PDA

View Full Version : Which Wheelchairs?

Mrs Bus Driver
07-31-2009, 10:09 PM
Hi all it has been a while since I posted. I would really like your recommendations for wheelchair rentals. On our upcoming trip both DH and DD's BF will need to use wheelchairs at least part of the time. DD's BF will need to be able to take his to the room, so I figure we will do both rentals the same. But which company do I rent from. What experiences have you had? Thanks in advance :mickey:

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-31-2009, 10:37 PM
We rented my Mom an ECV from Buena Vista Scooters and was pleased with the experience.

They had the ECV waiting at the resort when we checked-in, and we had no issues with it for the whole trip. We charged the battery at night, and it lasted all day without issue. They do rent wheelchairs (both power and push).

When we left, we left the ECV at bell services, and they picked it up. Again, no issues.

It was much cheaper than renting from Disney, and she got to use it as the resort, which she needed.

I don't know if you want a wheelchair, or an ECV. Although the ECV is more expensive, it gives them much more freedom as well, since it doesn't need to be pushed.

disneymom15
08-01-2009, 10:03 AM
When we were there in 04, my mother and MIL, both needed wheel chairs. We stayed at ASMusic and the resort gave us 2 chairs to use free of charge for the entire trip. Each resort has several chairs on hand and if they run out they will transfer one from another resort. Hope this helps.

Mrs Bus Driver
08-01-2009, 12:33 PM
I have never heard of free chairs at the resorts. My concern is that DD's BF may need to use it to go to the bus in the morning. I would prefer to have both chairs on hand in the rooms, just in case. When I go online there are several rental places to choose from and I would like to know what companies do other intercotees recommend/use? I don't mean to sound picky but both DH and BF have medical conditions that may require the use of a chair all day. Thanks for your help :mickey:

peemagg
08-02-2009, 10:42 PM
Two companies besides the one recommended already is Walker's and Randy's. I would google them.

ransam
08-03-2009, 01:36 PM
i heard about the free wheelchairs...i wanted one for my mom...i called the pop century hotel and the lady told me that you could only use the chairs at the hotel itself, and just to transfer to and from your room....but others have told me you get them for the entire trip...

peemagg
08-03-2009, 05:24 PM
Ransam,

The person you talked to is correct. They are meant for around the resort only, but people do take them to the parks.

ElenitaB
08-03-2009, 06:05 PM
Things may have changed since we used a resort-loaner wheelchair in 2002, but we were encouraged to use it throughout the Disney World Resort (which includes the parks), not just our hotel resort.

I would also recommend CARE. I've used them twice or three times in the past and their equipment was clean and in good working order. I'm not sure about now, but at one point Walker and CARE were recommended by Disney.

Sylvia
08-04-2009, 12:29 AM
It sounds as if their policy has changed, but we were able to borrow a wheelchair from our resort (CBR) for use throughout WDW on several different trips. But these trips were over 8 years ago.

(Now that I think about it, I remember seeing Disney wheelchairs at the Orlando airport on occasion. I wonder if this is the reason for the change.)

We have also rented from CARE on several trips and were very pleased with their service. Each time, the wheelchair was waiting for us at our resort when we checked in - several times at CBR and once at SoG.

We did have a problem with the wheelchair on one trip which required a service call. They were prompt, the wheelchair was repaired and waiting for us at the time promised, and we were very pleased with their service.

PETE FROM NYC
08-12-2009, 03:04 PM
Last night, I just booked an ECV for myself from Apple Scooters.Much cheaper than the other places.
Same deal: free pick up and delivery at your resort, all for 30% less $$$.