PDA

View Full Version : Alaskan Cruise - Day 9

Cinderelley
07-30-2009, 10:07 PM
Cruising Hubbard Glacier

I awoke to the sight of Hubbard Glacier off my balcony. The kids didn't want to get out of bed to see it. DH was already out of the room somewhere. The captain come on overhead and told everyone to clap and cheer while he blew the horn to see if the glacier would start calving.

I watched the calving from my balcony until the captain turned the ship around. Then I went out on deck and watched a little more. The ship's photographer came by and took a pic of me with the glacier in the background. It was really cold.

As we started to turn the ship around, the captain was talking about the icebergs and how you only see 10% above the water. The area seemed so serene it was very deceiving. It was pretty cool to look at them, but it made me think of the people on the Titanic - going about their festivities and never suspecting they were about to die. I wasn't scared, but it was a little saddening.

I hit the Windjammer for brunch and ran into Mom, who was trying to finish her book since it was the last day of the cruise. Afterwards, I ran into Tom in the room. It was really foggy outside. It added to the sinisterness (I know I just made up that word) of the icebergs. I don't know if there were still icebergs around us by that time, but the thought added to the aura. We had occassionally had fog while we were cruising, but it lasted a long time today. I had heard of people becoming depressed in Seattle due to the lack of sunlight, but living in the desert made it impossible for me to imagine that. Imagining the lack of sunlight like that on a day to day basis made me understand it more.

Tom and I had an appointment at the spa for the "Spa Sampler". He was trying 5 things. I was trying 7 - everything from a massage to a bronzing make over. We spent the next several hours relaxing and being pampered. It was a little uncomfortable at first, because they did it in the hair salon instead of the spa. I'm used to being pampered in a private room. Eventually, I did relax, and Tom must have too because he fell asleep. His therapist let him sleep in his chair until I was done. By the time we were dressed and paid, it was time for dinner. We were all a little sad since it was our last dinner with Norbert and Leticia. We got our picture taken with them and gave them an extra tip. We also gave them rave reviews to their boss who came by. I can't say enough about the great service they gave us - from making sure our glasses were always full to teaching my son how to pull the meat out of his seafood.

After dinner, we went back to the rooms and did the huge chore of packing all of our stuff up. The kids ran off to their last night of teen fun. After the packing was done and the luggage was out by the door, Tom and I hit the jacuzzi in the Solarium. I had been in a couple of times during the week, but this night I got grossed out. While we were sitting there, a lady came with her regular clothes on and then her husband got in and sat down next to me with his shoes on. He was quite inebriated. After my initial shock, I quickly got out and his friend sat down and took my spot at which point the guy proceeded to take his shoes off. :sick: These weren't neat and clean flip flops. They were filthy, worn out tennis shoes.
When I went back into the Solarium to find Tom after changing, he and his friend were sitting in one of the lounge chairs, watching me and laughing while I passed by. Luckily, Tom found me then before I was tossed off the ship as an unruly passenger. I was having visions of tossing His Drunkenness in the pool. Sometimes Kung Fu training isn't a good thing when you have a temper as quick as mine.
We went back to our room and listened to the music from the Centrum while relaxing on the balcony and then turned into bed. I was anticipating a long debarking process the next morning.

crazypoohbear
08-03-2009, 06:02 PM
Sounds like you had a great cruise with everyone enjoying themselves. Leaving is alway sad. getting back to reality really stinks!