PDA

View Full Version : online reservations please read!

allentownguy
07-27-2009, 01:59 AM
hello all :mickey: i beg all the people that are the ones guilty of making "fantasy" reservations or making multiple reservations for the same night.

i spoke to Disney tonight and asked why we were having so much trouble making dining reservations for the popular and not popular restaurants on the dining plan (9pm was the earliest for a buffet) i was told that since the online system went online they have had nothing but problems. i was told the problem was the people making multiple and fantasy reservations and the system does not require a credit card except for a few restraunts. she said they are trying to fix this problem and she could not offer much help other them to keep trying to make your reservations and Disney it staff are trying figure something out.

so if your guilty please stop so others can enjoy the great food!

Marceline
07-27-2009, 02:33 AM
I was worried this sort of thing might happen. The system is so open that even folks with no intention or plans to visit Disney could clog the system for kicks or fantasy as you put it.

Perhaps requiring your resort reservation number would solve some problems.....or some sort of ticket identifier that proved you were indeed planning on being at WDW would help for those staying off-property.

There HAS to be a check and cancel policy for double-booking dining. Hording ADRs just so you can "keep your options open", that's just rude and shady. :mad:

I had no problems with calling to get ADR's. Online booking is obviously making it TOO easy and allows for lots of abuse.

I would hope it's not the conscientious, research minded folks that come to Intercot that are making the "fantasy" bookings. I have a feeling it would be uninformed people who don't understand that playing with the online booking system is taking opportunity away from others.

DisneyPrincess21
07-27-2009, 02:39 AM
I have a feeling it would be uninformed people who don't understand that playing with the online booking system is taking opportunity away from others.

It very well could be people not realizing they are taking up the ADR's other people need.

Think of when you want to book tickets at a concert or play and you look around to see what good seats are left, then it only holds the seats for you for about 7 minutes and then puts them back in the available section. People might think that when they are looking around at available ADR's that if they aren't actually going to use them, they never go back into a available section like tickets do.

Puppy Mom
07-27-2009, 03:46 AM
I think Disney REALLY blew it if they don't require at least a $20 deposit for each reservation. Come on, who couldn't see this problem coming a mile away?

That said, the bottom line is most likely the same as many problems. Selfish, inconsiderate people.

I find it hard to believe that people don't realize that making two reservations for the same time is hurting other people. I will bet dollars to donuts that most of the problem is people saying "Lets reserve both places and see what we feel like eating when we get there".

Gregandmel
07-27-2009, 06:47 AM
I'm sure it won't take too long before Disney starts implementing some sort of "guarantee" (like a deposit or something) so this doesn't get out of hand. We aren't going until next year, but I have wondered the same thing about how easy it is to get in there and click on what you want. Does it seriously not ask for a reservation #???? When you book over the phone I know you are asked for one. I played around in the dining section on the disneyworld website to see how it worked, but didn't go too deeply into it for fear I would do exactly what the poster said - making "fantasy reservations" without realizing it. I hope they work out the bugs soon. Making the ADR's is half the fun of planning a Disney trip!! :mickey:

DisneyFr33k
07-27-2009, 06:58 AM
Read my post on a thread below. I accidentally made my reservations twice as my computer had a problem as I tried to confirm my first ADR's. I did them a second time and then at 7am called Disney. I'm glad I did and the first ADR's (which I thought didn't go through) had indeed went through. She canceled the ones I didn't need. I asked her why it allowed me to book Ohana (such a popular restaurant) for 5:25 and 5:30 and what would happen if I hadn't called. She thought maybe someone would call me, but she didn't sound certain.

I just hope others will do the right thing and book only when you know you'll be there.

Itchy
07-27-2009, 07:58 AM
I am not sure if you are required to log on the Disney site with your confirmation number or not to get into the ADR site, but if you are not you should be. This would help to limit the " I wish " people.

Also if were tied to the confirmation number it could limit the number of ADR's to the nights of your stay.

That way with the old pick up and call system you would need to do some research before you started your selections.

18 days and counting to the happiest place in the world.:mickey:

Mickey'sGirl
07-27-2009, 08:39 AM
Not everyone making an ADR is staying at Disney, so not everyone will have a reservation number.

People who want to work the system will. Some of the guidebooks even recommend multiple ADR's as a vacation STRATEGY!

Thankfully, most people have some social responsibility and will limit their reservations to those they will actually use.

WDWCrazyKaren
07-27-2009, 08:49 AM
Thank you for starting this thread. Maybe a few folks out there who weren't aware that maybe they were holding a space they might not use will call and cancel. Being one of those folks who did not get the ADR's we wanted, it is frustrating to think that the places we did want to go might not have those seats filled due to this. I personally would rather go back to the 90 or even 180 (and not add the +10). Heck, I'll call every day and wait on hold for that hour if it evens the playing field out a bit!

Dsnygirl
07-27-2009, 09:00 AM
I am not sure if you are required to log on the Disney site with your confirmation number or not to get into the ADR site, but if you are not you should be.

You are required to enter your reservation number to get into the system, at least from what I experienced... I didn't try to get in w/o one. Makes me wonder, b/c local folk won't always have a ressie, so maybe you don't have to -- maybe it's just Disney's way of linking you and your ADR's together.

I did notice that, when I put two reservations in for the same day that were within 20 minutes of each other (picked the wrong day on the calendar by accident) a notice popped up that asked me to be sure these were for two different groups of people, as the system had noted the close booking time. So, you are reminded not to do double bookings -- but are also allowed to, in case you were reserving a second place for other members of your party.

Not sure how Disney can rectify this, but I do hope that most people are honest about their ADR's, esp. if they are made aware by Disney and by othrs that to double book blocks other folks out of the system.

Mfarquar
07-27-2009, 09:20 AM
Just wondering...

I have always assumed with both the telephone reservation system and now the new online system that Disney accounts for a certain % of multiple bookings and cancellations.

I account for this in the event business, and I know that many hot restaurants in NYC do this as well.

I think multiple bookings have been an issue since the phone only reservation system was in place. Disney has never regulated this with the phone only system.

Does anyone know if this is indeed something they take into account for?

If they do take this into account, it may just be a matter of them adjusting their "no show" scales/percentage due to the convenience and anonymity of the Internet.

I'm not saying that it makes multiple reservations by a single party for a single meal ok. I'm just saying that I think we would see a lot more disjointed podium check-ins and a lot more empty seats if they did not take this into account.

Disney always hails the almighty dollar, I would imagine they would like maximum restaurant attendance, and calculating a "no show"/"multiple reservation" percentage (ultimately taking a few more reservations than they could accommodate) would partially help them reach this goal...

WDWCrazyKaren
07-27-2009, 09:28 AM
One more note:
I did make one ADR online and was not required to give my reservation #. The rest were made over the phone and I did give my number on the phone ressies.

Mickey'sGirl
07-27-2009, 09:35 AM
You are required to enter your reservation number to get into the system, at least from what I experienced... I didn't try to get in w/o one.
We did not use a reservation number to make our on-line ADR's. It was a combination of our e-mail and our phone number. I even cancelled reservations using this method (cuz I change my mind...A LOT!). :blush:

MidnTPK
07-27-2009, 09:45 AM
While people making phantom ADRs and multiple bookings might be a problem...it's a very minor one. I can say this conclusively because of my ADR experience.

I called to make my ADRs at 7 PM (yes, I called too late), 90 days from my check in day. My trip in September is 8 nights/9 days. I wanted something between 5:00 and 6:15 at Ohana, any weekday of my trip. Nothing available the whole week. I wanted a Chef Mickey's ANY day at 8 AM. Only on my check-out day was this available.

What does this prove? The only people who could have booked ADRs before me for my trip dates are WDW resort guests with a valid resort reservation. And the day I made these reservations the online ADR system was still only recognizing Disney Travel Company reservation numbers, not DVC or travel agent reservations. So most people had to make ADRs via a phone agent who would have seen that the double booking. While this is allowed, having an agent involved cuts down on the phantom ADRs.

So the only entity to blame for our experience is Disney, for not having enough high quality dining capacity. Especially during free dining.

And there's a foolproof way to check if I'm wrong: see if you can walk up to any popular places and get a table.

Marceline
07-27-2009, 09:48 AM
One more note:
I did make one ADR online and was not required to give my reservation #. The rest were made over the phone and I did give my number on the phone ressies.

I experienced the same thing last week when I tacked on another ADR for a lunch spot that was open for us. The only thing I was asked for was phone number and email address to send the confirmation to.

I would not like having to pay a hold fee for ADRs at all. Although it might rectify some of the problem it seems excessive.

I know not everyone is staying at a Disney resort, that is why I thought perhaps some sort of park ticket identifier code would ensure attendance. I have no clue if they even track park tix like this however.

Limiting your ADRs to the number of your nights of stay might work for people who are on the basic DDP, but what about those on the Deluxe DDP? Or families like mine who prefer to pay OOP? We have multiple ADRs a day sometimes. For example....Tusker house for Breakfast, Gardenview Tea Room at the GF mid-day and then a late evening ressie for Cali Grill.

I would think simply having the booking system software look for and cancel ADRs made under the same phone number or email within a few hour window would suffice as a deterrent to hording dining slots. But unfortunately those who really wanted to cheat the system could just use different phone numbers and email addys. Very frustrating stuff.

NJGIRL
07-27-2009, 10:17 AM
I think that they should start taking credit card numbers when making ADR's. This will cut back on the people who cheat the system and really won't be harmful to the people who are honest and show up for their ADR at all.

kathiep
07-27-2009, 10:50 AM
In addition to taking credit cards for making reservations, they should modify the system so that you can only make one TS reservations within a 4 or 5 hour period. It would help eliminate those that make duplicate bookings for dinner until they decide which they really want. But this would also still allow for making both a lunch and dinner TS on the same date.

DizneyRox
07-27-2009, 11:14 AM
In addition to taking credit cards for making reservations, they should modify the system so that you can only make one TS reservations within a 4 or 5 hour period. It would help eliminate those that make duplicate bookings for dinner until they decide which they really want. But this would also still allow for making both a lunch and dinner TS on the same date.
And would totally blow out the possibility of groups of people seperating to two different restaurants for meals. It does happen, I wanted a nice quiet meal with the better 1/2 and the grandparents took the rugrats to someplace more kid friendly.

People will game the system to their advantage. The only way to fix this is to require some sort of deposit, HOWEVER you're then going to penalize people who really do need to cancel, etc.

I have a couple of phone lines and too many e-mail addresses to list. That won't work.

If they take credit cards for holds, Disney will have to pay the transaction fees regardless. If they have non refundable holds, then you're surely going to a number of people mad, OR people will stop using the system and Disney's planning will go kablooey!

Walk-ups are not good for planning, they need to staff and purchase food based on demand.

I do think maybe they need to plan better for the Internet effect and see how that goes. Trying to find dupes is an exercise in futility. Wait until they cancel the wrong ressie for some dying kids first and only trip to see Cinderella! You thought the monorail crash got some bad press!

BMan62
07-27-2009, 11:19 AM

As much as I might agree with this thought pattern, I am loathe to implement a plan like this due to things like big groups under one reservation number or family reunion type trips that are not under Grand Gatherings.

What happens when your group wants to split up for one (or more) meals? How would you be able to book them?

As flawed as the current system is, it is hard to devise a better one.

My only thought would be to have a counter on the number of visitors on a reservation vs. number of seats booked on an ADR. This could be handled in the software easily enough, but could be a pain for CMs and online booking.

LibertyTreeGal
07-27-2009, 11:39 AM

ooh, this would totally wreck my Afternoon Tea addiction -- it doesn't open until 2pm and then i wouldn't be able to do dinner until really late! I would hate having to walk up and hope it wasn't booked solid.

BelleLovesTheBeast
07-27-2009, 11:44 AM
As much as I might agree with this thought pattern, I am loathe to implement a plan like this due to things like big groups under one reservation number or family reunion type trips that are not under Grand Gatherings.

What happens when your group wants to split up for one (or more) meals? How would you be able to book them?

As flawed as the current system is, it is hard to devise a better one.

My only thought would be to have a counter on the number of visitors on a reservation vs. number of seats booked on an ADR. This could be handled in the software easily enough, but could be a pain for CMs and online booking.

I think that's the only way it coud be done. If you have a vacation reservation for a party of 10 and book 2 restaurants you could only book for a total of 10 people. So you could have 6 at one restaurant and 4 at another.

Also the system shouldn't let you book more than one ADR within say 4 hours of each other. If you do (say in order to change ADRs) then you have 10 or 15 minutes to cancel the first one. Otherwise it kicks out both ADRs.

That would cut down on the number of people double booking. I've seen on other message boards were people booked the same ADR for 3 days in a row along with other restaurants and posted them as ones to give away.

BMan62
07-27-2009, 12:47 PM
Also the system shouldn't let you book more than one ADR within say 4 hours of each other. If you do (say in order to change ADRs) then you have 10 or 15 minutes to cancel the first one. Otherwise it kicks out both ADRs.

Then, you couldn't break up a larger party that wants to eat at different places at the same time. Not a valid answer to the problem.

MidnTPK
07-27-2009, 01:50 PM
Y'all are blaming the messenger. The problem has little to do with multiple ADRs and fantasy ones. The problem is Disney's sit-down dining capacity and quality. No matter what they do to the systems or rules, there are just more people wanting to eat at popular sit-downs than WDW can accommodate.

Some folks might recall that when Disney closed Pleasure Island, they said it was in response to guest demand for more shopping and dining venues. I'm sure they weren't lying about the dining. WDW does not have enough quality TS venues for all of its guests who want good food.

As to why there is a shortage: I bet the dining plans were intended for moderate and deluxe guests, where the resorts have sit-down venues (note that the new free dining offer for values this late fall only includes the CS plan). Disney has probably been surprised by how many value guests spend $120~ a night on their room, but also spend $120+ a night on dining (for a typical family of 4). WDW doesn't have enough non-resort sit-down dining capacity to accommodate the unexpected number of people at values that choose the dining plans (who are far more likely do their sit-down in a park or at DTD). WDW can't prevent any group/class of resort from dining where they want, so we're stuck with the current shortage.

A useful discussion would be what kinds of places WDW ought to quickly develop or improve. I'll start:

- Another place like Ohana - which is quite similar to a Brazilian steakhouse/gaucho
- Several more moderately priced steakhouses (like LeCellier...or Outback)
- More ethnic venues outside of Epcot - see the success of Boma and Jiko and the popularity of Thai, Vietnamese, and Indian dining, none of which can be found at WDW

But there'll always be a shortage at the best places. Hence the reason even in huge cities with fantastic dining there are always places that are impossible to get a reservation at.

spinnerf
07-27-2009, 02:08 PM
Im sure it is in WDWs interest to overbook all restaurants, they know many of those ADRs are not showing up. While requiring a deposit may seem like a good idea to us, then the restaurant couldnt be overbooked, or if it were some people would lose their deposit due to overbooking or not showing up. As evidenced by the unspoken rule of allowing late fastpasses to ride, Disney does not like angering their guests, and would never keep the $20 deposit. It would be a nightmare. Why not go to first come first serve, or I remember years back walking right up to commuincore and making my dinner reservation for the same day in EPCOT. I miss that.

Disney Doll
07-27-2009, 02:16 PM
I think that's the only way it coud be done. If you have a vacation reservation for a party of 10 and book 2 restaurants you could only book for a total of 10 people. So you could have 6 at one restaurant and 4 at another.

This makes sense to me. Sure you can split your party up for meals, but you can't get 5 ressies for 10 in the same day.

Goes4FastPass
07-27-2009, 02:18 PM
1. Let me book online or on the telephone.

2. Charge me a deposit.

3. Charge me for changes.

4. Charge me for not showing up without canceling.

5. If I make an ADR and post a deposit and show up with my party when and where we're supposed to, please have us a table ready.

Fair is fair, business is business.

BMan62
07-27-2009, 03:34 PM

2. Charge me a deposit.

5. If I make an ADR and post a deposit and show up with my party when and where we're supposed to, please have us a table ready.

