PDA

View Full Version : Considering Trip Dec 3-8, Crowds?

sgdisney
07-27-2009, 07:27 PM
OK, the free dining or discounted room has me very interested in trying to convince DH that this is the year we need to make our first Christmas trip to WDW. Plus Airtran just started flying out of our airport and I can now get a direct flight for only $108 per person. Airtran only flies through here on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, so in looking at the calendar my choice is to leave on Thursday, Dec 3 and return on Tuesday, Dec 8. Here's my question, with the Christmas Parade being taped in the MK that Friday and Saturday, what should the crowds be like? I don't really want to fight the crowds to even try to get to the Parade and would probably go to another park during that time, but does the taping of the parade make the overall crowds unbearable?

faline
07-27-2009, 07:29 PM
Crowds are very manageable at that time of year. I understand the taping makes it difficult to get by Main Street and, in fact, I've heard they had folks go "backstage" to get by Main Street. However, the rest of the park should be pretty easy to navigate.

Lakin
07-27-2009, 07:34 PM
I agree with Faline, the rest of the park should be manageable. I say, go for the trip.

ransam
07-28-2009, 02:21 AM
i think this is the BEST time to go...
no big crowds....christmas decorations are all up.....value season....
you'll love it.

SurferStitch
07-28-2009, 10:15 AM
It's a fabulous time to go!

We've gone during that time 3 times now ('03, '06, '07), and will be returning this year 12/3 - 12/12.

We've always had warm, sunny weather and low to moderate crowds (with 1 or 2 cool days thrown in there). The crowds don't start picking up significantly until around the 16th or so.

Go, and have a magical time!!! :santa3:

1goofyfamily
07-28-2009, 11:20 AM
we prefer to go in the beginning of Dec and we've been to MK during the taping (on accident - didn't know they were taping and couldn't figure out why people were lining up so early in the day for the parade) and Main St was the only congested part of the park. We'll be arriving on the 5th and hoping for some great weather!!

twinboyz
07-28-2009, 11:58 AM
I've been there during that time. The weather was good and the crowds were non-exsistant. We did have to sit down for the MK parade about an hour early. I'm sure that's because the parks close earlier during the winter months. FYI there was no free-dining.

LauraF
07-28-2009, 12:13 PM
I'll be there then, and I like to go that time normally. It's much quieter (not as much as it used to be, alas) but it's not packed either.

I did rearrange my trip to avoid MK on 12/4, but really, as long as you stay away from Main Street it's usually fine.

Enjoy your trip!

murphy1
07-28-2009, 12:29 PM
I think we're going to swing a trip Dec 9. You are going at a great time! Sometimes temps can get freezing at night, so just be prepared for cool to cold weather.

MissTink
07-28-2009, 09:52 PM
I did rearrange my trip to avoid MK on 12/4

They will be taping on 12/4!? Thats our last full day this trip and we ALWAYS spend the last day at MK. Do they have a schedule for the taping somewhere?

faline
07-29-2009, 11:56 AM
I understand that, last year, they taped on Decmeber 5th and December 6th. If they hold to the same pattern, it's likely this year's taping will take place on December 4th and 5th. I understand they used some of the backstage areas to move people into the park but around Main Street if folks were not interested in being part of the taping.

RockinRollerMom
07-29-2009, 12:28 PM
I have gone the past 2 years during this week and thought it was great. People are starting to catch on to this being a time to go though. I have to say that I would not have called the crowds light, and that this year was more crowded than the previous year. The year we went the last week of August the crowds were better. They were pretty similar to the crowds when we went the last week of April into the first week of May. PP's who suggested staying away from MK during taping days of the parade were right, it gets very crowded. It wasn't bad in the morning but by mid afternoon it was a zoo. Also you might want to look inot Pop Warner dates for this year. Even though they don't affect the park crowds that much it can really affect your resort stay if you are at a resort that Pop Warner is staying at.

All this being said, this is my favorite time of year to visit Disney. There are so many special events to take in. The Osborne Lights at DHS is a do not miss IMHO. The resorts are beautifully decorated and MVMCP is a blast.

rjmdds
08-04-2009, 01:22 PM
Can someone give me some info on this "taping"in the MK on possibly 1Dec. 3rd or 4th? What is involved and how does it affect crowds??

BIGDOG
08-04-2009, 02:53 PM
If they tape the parade what is it for a dvd or tv were is this parade shown on Christmas day? If so how can I get exact dates we are going to be there that week,,,