PDA

View Full Version : Contemporary

MichaelMouse
07-29-2009, 10:12 PM
FINALLY, after all these years of visiting the world I have not stayed in the Contemporary until now. Here is my experience breakdown:

Theme Park View: there is nothing like it anywhere else in the other resorts (poly/GF). Although I must say the Poly has a great view in the Hawaii building. Contemporary Excellent view.

All in All though, the service was not too impressive compared to the GF and Poly. Our room made seemed a bit annoyed when most guests on our floor were sleeping in late. Too bad for her. Roomservice was very limited on items for a late night snack. Personally, it had too much of an apartment building feel, I prefer a resort feel such as the Poly and GF.

The pool was a ghost town at night and quiet during the day, go figure. 90+ degrees outside.

The thing that bothered me the most though was the convention that was going on during my stay. Never mix business with pleasure. Too many dorks walking around with lanyards around their necks dressed in suits talking buisness. The last thing I want to hear on my time away from the office on my vacation is anything to do with the word business. I think it is about time the Contemporary puts an eatery in the convention ctr so the corporate people don't mix in with vacationers.

Overall I give the Contemporary a B-. I enjoyed my stay there mostly for the view and newer rooms, however I would definitley NOT choose the Contemporary over the Poly or GF.:mickey::mickey::mickey:

disneyboundagain
07-29-2009, 11:11 PM
Wow! After multiple trips we have never seen any suits. Sorry your stay wasn't more enjoyable.

beksy
07-30-2009, 12:28 AM
I'm so glad to hear about the view since we will be staying there in Dec/Jan and hopefully during that time there won't be many suits around! This is our first stay at the Contemporary (actually the first stay at a deluxe although by that time we will have stayed at the WL for a few days) so do you have any advice or "secrets" that would be helpful for 3 adults who are just big kids during our stay? Is there a certain area I should request in the tower? We have a theme park view but I didn't know enough to request a certain end of the building or anything like that. Thanks for any advice! :mickey:

wishiniwasthere
07-30-2009, 09:08 AM
We stayed at the Contemporary last year, and I totally agree with you. Overall, I felt there was no theming, and definitely an apartment feel. We too, encountered the business people. Another thing lacking to me is a food court. There was very little to choose from if you weren't sitting down at one of the restaurants. I'm not into cold, prepackaged sandwiches. :ack: It certainly will not be a place we will go back to.

buzz2001
07-30-2009, 09:15 AM
Wow, its the first time I read anything about convention people at a WDW resort other than CSR.

The convention groups have the option to have there events catered but its up to the group to decide whether or not to spend the extra money or leave the group on their own.

MichaelMouse
07-30-2009, 12:46 PM
As long as you have a theme park view, you will be fine. Obviously the higher you go, the better it will be. I was on the 7th floor which is not too high and still it was great. Also, I was on the end closer to the Wilderness lodge and still it was a great view. So No worries as long as you have a theme park view.

As for the food selections (breakfast and lunch), Yes I too agree it was very limited unless you got into Chef mickeys. Good luck though without reservations.

Once again though Contemporary, keep the business conventions separate, build an eatery in the convention ctr.

Gamblor33
07-30-2009, 12:53 PM
I've stayed at the Contemporary a few times and agree with everything you said. The theme park view is great though. I love how at night you can see the flash from the picture being taken on Splash Mountain.

MichaelMouse
07-30-2009, 12:53 PM
so do you have any advice or "secrets" that would be helpful for 3 adults who are just big kids during our stay? I

I enjoyed just relaxing one night and staying in my room on my balcony to watch the fireworks. After that we visited the other resorts (poly/GF).

Other then that, the Wave restaurant was nice but definitely try to get into the California Grill (top of the contemporary) for dinner during fireworks.

Chef Mickey's for breakfast, you will need a reservation, so book now. Book any restaurants 90 days out to avoid missing out.

