Let them "window shop" for a few days before they buy too much.

betteratmk
08-04-2009, 01:29 PM
Well, our children have been saving change (and DS11 saved all of his snow shovelling money) since February, and have over $500 to split between them. They save up in order to spend at the LEGO store. They are not frivilous spenders, but guys who save with a goal in mind...and LEGO kits can be pricey.

I always hold onto their money, then they ask for it when they are ready to complete the sale.

That's awesome!!!! It's good to have a plan!:number1:

Jeri Lynn
08-04-2009, 03:57 PM
When our kids were younger they also did chores around the house to earn Disney dollars and usually ended up with about $50 each. However, since this was their money and they earned it, I let them spend it on whatever they wanted, even though I knew something they might buy may not last. But I did not want to stress over it at WDW and argue about it so whatever they wanted with their own money they bought. If it was my money then I would have had some say. It always worked out pretty good for us.

momof3+twins
08-04-2009, 05:10 PM
Last October I let the kids get whatever they wanted with their money. And the only things that haven't broken are stuffed animals and hats. Disney's quality is awful these days. Even those cute monorails..broken. My kids aren't hard on toys either! I hate broken overpriced toys!

BIGDOG
08-04-2009, 05:37 PM
It is pretty much endless for my kids, very hard to say no at the parks or resorts. We miss alot of other things at home(moviea,eating out,small trips,etc.)to save for the trip so it is not easy to say no when we are there.They are pretty good they sometimes want the cheapest things that catch thier eyes.

elmjimmlm
08-04-2009, 07:59 PM
Since we go back often and there are usually the same things there every time we go, we make them think of one main thing that they want and then let them have about 50.00 a piece after that...That way it is fair and we often remind them when they try to buy the pricer item that they could get more if it is cheaper and that they could wait on the pricey item until next time...

princessesmom
08-04-2009, 09:12 PM
We gave each of our 4 children $25 for souvenirs on our last trip. They also got $5/child from their grandparents, so they had $30 to spend. It was plenty for the 3 girls. My son loves legos, so he spent his money there. I believe he ended up using some of his own money to supplement, which was his option. We told them up front what their limit was, so there were no arguments.

missymouseworld
08-05-2009, 07:30 AM
With our kids, we decided $20.00 per park we visited...since we went to all 4 parks, they were able to use it at each one, or save it up for a bigger purchase at one park.

TikiGoddess
08-05-2009, 07:39 AM
We have told our girls (ages 4 and 6) that they may pick out ONE souvenir (toy - stuffed animal - whatever!) during our 10 day trip. That would be paid by mom and dad. Our 6 yr old got wind that there is a Build A Dino store at the T-Rex restaurant, so she knows exactly what she wants to get. The 4 yr old will most likely end up with plush too.

We are also allowing them to bring some money that they've earned through chores and the Tooth Fairy :D. DD6 has $10 and DD4 has $8. I mainly did it as a lesson on counting and money. It's not much but then... hey, we're taking them to Disney World! That in itself is a present. :)

Kathy

momof3+twins
08-05-2009, 08:39 AM
Disney itself is a presennt.....I like that!!
BTW, I do think Build A Bear Dinos are very generous. We spent 88.00 on two with just t-shirts. They are cute though!:thumbsup:

buzznwoodysmom
08-05-2009, 12:49 PM
We've done the envelope system in the past as well and it really works out great. Not only do the boys get a lesson in counting and managing money, but they are much more careful and thoughtful about what they buy. We have a change jug at home that I cash out every time we get up to $100. Since they often add their change or a dollar bill here and there of their own money the last jug of $100 gets split between them. So that's $50 each. Then they are always more than welcomed to bring any of their own money from report cards, tooth fairy, birthdays, Christmas, chores. Once we are there they typically have between $50 and $100 each to spend. For the most part I let them do what they please with their money, but have be known to persuade them out of a purchase if I think its going to be a huge waste. We pay for any snacks, and usually one tshirt per trip, and I always let them each pick a Christmas ornament that I also pay for. No matter the amount, a trip to WDW can be a great money learning experience for a child of almost any age.

Like another poster mentioned, I often tell my kids that the trip to WDW itself was our gift to them. I also try to make my kids understand that our vacations are about spending time together as a family, not about buying toys and junk. But.... its WDW after all and there seems to be so much junk that looks so appealing at the time! LOL.

Woozle
08-05-2009, 02:27 PM
We did gift cards for our trip in June and each kid (ages 2 &9) got $100 for 10 days. However, we are from CA and do not go to WDW very often. For DL, they get $15- 20 a trip which can be 2-3 times a year.
Normally, we save change for their spending $.

Have Fun!!!

TheRustyScupper
08-05-2009, 03:56 PM
1) For our kids, and grandkids, we normally give
. . . $50 to start the trip
. . . $10 per day additional
2) This covers
. . . souvenirs
. . . snacks and junk food
. . . gifts they take home for friends