PDA

View Full Version : Room w/ the In-Laws

DreamFinder2
07-31-2009, 10:14 AM
My DW and I are planning a trip in June '10 and will be taking her parents along. They've never been to WDW, so we want the trip to be comfortable for them, but we do have a budget.

Ideally, our room would have two sleeping areas. We've looked at FW cabins, and have thought about WL Villas. Are there other options we should consider? Suites are fair game, but we can't go too crazy w/ the price.

Any suggestions or previous experiences are appreciated!

SurferStitch
07-31-2009, 10:22 AM
Perhaps you could rent points from someone at Saratoga Springs or a similar resort. We've never done it, but from what I've read, you can get one of those suites for about half the price paying per point than if you just booked the suite outright.

DreamFinder2
07-31-2009, 10:33 AM
I did think about renting DVC points, too.

Anyone with experience in this area...feel free to post.

grumpypima
07-31-2009, 12:00 PM
Ideally, our room would have two sleeping areas. We've looked at FW cabins, and have thought about WL Villas.

I know ideally your room would be a suite; but have you considered two rooms at a moderate resort? If it were me, I would go with two rooms at CSR.

civilmousefan
07-31-2009, 12:28 PM
I have previously booked three rooms at Movies for a family trip that included 5 adults. The advantages of doing this were we had the privacy we all needed, 6 beds and 3 bathrooms. With discounts available at the time it was much more econimical than what other family members were booking for single rooms at deluxes. In addition, a person could come and go without disturbing persons in other rooms. This worked out great for us.

BPATSMouse
07-31-2009, 03:51 PM
I agree with civilmousefan on getting 2 rooms. We have gone twice with inlaws and got adjoining rooms(Pop Century). The extra bathroom is a PLUS++++++++++++++

MonoMan
07-31-2009, 04:30 PM
We typically have "grandma" with us on our trips and our preference is a one bedroom villa. It also privacy when sleeping, a good size common area during the day, plus a washer and a dryer.
I'm not sure how many total people would be in your party and since you're working with a budget I would book with Magical Journeys and let them help you determine what is the most economical way to go. I know there are also Junior Suites at the WL which could be an option. I have also noticed several recent promotions that specifically mention OKW and SSR for a discounted price over some of the other villas.

OogieBoogieMan
07-31-2009, 06:36 PM
Renting DVC points is a huge bargain in my opinion but you need to understand that the seller holds all of the power. Right until you check in they can cancel the reservation so you want to deal with someone reputable. Ideally if you can find a friend or a friend of a friend willing to rent to you it eliminates that aspect. The going rate these days seems to be around $10 a point and you just can't approach a room at that rate via Disney. You can track down sources through Google easily enough. I would suggest that you look at the points needed, do the math and then do a little research. Even a one bedroom will give you some needed space.

Goes4FastPass
08-01-2009, 08:04 PM
A family suite at ASMusic would give you enough room, a seperate area where you put the inlaws and 2 full baths - for a very reasonable rate. Booke early, family suites sell out early.

poohbearkris
08-02-2009, 11:02 AM
Last year we vacationed with our parents and stayed at CBR. We requested rooms next to each other and got that. You can also request rooms with an adjoining door. I have stayed at POFQ and CBR and will be stayin in POR this year. Of the two I stayed in previously I and my mother preferred POFQ. It is much smaller and easier to get to everything if your in-laws are older and don't want to walk as much. You also have the benefit of the boat to DTD. But from a different opinion, DH and DS loved CBR because every evening they went and played in the sand while I put younger DS to bed. I have not stayed at any of the other resorts recently to offer an opinion.

Disney Doll
08-02-2009, 05:24 PM
We've done two WDW trips with grandparents in the last few years. Both times we got adjoining rooms at one of the moderates. You could also do that at a value if you need to save money. It's nice to be able to open the common door and go back and forth between the rooms, but it's also nice to have two seperate rooms and the ability to lock them off when we need to. We also did a larger family trip and rented an off site vacation home. That was a nice option because everyone had the privacy of their own room, but we also had all the common space. My parents recently bought into DVC so we are trying a 2 br villa for the 1st time next month.

florida girl
08-03-2009, 08:26 AM
My fist choice in your situation would be a DVC resort and renting points is a great way to go. In a 1 bedroom you would have a full kitchen and washer/dryer which is a huge bonus and can save you money by making a couple of meals there. We have also stayed at the All Star suites and it was nice to have the 2 full bathrooms but I don't think the pull out beds were as comfy as the pull outs in the DVC rooms. It was something I would consider again though. Like someone else posted, do an internet search and go from there if you want to rent points. there are some great sites out there for renting.

johnO
08-03-2009, 01:04 PM
We end up getting two rooms at a value when space is an issue.