PDA

View Full Version : Online Check-in

poohbearkris
07-30-2009, 12:05 PM
Hi, I was just reading about the online check-in and was wondering what people's experience had been with it. We will be staying at POR in Alligator Bayou and need to request a ground floor room close to a bus stop as my mom has had double knee replacements and we need to try to minimize her walking, especially on the stairs. Is there a section to add in your room request, or is it still better to fax it in a few days before hand?

TheRustyScupper
07-30-2009, 12:44 PM
1) There is no space for requests.
2) Faxes to POR/POFQ are not considered, and are tossed. *
3) Just call and put the request on your ressie.

* This is not nasty, just practical. Most WDW resorts no longer look at faxed requests. WL was the first resort to throw out fax requests, then others soon followed. Due to the INTERNET, they got inundated with paper. The room assigners ("ROOMS") didn't have enough time to read faxes and do their job. After all, there can be up to 500-700 rooms to assign in a single day, and that is a lot of work for the jigsaw puzzle of fitting rooms into a schedule.

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-30-2009, 01:02 PM
Is your Mom going to be walking around the park, or using an ECV during her trip? Since there aren't elevators in the AB section of POR, if she will have a wheelchair or ECV at the resort, be sure to let them know if you need either the ground floor room, or a room with an elevator!

MNNHFLTX
07-30-2009, 03:11 PM
You might want to check out a recent thread/poll:

Online check-in. Yay or nay? (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=157054&highlight=online+check-in)

poohbearkris
07-30-2009, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the input. I am not sure if we will do it or not, but we will definitely call before we leave to verify a room request. Thanks.

stitchcousin
07-31-2009, 04:24 PM
:(Am really bummed out!!! I just learned I can't use online system because I booked thru a travel agent. Was told by Disney that my travel agent would have to do it (and she is on vacation right now)...so I guess Disney is trying to get away from having people use travel agents to book?:(

TheRustyScupper
07-31-2009, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the input. I am not sure if we will do it or not, but we will definitely call before we leave to verify a room request. Thanks.

1) You can call anytime to verify what is on the ressie.
2) However, you can't call the hotel.
3) If you dial the hotel, you get the Call Center.
4) They answer like they were the hotel, but they are not.

NOTE: Even when you are in your room, if you dial "O" or the Front Desk, you get the Call Center.

DisneyFr33k
07-31-2009, 05:22 PM
Ok, I've made it through the online ADR system, now I need more education on the online check in system for resorts.

We're staying at POP in October and will be arriving around 10:30-11am.

What are the advantages/disadvantages for checking in online early?

What are the advantages/disadvantages for waiting to check in in person?

We've requested a top floor room not facing a pool. Can I do this online? Also, if I check in online, where do I go to get my keys to the world cards/room keys and how will I know which room I am assigned?

I understand the move towards technology, but maybe my age is showing. Sometimes face to face human interaction is more comfortable.

Thanks for any advice you have.

TammiMcMan
07-31-2009, 05:36 PM
What are the advantages/disadvantages for checking in online early? Advantage = shorter check-in line when you arrive at the resort, speedier registration because your packet is complete. Have not heard of any disadvantages yet. You still talk to a person when you arrive, it's just a different, faster moving line.

What are the advantages/disadvantages for waiting to check in in person?If you have a lot of questions, then you'll want to stick with regular check-in. Depending on when you arrive, the standard line could be quite long.

We've requested a top floor room not facing a pool. Can I do this online?No, you still have to specify requests with your TA or calling the CRO.

Also, if I check in online, where do I go to get my keys to the world cards/room keys and how will I know which room I am assigned?As I mentioned above, it's just a different line that you get into. There is still a CM to greet you and they'll hand you your welcome packet, KTTW and everything else you need. There is still human interaction, but it's geared towards those guest who know the drill and just want to grab their stuff and go.

KatrinaJ91
07-31-2009, 10:13 PM
We did the on-line checkin for POR and got everything we asked for. When I made the res. I had asked for Alligator Bayou and either building 14 or 15. When I did the online check-in, I requested a fridge. They even asked when we would be arriving. We got there at noon and went straight to the online check-in desk with no line. Not only was our packet ready, our room was ready as well! We were put in Bldg 15 with a fridge and were able to go straight to our room at NOON! It was great!

DisneyFr33k
08-01-2009, 07:31 AM
:(Am really bummed out!!! I just learned I can't use online system because I booked thru a travel agent. Was told by Disney that my travel agent would have to do it (and she is on vacation right now)...so I guess Disney is trying to get away from having people use travel agents to book?:(

Thanks TammiMcMan for you response above.
However, if what stichcousin says above it true, I can't check in online as I booked through AAA.

We've always traveled in late Oct/early Nov and never have had too bad of a line to wait in. With the online option there, maybe it will make the lines even shorter!

Thanks for all your advice!

TammiMcMan
08-01-2009, 09:44 AM
Thanks TammiMcMan for you response above.
However, if what stichcousin says above it true, I can't check in online as I booked through AAA.I'm not sure who told them that, but it's wrong. If you use a TA, you can still check in online, you just have to use a different link http://www.mydisneyreservation.com/guest .

The restrictions Disney has with TA's is that they technically "own" your reservation, so you aren't allowed to call and personally try to make any changes. You have to use the TA for that. Online check in is different though and you just have to use the other link and not the one provided on the Disney website.

poohbearkris
08-01-2009, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the info. I also booked through a travel agent and had heard about the separate website. I think we will try it. Spending an extra 10 minutes at home is better then spending the extra time in line or at the counter when at WDW. Thanks.

DisneyFr33k
08-01-2009, 07:37 PM
I'm not sure who told them that, but it's wrong. If you use a TA, you can still check in online, you just have to use a different link http://www.mydisneyreservation.com/guest .

The restrictions Disney has with TA's is that they technically "own" your reservation, so you aren't allowed to call and personally try to make any changes. You have to use the TA for that. Online check in is different though and you just have to use the other link and not the one provided on the Disney website.

Thanks! My only concern is if I have a problem with our room assignment. If I check in online before arriving, can we still contest what room we are given?

TammiMcMan
08-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Thanks! My only concern is if I have a problem with our room assignment. If I check in online before arriving, can we still contest what room we are given?I'm not sure what you mean by "contest" :confused: . You can request something specific and they usually do try to give you at least one of your requests, but nothing is guaranteed. Even with online check-in though, you can ask them to look up available inventory. What they have left is going to depend greatly on what time you are arriving at the resort. Earliest check-in means more options.

LudwigVonDrake
08-02-2009, 11:26 AM
I did the online check in for my trip 7/8 -7/17. I was line for less than five minutes when I arrived. I got to POFQ around 10:15am and my room was ready (HUGE BONUS that I'm sure had nothing to do with the online check in). I would probably do it again.

There are no spots for specific requests on the online check in. You should do that when you call for the reservation :wave:

stitchcousin
08-03-2009, 06:24 PM
TammiMcMan , thanks for the clear-up. I will try to do the online check-in this week. I was told twice that I wouldn't be able to check in online (1st when I called Disney reservations because I was unable to view my reservation online. I called them and they said that I couldn't view nor could I check in online because I booked through a TA....then, just to see if I got a different answer... I wrote an email to disney about it, and I was told the same thing....). Not one of them ever told me that I could check in online!!! Thank goodness you know the scoop!!! Am excited now!!!:thumbsup: