PDA

View Full Version : TOT Just how fast/rough is it?

DisneyHoneymooners
08-03-2009, 02:17 PM
Okay, We've been to the parks a lot but have always skipped TOT. We love roller coasters but have never ridden TOT for some reason. How fast does it drop and is it a rough(jerky) ride?

KAJUNKING
08-03-2009, 02:20 PM
its pretty fast but i don't find it rough at all, its pretty smooth, i don't think it jerks you around at all, but its been a year since Ive ridden it

#1donaldfan
08-03-2009, 02:21 PM
....it's a great ride and a GREAT pre show....the details are top notch.....

...the ride is kinda fast, no jerking, just a lot of drops n rises.....it's a fun ride, a must do...:thumbsup:

DizneyRox
08-03-2009, 02:25 PM
ToT gets a bad rap I think.

I don't mind roller coasters, flumes, etc. They are actualy a different feeling than ToT however. Fast, bumpy, etc do not really fit when talking about the drop(s) in ToT.

I didn't know what to think at first and was surprised at how much it was different than what I expected. It's not a sudden drop, it's a controlled drop so it's not like a gallows or something like that. It also comes to a "slow stop at the bottom before it goes back up. It's also mostly in the dark so you don't have a reference mostly to be able to tell what you're doing.

g8rgirl29
08-03-2009, 02:52 PM
This was DD's (4yo) favorite ride last year. We had to ride it over and over. The drops are pretty smooth, you come up out of your seat a little bit, but you are strapped in pretty good. I highly recommend it!!

MistressGracey
08-03-2009, 03:04 PM
Agreed. It's not the least bit rough or jerky. You experience "G"s as you drop and then ascend, but it's all very smooth...:thumbsup:

SallyMcQueen
08-03-2009, 03:16 PM
My most favorite ride!!! Last time we went it was my only "must do." From what I remember its very smooth, not jerky at all. I could ride it over and over.:number1:

RBrooksC
08-03-2009, 03:31 PM
It is smooth enough that I don't hold on when I ride it.

The "fall" is a controlled fall so it feels much different than the amusement park free-fall rides. But, it is faster than those rides. However, I think the the fun factor is raised due to the controlled access of it. It is like the hotel is in control of your elevator.

I rode it with a father and young daughter, she was about seven. She asked me if I knew about it and I told her what I could. I asked her how she liked it and she said she couldn't wait to ride it again.

jenny1976
08-03-2009, 03:37 PM
Go for it! Being paraplegic I really hate jerky rides due to my balance and back issues...not a prob in ToT, smooth ridding!!!!:number1:

BluewaterBrad
08-03-2009, 04:05 PM
I wouldnt call it rough, but fast up and down drops. Ride it!! You will love it!!:mickey:

Imagineer1981
08-03-2009, 05:09 PM
Its a completely different feel then a rollercoaster, not jerks or bumps. Its a very smooth feeling and not at all rough. As everyone said, its a lot of fun and more of a head rush then anything

jillluvsdisney
08-03-2009, 06:14 PM
I don't enjot RnR coaster or BTMRR anymore. Both are too jerky and my body actually hurts when the ride is over, not to mention my neck

ToT is another aninal. Very smooth. Loved it. I wish I hadn't avoided it for 8 years before I got the nerve to ride it.

Belster
08-03-2009, 06:20 PM
In my po it is not jerky at all....if you go on SM and RNR you can go on this...that is unless you wont like the drop. My 4 year old went on it several times in a row and loved it!!!

coneygoil
08-03-2009, 06:31 PM
It's fast, but smooth.It also drops multiple times, which wasn't how it originally was. I rode it when it opened in '94 and it was just one drop then Disney changed it a few years after that. It's a fun ride. Most of the cast members that work there ham it up by acting all spooky. Really helps set the mood. If you do ride it, take your feet like a couple inches off the floor. You'll lift out of your seat more than you would holding on.

iheartdisney
08-03-2009, 07:59 PM
I enjoy the Disney roller coasters and ToT I only enjoyed because of all of the detail, story line and pre-show. But this past trip it edged out my favorite ride, RRC because it was so smooth. RRC knocked my head around so much this past trip that I had a headache for a few hours after. Maybe I was coming down with something, maybe I'm just getting old but ToT is my new fav!

Jodi
08-03-2009, 08:00 PM
I must admit, I do not like the drops, especially first thing in the morning. Absolutely love rockin' roller coaster though. DH and DD's head to TOT right away and ride it about 3-4 times while I head to rnr to get fastpasses. I meet them outside TOT when they are done.

disneykid@hrt
08-03-2009, 08:58 PM
TOT is a must-do. Some of the best in Disney Imagineering. You wont regret it.

ransam
08-04-2009, 01:01 AM
it's very smooth..but it does drop a few times...if you love rollercoasters you'll love this...

garymacd
08-04-2009, 11:52 AM
I don't think it is as bad/scary as it used to be. Either that or I am just more accustomed to it now. It used to drop you all the way to the bottom and lift you all the way to the top and then drop you again.

Now it is completely random on the ups and downs including number and distance, but it is very smooth.

disneyboundagain
08-04-2009, 12:10 PM
Its smooth, I'll give it that. I rode it in '98, haven't rode since, and never will. Its DD's most favorite ride in the entire world. She's been going on it since she was 3, almost 4. My car accelerates at several times the acceleration of gravity, and I love that feeling. I just don't like this ride. I guess its just a control thing.

antngoof89
08-04-2009, 12:43 PM
TOT is a must-do. Some of the best in Disney Imagineering. You wont regret it.

Agreed, the storyline and the CM are what makes the ride. The more you let yourself get into the ride, the more fun it is. I even spooked myself out a bit because I got so into the ride, and I've been on this thing several times!

bruin1344
08-04-2009, 01:14 PM
its a great ride and is the most thrilling in WDW, not jerky at all, I never feel any nausea or any disorientation after going on it

Brownie54
08-05-2009, 10:36 AM
It's as smooth as jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge....um, without the impact.:D

It'sWDW4me
08-05-2009, 11:08 AM
Let me start by saying that I get motion sick. Can't possibly do Dumbo; wanted to :ack: when I went on those rockets ouside of Buzz Lightyear; I love BTMR but some of the hills and twists get my stomach tied up. Because of this, I avoided ToT like the plague.

Well last year I finally decided that I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. If I lost my lunch, well, it wouldn't be the first time, it definitely wouldn't kill me, and I just would never do ToT again.

With all that said - this is now one of my favorite rides. VERY smooth, no jerky "hitting bottom" feeling and just fantastic!

grumpyguy
08-05-2009, 11:16 AM
refer to my avatar.tot rules period:thumbsup:
smmmooooth baby smmooooth..............
must do multiple times when visiting my wdw!!
just do it!!!!!
bow to the mighty tower:mickey:

alicia524luvstw
08-05-2009, 11:23 AM
:ill: I'm trying to work up the courage to try it again but I haven't been on since my first trip. Of course my 12DS teases me

jnfr2424
08-05-2009, 11:30 AM
This is my 84 year old DM fave ride!
She hates Space Mtn but LOVES ToT!
Everyone is right the storyline is Disney's best
I am amazed everytime I get on this ride
Don't miss it!

vws_and_disney
08-06-2009, 04:13 PM
it is a very smooth ride for the type of ride it is. and i know this is beating a dead horse but the story and detail are amazing

JavaDuck
08-07-2009, 12:46 AM
TOT is probably my most favorite ride in WDW. The ride is very smooth. The scariest part I think for most people is the spooky theme, the ride is pretty much in the dark, and the drop sequence is random. The scariest part is right before the 1st drop, there is that pause. You know what is coming, but not sure exactly when.

It is one ride that I ride multiple times when I am in WDW.

garymacd
08-07-2009, 10:28 AM
TOT is probably my most favorite ride in WDW. The ride is very smooth. The scariest part I think for most people is the spooky theme, the ride is pretty much in the dark, and the drop sequence is random. The scariest part is right before the 1st drop, there is that pause. You know what is coming, but not sure exactly when.

It is one ride that I ride multiple times when I am in WDW.

How about that slide out of the lift into the dark and into the drop zone? And then that shudder just before the drop? Classic.

Lakin
08-07-2009, 01:53 PM
You have got to do it - it's not jerky. Even my mom who complains about how jerky BTMR is gives TOT props for it's smoothness.