PDA

View Full Version : Some good Podcasts

RBrooksC
07-31-2009, 11:31 AM
For those who are looking for some good podcasts, here are some that I really enjoy.

While I have a slew of Disney Podcasts, I am sure many of you have the same. So I won't go into those.

But if you want to take a break from listen to people talk about Disney Ad Nauseum, here are some that I enjoy that some of you may enjoy also.

They are as follows:

Adam Corolla Podcast. Boy, this has to be one of the best I have. He has perfected the art of the long form interview. It is funny, interesting and never boring. It is about an hour long. It is also a daily podcast. It does contain explicit language.

The Radio Chick. I discovered her show when I would visit NY. She was on WNEW at that time. Then I would listen to her on Sirius and now she and her radio partner Butch, produce her show. It is also a daily show and an hour long. It can contain explicit language.

The Daily Breakfast with Fr. Roderick. Yes, I know some of you are thinking, Fr. Roderick? Religion? And Catholic Religion to boot? Well, yes, it is. But it also a very well produced, interesting and non-preachy show. While he does talk religion (he is a priest, of course), he isn't fire and brimstone. He also isn't judgmental. But what is great is he talks about technology, TV shows, movies, video games, The Simpsons, plus other pop culture references. He spent one show talking about his troubles getting his iPhone the day it was released in the Netherlands. Oh, did I mention he is a Dutch priest? To be honest, he speaks English better than most Americans. It is a daily show and it is about thirty minutes long.

If you want a video podcast, try The Rest of Everest. Interesting concept for this one. The filmmaker created a film called The Other Side of Everest. It was a chronicle of one of the youngest men to ever climb the mountain. The film was 80 minutes long. The filmmaker realized that he filmed over 80 hours. So, he used about one minute of footage for each hour filmed. It was a shame to not air it so he decided to release it as a video podcast. Each show is about thirty minutes long. It consists of almost the raw footage filmed with the people featured doing what could be called a director's commentary. It is really enjoyable and if you can stand watching it on the small screen it is worth your while.

TikiGoddess
07-31-2009, 11:48 AM
My favorite non-Disney podcasts to listen to are:
This American Life -- same as the radio show on NPR. Stories about... ordinary and extraordinary lives. Comes out on Monday every week.

Radio Lab -- science questions broken down into plain language for ordinary folk. :) They've had some fascinating shows on all sorts of topics. It comes out once a month or so. I highly recommend it!

Kathy

MNNHFLTX
07-31-2009, 12:47 PM
I'm into several of the NPR podcasts--"This American Life" (the same one Kathy mentioned), "The News From Lake Wobegon" and "Wait, Wait--Don't Tell Me" (pseudo-quiz show on the news of the week, with a celebrity panel and call-in contestants--it's so funny!!)

GAN
07-31-2009, 02:04 PM
Agreed..."This American Life" -- Phenomenal

Also, I catch "Stuff you Should Know" -- 20mins, some interesting topics covered

ElenitaB
07-31-2009, 08:58 PM
This American Life is one of my favorites too.

Another podcast I like is Grammar Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing (seriously! They're quick —no more than 5 minutes— and sometimes even funny). I guess being a former English Comp teacher takes a toll, huh? :blush:

sportsguy2315
08-03-2009, 10:01 AM
The list of non-Disney podcasts I subscribe to (via iTunes):

Prime Time Sports. It's a sports talk show based out of Toronto and broadcast nationwide across Canada. Host Bob McCown is one of the most intelligent and respectable hosts in North America. He doesn't hold anything back, which is nice considering the many biases that American broadcasters have.
Dave Ramsey Show. The financial advice people need to know spoken simply so everyone can understand it.
Clark Howard. He's a great public service.

threeh
08-08-2009, 01:15 PM
I love planet money by NPR, explains the economy so well. I am going to have to check out grammar girl, thanks for that tip!!
I also love The Moth, they are short stories, quick and enjoyable stories on the way to work!!