JohnnyNovo
07-30-2009, 04:35 PM
Besky, try to stay at the opppsite end of Chef Mickey. We stayed there in April and it was nice. The only drawback was at 7a.m. they blast music which wakes everyone up at that end of the hotel. We were also traveling with a little one, so it may not be that big of a deal to you.

beksy
07-31-2009, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the info!

SBETigg
07-31-2009, 02:06 PM
Michael, that's a spot-on take of the Contemporary as I feel about it, too. The business hotel feel can really take away from your vacation relaxation.

I actually prefer the GF views, when you can get them. You're not as directly over the park, but you have a more relaxing view of the lagoon leading to the park and not parking areas around the lagoon, then park. The Contemporary is a great place to stay, not discouraging it, but I do prefer the Polynesian and the GF for relaxing vacation time at the resort. I love to dine at the California Grill and watch the fireworks there, and that's enough Contemporary per trip for me (besides some trips through on the monorail).

BrerGnat
08-02-2009, 05:50 PM
Your reasons for NOT liking the Contemporary are actually the reasons why I DO like it.

The "ghost town" pool? That's the way my family prefers it! I hate when a pool is crammed full of loud, crazy people, and so do my own kids. I like a LITTLE bit of peace and quiet, EVEN at WDW. ;)

The "suits"? Who cares? I just feel bad for THEM! I'd hate to be at WDW on business and not be able to be having fun, but I don't even give them a second glance. AGAIN, I am glad that they are just not loud and obnoxious. At least they don't cause a ruckus...

And I LOVED the Contempo Cafe. I thought the selections were excellent. Definitely NOT prepacked cold sandwiches...the poster who wrote that must have visited before the CC was fully opened and complete, when they were operating the Tempo Grab and Go. The CC is one of the better CS locations at the deluxe resort level, in my humble opinion. :secret: I'd go back to the Contemporay JUST to eat there.

wishiniwasthere
08-03-2009, 08:38 PM
And I LOVED the Contempo Cafe. I thought the selections were excellent. Definitely NOT prepacked cold sandwiches...the poster who wrote that must have visited before the CC was fully opened and complete, when they were operating the Tempo Grab and Go. The CC is one of the better CS locations at the deluxe resort level, in my humble opinion. :secret: I'd go back to the Contemporay JUST to eat there.[/QUOTE]

I guess I was there before that. We were there last September and the only place other than Chef Mickey's or one of the other restaurants was as you say a "Grab and Go." It was awful. There was basically a very limited choice available.

Simbajr4ever
08-04-2009, 11:01 AM
Great review and again feel [after many stays] it is dead on.:mickey:

dog-ears
08-04-2009, 11:15 PM
Good info! We too are staying at the Contemporary for the first time ever in Nov after visiting for years ... and looking forward to a resort with a different feel.

MNNHFLTX
08-06-2009, 10:23 AM
It was interesting reading your review. I really wanted to stay at the Contemporary on an upcoming visit to WDW with my son, and for all the obvious reasons--proximity to the Magic Kingdom, bigger rooms, a room overlooking the MK (which is the only I was considering), the monorail runs through it and because it was one of the original WDW hotels. But I was conflicted as I have heard varied reports on housekeeping at the Contemporary, as well as the fact that the feel of it is a lot like some of the other upscale resort chains out there that we've stayed at, and the theming might not be "different" enough. In the end, my son made the choice that he would rather stay at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, which was the other resort I was considering. Although I'm a bit disappointed that we won't be staying at the Contemporary, I know it was the right choice for this trip. And your review has cemented that even further. :)

DizNee143
08-06-2009, 03:59 PM
im so glad thats just your opinion and not a fact!
i absolutely LOVE it there!!! it was my dream resort since i was very little..and then finally at 25 for my honeymoon i got to stay there in the tower with a MK!! i was on cloud 9 the whole time..i couldnt be happier with my stay there!! i enjoyed every moment of it..and i hope and pray ill be able to stay there just one more time in my lifetime!! :mickey:

Mousemates
08-06-2009, 05:37 PM
im so glad thats just your opinion and not a fact!
i absolutely LOVE it there!!! it was my dream resort since i was very little....i couldnt be happier with my stay there!! i enjoyed every moment of it..and i hope and pray ill be able to stay there just one more time in my lifetime!! :mickey:

i concur with your more factual opinion (i.e. i agree with you ;))...I stayed their the first time in the 70s and again a couple years back...and its one of my favorites.

Morpheous
08-08-2009, 06:50 AM
Well, as far as Disney World goes I've only ever stayed at the Contemporary, but I have stayed at the Disneyland Hotel, and the Grand Californian. I honestly have to say that Contemporary is definitely my favorite out of all of them, even considering Grand Californian's warm theme. I've not even had a tower room (Well not yet, I do next week though! MK view.) I just love the overall design of the hotel, the business convention peoples don't really bother me I'm usually too excited to just be on vacation that I'm in a daze anyways.

I just love the fact the Monorail comes through the hotel its self, seems really cool to me. I miss the Concourse Steakhouse its a shame they replaced it with The Wave was one of my favorite places to eat in the resort. I haven't tried the Wave yet, and unfortunately I probably wont this year. Decided to try 'Ohana at the Poly instead, and Narcoossee's at the Grand Floridian.

Besides the new decorations for the rooms are quite unique. (The crazy Kholer sinks in the bathroom is a great example.) So it does have its own theme, its meant to look like a ultra-modern business type resort.

That's why they have so many resorts though.. to each their own. :D Personally I doubt my family will ever go to any other hotel but The Grand Floridian, Poly, or Contemporary. They hate buses and love the Monorail.

Princess Maggie
08-08-2009, 10:26 AM
I truly think that staying at the Contemporary is a love it or hate it affair. There are those who maybe visit for breakfest at Chef Mickeys :mickey:, or dinner at California Grill. There are those folks that are awwed at the monorail go through the hotel, or the views of the Magic Kingdom. But for my DH and I just as another poster stated, we love it for reason others hate it. We love empty pools, who wants to be bothered? And of course our favorite is being able to enjoy fireworks every night from the confort of our balcony, and not have to worry about fighting the crowds after the show.. I can't wait to go back !!

Darbylew
08-08-2009, 11:02 AM
I have never stayed there but did do the
Chef Mickey's breakfast. I think I would like the
moderate resorts better. I was glad to read all
the information from different ones about it.
I would not like the hotel feel. :mickey:
FIRST TRIP 1972
LAST TRIP MARCH 2009 :cool:
NEXT TRIP NOVEMBER 2009 :D
AND MANY TRIPS IN BETWEEN
REMEMBER IT ALL STARTED WITH A MOUSE!
:mickey::mickey:

jimsgal05
09-20-2009, 08:57 AM
I was just there this past week for the pirates and pals fireworks...at the contemporary...that was great but I has an allergic reaction to the mold..I am highly allergic to mold and must...welll where you check in to the hotla and the same floreas the pirates and pals gathering had mold somewhere beacuse I was in rough shape..and my medicalyion was at SAratoga springs...never needed there or anywhere else...

Friends just got back and they had issues with mousekeeping not giving them towles for 2 days after serval call to the front desk and house keeing....

I love the view but GF or poly I think I would go with....was there at them no issues...

that is all just wanted to pass info if ya have ashma or allergies to mold...becareful of Contemporary resort.

GrmGrninGost
09-20-2009, 04:08 PM
We stayed at the Contemporary last year for the first time (and hopefully NOT the last!)! We had avoided it for many years as it just didn't look all that friendly. We finally made the decision to try it and were not disappointed! It was nothing that we expected. The whole atmosphere was wonderful! We had a room directly above Chef Mickey's and across from the monorail station. It was amazing to walk out of our room each morning and look across at the monorails coming and going, then to look down and see Mickey and friends doing their thing at breakfast! I hate to admit it, but the Contemporary has moved near, if not to the top of my favorite resorts! I love the place! :mickey: