PDA

View Full Version : Disney with a cast

disneyboundagain
07-31-2009, 05:23 PM
DD5 just had her full arm cast removed today and a much smaller one put back on. The new cast covers her wrist and 2/3 up to her elbow. We are planning a long weeking in DW in late August, and she is scheduled to have the cast removed a couple of days before we leave. If the doctor would happen to determine that the cast isn't ready to come off yet, will she be restricted from riding any of the rides? Not by the doctor, but by the CMs. She would be devastated if we went to DW and she couldn't ride many rides.

Mickey'sGirl
07-31-2009, 06:07 PM
This was our world last year! DS4-at-the-time had his cast removed the day before we flew out to LA to visit Disneyland.

We found that his elbow had atrophied some, and he was perhaps more cautious than he would be normally -- but other than that, he rode anything and everything (including the earthquake at the Golden Horseshoe, but that's another story!).

I am sure that your daughter will be fine, and the excitement from being there will offset any anxieties she might have. Perhaps take her sling with you (we did), so that she can rest her arm if she gets tired out.

I hope you have a fabulous trip!! :mickey:

I meant to add -- that we advised the doctor that we were flying out to DL, and he determined that any swimming DS would do in conjuction with our trip would be better than keeping the cast on for another week. He said at this age, bones don't usually break outright -- but they splinter in much the same way as a live tree branch just splits but doesn't snap, so recovery is pretty quick. Just keep your doctor in the loop! :pixie: for your brave little girl!

KLD
08-01-2009, 01:46 PM
If your daughter still has her cast on, it should not restrict her at all. We went to WDW in November with my son in a spica cast (basically a body cast with some bends so he could sit). He was allowed on every ride he could fit on safely. So if they allowed him, I don't see why they would not allow a small arm cast.

Hope you have fun!

hubbyofadisneyholic
08-01-2009, 11:04 PM
I think your biggest problem will be with other guests.
MY wife had shoulder surgery in March and was still in a large, hard to miss sling when we went in June. She was repeatedly bumped and whacked in the shoulder by people that were totally oblivious. At EPCOT a woman hit her with a backpack so hard it brought tears to my wife's eyes. The woman looked at her, looked at the sling and just walked away, without so much as an insincere apology. My wife was in so much pain she ended up going to the First-Aid station for an ice pack and some ibuprofen.

Have fun...but definitely watch out for clueless people. ;)

Georgesgirl1
08-02-2009, 07:35 AM
I have been to WDW with a cast on my hand/ wrist several times and never had a problem. The only thing I was unable to do was the Segway tour on my honeymoon :-(. There should be no restrictions for your daughter. Have fun!

disneyboundagain
08-02-2009, 08:21 AM
Thanks for all the responses. Booked the reservation yesterday:number1::number1: