PDA

View Full Version : Assateague/Chincoteague

TwoTinyWings
08-01-2009, 10:52 AM
We're thinking about an overnight trip to Assateague Island and/or Chincoteague Island. Anyone have any suggestions about a nice, inexpensive place to stay that is nearby? In general, we tend to prefer hotels to inns and B&Bs, and we don't camp, so camping on the beach is out. Also, if anyone can give me more info about facilities at the beaches (bathrooms, changing rooms, etc.), that would be extremely helpful, as we have two small children. :) Thanks!

RenDuran
08-01-2009, 11:27 AM
We like the Refuge Inn in Chincoteague.

Emsparents
08-01-2009, 11:36 AM
We went to Chincoteague for our daughters spring break this year in April. The place is absolutley beautiful! The wildlife is amazing, with the ponies, birds, and the scenery. On Assateague the only things there are the Fish and Wildlife visitor center which is great and a must stop, lots of good info, short movies about the island, and maps and information on where to go and what to do. The other facility is run by the National park service and is actually at the beach. Again good info on the beach, trails, and wildlife. Both facilities have restrooms, however the Fish and Wildlife Center is the only place on Assateague with "real" bathrooms, everything else is porta potty. The beach is amazing and when we were there it was practically vacant. There were times when we could look up and down the beach and see no one. However it was cold and we could not get in the water. I don't know when you are planning on visiting, the summer is more crowded especially weekends due to traffic from New Jersey, Maryland, and Delaware. The weekends are busy in the off season but the weekdays are great! As far as accomodations we stayed at the Blue Heron Inn but I would not recommend it. Across the road is a Best Western that looks REALLY nice and is the closest to the bridge across to Assateague. As far as eating there are some really pricey places, we recommend Maria's and Mr. Baldies, they are both local eateries. The ambiance is not the greatest but the food is AWESOME and the price is right! You also have to try Island Creamery for ice cream. It is hand dipped and the flavors are more than Baskin Robins! I recommend birthday cake flavor! There are lots of neat shops and things in the mainstreet area and down the lane to Assateague. But seeing the beach, wildlife, and natural beauty is the best. We hope you enjoy it!!

Tinkermom
08-02-2009, 10:11 PM
My parents and my brother live on Chincoteague. I think the best hotel on the island is the Hampton Inn. DH and I stayed there a few nights (while our kids stayed with my mom and dad ;) )and it was just wonderful. It is right on the bay. The rooms are large and very clean. It is very family friendly and they have a free full breakfast every morning. They also have an indoor pool. The staff was very friendly and helpful as well.

Another great restaurant is Bill's on Mainstreet.

Be sure to visit the Kite Koop - my brother is the manager - tell him Lisa sent you! :)

TwoTinyWings
08-07-2009, 08:52 PM
Thanks, guys! Some great suggestions!

I knew I could count on some fellow Intercotees for sage advice. :thumbsup:

Mousefever
09-08-2009, 12:36 AM
Make sure you eat some drum fish while you're there! (Unless you've already gone.) It's the yummiest fish I've ever had!

Amy