PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had a microdiscectomy?

MNNHFLTX
07-30-2009, 06:33 PM
My husband is having this procedure done on Monday for a herniated disc at the L4-5 level that has been causing him to have sciatic pain for several months. I have had some experience in the past in taking care of discectomy patients in the hospital, but that was a good 5 or more years ago. Does anyone have a more recent experience they would be willing to share--post-op problems, recovery time, etc? He is having it done as same-day surgery by a neurosurgeon here in Houston. Obviously he has given us some information, but I guess I'm interested in real-life experiences.

Thanks. :)

PirateLover
07-30-2009, 11:43 PM
About two years ago my fiance had a disectomy done on his L5 and L3 herniated discs. I'm not sure if it was a microdisectomy (it might be the same thing but I'm not sure). It was same day surgery.

The first few days, he felt like he got hit by a bus, but the medication helped him sleep and he got through it. After that he was feeling better every day, and after a week most of his pain was gone although there was still discomfort. The sciatic pain completely went away but his nerve damage left some numbness in his left foot that is still around to this day, but not really bothersome.

After a month he was "Back to normal" but he still had to take it easy, and he did physical therapy and still is supposed to do stretches every day for his back. We went to Disney two months after the trip and was told that he could ride everything but Tower of Terror, Rollercoasters, ans spinning rides. Despite this he risked going on Tower of Terror just once and was fine. He is very happy that he had the surgery and says he would do it again in a heartbeat. I hope your DH has fantastic results!

MNNHFLTX
07-31-2009, 10:23 AM
Thanks for your response, Maryanne. That is exactly the type of information I am looking for. The doctors tell you the way the outcome "should" be, but not always the way it is. And you are the second person I have talked to about this that mentioned some residual numbness, so I just want to make my husband knows that might be a possibility.

ElenitaB
08-03-2009, 09:37 AM
:pixie: to your DH for his surgery today and for a quick recovery!

PirateLover
08-03-2009, 03:18 PM
Please let us know how it goes!

MNNHFLTX
08-05-2009, 09:53 AM
Well, he had the surgery Monday and it went okay. But he had blood pressure issues afterward and ended spend a couple of nights there. It's looking pretty good that he'll be coming home today.

Thankfully he's not that sore from the surgery itself and it seems to have relieved the sciatic pain he was having in his leg.

Melanie
08-05-2009, 10:19 PM
Thankfully he's not that sore from the surgery itself and it seems to have relieved the sciatic pain he was having in his leg.

:thumbsup:

PirateLover
08-05-2009, 11:52 PM
Glad to hear he's coming home and that the sciatic pain is gone. I forgot to mention that my fiancee was only 24 when he underwent the surgery so they said his youth would contribute to his resiliency afterward. Best of luck for your husband's recovery!