EXACTLY!!!!! :thumbsup:

Mfarquar
07-27-2009, 03:41 PM
I couldn't agree with you more MidnTPK and spinnererf!

In addition, I do not think it's realistic to count on Disney implementing a "take your credit card" or "charge you for not showing up" fee policy. Same goes for "no booking" times in between reservations (which would penalize larger groups who are traveling together or adults who want a night away from the children - and that demographic often spends a lot of $$$ !).

The reason is simple. Disney's main goal is to have fantastic customer service. They do not like unhappy guests. They especially do not like complaining guests. There's a reason why no one is challenged when entering a ride with a fast pass that expired earlier that day. There's a reason why the California Grill often waives the cancellation fee it has instituted. Complaints.

If Disney were to implement such policies it would more than likely cost more than it is worth. They would need written materials available to educate guests on the new policy, as well as personnel to answer questions, calm disgruntled guests, and answer complaint letters (not to mention the "freebies" they sometimes provide guests who felt extremely wronged). It simply would not be a cost effective move for them.

Goes4FastPass
07-27-2009, 03:45 PM
...Disney's main goal is to have fantastic customer service...

Don't let the stockholders hear you say that.

TheVBs
07-27-2009, 09:51 PM
If you have a vacation reservation for a party of 10 and book 2 restaurants you could only book for a total of 10 people. So you could have 6 at one restaurant and 4 at another.

Just a thought, I don't think that would work either. We know lots of people who have family/friends who live in FL, not staying at a resort, who come join them in the parks and at restaurants. Then they wouldn't be able to book a reservation for their whole group.

dmosher
07-27-2009, 10:06 PM
I actually think that what they have isn't that bad. We had to call once from overseas to make our ADRs and NO we did not get everything but seriously... we are on vacation and know that we must be flexible. As far as only making 1 ADR per call, well that would not even be possible for those of us coming from around the world, which makes up a large amount of travelers to Disney Parks internationally.

Yes it was disappointing that we will not get a reservation at our usual restaurant choice but we will deal with it. Is the system flawed? Of course, when you consider the capacity levels, $ and technology that they have to deal with I say Disney is doing OK. Yes it is not perfect but we have to remember the difficulties and changes that WDW and other Disney parks are trying to sort out, so I say cut them a little slack while they work out the kinks.
Just a thought.
:pipes:
D

spinnerf
07-28-2009, 08:32 AM
Reading this thread was making me nervous, Im going to be in WDW next week and had no ADRs. Last night I made them online....was able to book Cinderellas Royal Table, Le Cellier, Boma in essence the only res I couldnt make was one for the Fantasmic Dinner Show. Not bad for T minus 9 days. (I only like making a few ADRs, the rest of the time I wing it).

Mfarquar
07-28-2009, 09:45 AM
Don't let the stockholders hear you say that.

Note, I also mentioned that it would cost more than it was worth. Now, [I]that[I] is something the stock holders and powers that be would not like. A lose-lose situation for Disney. :D

Septbride2002
07-28-2009, 01:06 PM

2. Charge me a deposit.

I agree - if that is going to be the rules I expect to sit down at my ADR time.

~Amanda

dizknee531
07-28-2009, 10:29 PM
It seems like most people are taking adavntage of booking online. I like talking to a live cast member.Then you don't have a mistake of double booking.

allentownguy
07-29-2009, 12:42 AM
well since i started this thread. i thought i would fill you all in tonight, after i received a phone call from WDW guest communications. they called after they received my complaint about not being able to gain adr's for my vacation.
it started off sounding very scripted the cm was telling me the various problems they were having and how Disney was rapidly trying to fix them. after hearing her speech i told her what i was told by the other cm's then she told me about the real problems.
Disney is trying to cut back on labor any way they can. they said the money they could save by cutting phone adr and trip reservation staff would be in the 10's of millions each year. the on line booking of vacations is working great, it has cut phone time from an avg of 40min to 20min cutting time in half! the same for the international staff.
they could have went online with adr's a few years ago but the problem they have is with the online adr's since 70% of Disney guests stay off site the only way to track them would be to hold the reservation with a credit card but with the amount of credit cards being held would be a legal disaster. Florida only allows a business to charge a cancel fee if the services would have been over a certain amount that's why places like the the contemporary, le cellier steakhouse ect.
she told me Disney was hoping guest would not over book and would cancel reservations. this has been such a problem, that phone time has doubled( was avg 21min before online)! other major problem is because guests that are not using the free dining plan and guests with the deluxe plan (three sit downs a day) are having such a problem, are canceling there vacation reservations because they cant get adr's.
she also stated they are thinking about suspending the online reservations until they can figure a plan out, like making it exclusive to on site guests so the system can track your reservation so you cant double book.

near the end of our call,
she told me just show up were i wanted to eat tho i may have to wait for a few min, but i should have no problem.
i asked her what if i had a adr some place else just to see what she would say, she said with all the adr problems as long as i was happy eating were i wanted was all the should matter! i said something like how was this helping the problem them, I HUNG THE PHONE UP!
Disney logic:mad:

Dsnygirl
07-29-2009, 01:11 AM
near the end of our call,
she told me just show up were i wanted to eat tho i may have to wait for a few min, but i should have no problem.

That is so not true... when my g'friends and I went in January, not over any of the busy weekends but a very quiet one, we tried to get into restaurants we had ADR's at just an hour prior to our ADR, as we were done with whatever we'd planned to do at that park and didn't want to wait just for our ADR. Well, no luck. Not a single opening was available before our ADR, no walk-ups at all!!! So, I can't imagine that across the board, you can just walk up to places and expect to get in w/o quite a wait, esp. the more popular places and during the more busy times. This was not wise advice, I think.

And all I can say to everything else is, WOW... I'm surprised she was so forthright w/ you. Not that any of it is anything that anyone else hasn't already thought of or figured out, but to hear it straight out like that... they must be getting pretty frustrated.

Even though I didn't have any problem w/ my online ADR's, I think it would probably be a good idea if they did suspend using the online system if it has overwhelmingly been a problem... and I like the idea of it being tied to a ressie, and having everyone else have to call. Not b/c those staying onsite should have preferential treatment, but to correct the double-booking situation. I can only think it would have to help.

Just my :twocents:...

DisneyFr33k
07-29-2009, 07:48 AM

:confused: How could she guarantee they'd have a table ready for you?

I'm sorry you're going through this. There are a lot of problems with the online booking. I was honest about my accidental double bookings and took care of it. But I can see other that might not and hang onto "in case" ressies.

DizneyRox
07-29-2009, 09:12 AM
What the CM explained sounds pretty accurate.

Working in IS, it's my job to try to reduce headcount. Sounds harsh, but that's what it is. Automation...

I don't htink it's a stretch with all the other cost cutting going on that getting rid of the phone reps, or a majority of them, isn't high on the list. I was told their call center had about 700-800 people, but that was a few years ago. Not sure how accurate that is, sounds high, but with a company as large as Disney, it could be true.

Cutting even 10-20% of those jobs would yield a huge savings.

Online ADRs are simple in concept, the system was already in place, they just needed to give it a nice front end. The big problem to solve for is it's a public applictaion with no real penalties for abuse. But that abuse can really impact the ones that want to really take advantage of it.

I do believe that folks would cancel if they can't get into places to eat. I know a lot of people that dread the trip to Disney. They do it for the kids, or their better half, etc... Finding any excuse to pass on it would be a god send.

Letting that cash fall through ther fingers, regardless of the reason is not good. We'll see, I'm goign to guess the easiest fix is to just overbook and hope you get the right percentage of abusers and no shows to be able to maintain happy guests. They can probably get away with comping a few of the complainers that might not be able to get in. A couple "free" tickets makes a lot of problems just go away

Belster
07-29-2009, 10:02 AM
I also had a probelm two days ago...I made reservations to find out the next day we are now going to have two more travelers...ugh!!! So I went in and booked all of the same resis made sure I got them and then immediately went in and canceled the others. The only reason I did this is because I let the two new travelers know that I would not change my reservations if we could not get in...but I was able to.

FYI when I called to cancel all of the other resis the woman on the phone could not have thanked me enough...she said that it is a huge problem.

beksy
07-29-2009, 08:30 PM
I made my ADRs over the phone and while waiting for the computer to load the cm and I were talking about people abusing the system. She said that a few days before a woman had called to make another ADR and when her others were pulled up, she had a breakfast ADR at CRT for EIGHT days. She was asked if she really was planning to eat there all eight times and said no but she didn't know which day she really wanted and would keep them all for now. :mad: I don't know what the solution is but there definitely is a problem. I was lucky and got everything I wanted when I wanted it :cloud9: but it is irritating that people fill up the popular spots, knocking other people out just because they can't make up their minds on what day they want! Ok, I'm off my :soapbox: now!

Dsnygirl
07-29-2009, 09:37 PM
She said that a few days before a woman had called to make another ADR and when her others were pulled up, she had a breakfast ADR at CRT for EIGHT days. She was asked if she really was planning to eat there all eight times and said no but she didn't know which day she really wanted and would keep them all for now. :mad:
I am really surprised the CM didn't tell her she couldn't do that, b/c when I used to call for my ADR's, you couldn't do something like that, they made you choose. So, Disney is furthering the problem if they are talking to people who have done it online wrong, and allowing them to keep things they otherwise wouldn't have been able to do. :(

green ranger
07-29-2009, 09:43 PM
Why can't they get rid of ADR all together and go back to first come first serve? Put your name on a wait list just like I do here in NJ when I go out to dinner. It would be up to you then if you want to wait or not at that restaurant. Wouldn't that solve a lot of these problems?

Seasonscraps
07-29-2009, 10:04 PM
I am really surprised the CM didn't tell her she couldn't do that, b/c when I used to call for my ADR's, you couldn't do something like that, they made you choose. So, Disney is furthering the problem if they are talking to people who have done it online wrong, and allowing them to keep things they otherwise wouldn't have been able to do. :(

Technically, she could go to CRT every morning. I am surprised the CM didn't do anything when she admitted that she didn't intend to use them all - that just adds to the problem if the CMs are not trying to control this situation. Although the guest had to leave a deposit for each ADR so Disney considers this covered.

Seasonscraps
07-29-2009, 10:06 PM
Why can't they get rid of ADR all together and go back to first come first serve? Put your name on a wait list just like I do here in NJ when I go out to dinner. It would be up to you then if you want to wait or not at that restaurant. Wouldn't that solve a lot of these problems?

The restaurants will still have capacity limits and will fill up. Then guests will spend oodles of time running from one restaurant to another to get a meal.

BelleKP
07-29-2009, 10:10 PM
I made my ADRs over the phone and while waiting for the computer to load the cm and I were talking about people abusing the system. She said that a few days before a woman had called to make another ADR and when her others were pulled up, she had a breakfast ADR at CRT for EIGHT days. She was asked if she really was planning to eat there all eight times and said no but she didn't know which day she really wanted and would keep them all for now. :mad:

I don't consider myself a 'goody two shoes' by any stretch of the imagination . . . but it wouldn't even occur to me to do something like this! People continue to shock me with their decisions and inability to see how their actions affect others.

Cinderella's mom
07-30-2009, 05:34 PM
I have to say that I am shocked by what I am reading!!! Our 90 day mark is not until August, but totally shocked that people would do this! :mad: As others have said, tie it to a resort confirmation number. Only problem with this would be the people who are staying off site (who in the world would want to do that? lol) Anyway, I hope Disney gets this fixed soon!!!! I can understand trying to see how the online thing works, but not to actually make the reservation. I say charge a credit card in order to make them and refund the money to the ones who are on the dining plan.

DizneyFreak2002
07-30-2009, 10:06 PM

2. Charge me a deposit.

Charge for a change in ADR??? Is it April 1st??? Seriously??? You already have to book 90 days out... So, punish someone who has plans change all of a sudden?? BAD BUSINESS!!! Cause, well you do know that there is something that does interfere with ADRs and vacation plans.. it is called LIFE... it happens ya know???

And Disney does have a control on double booking... If you book two ADRS for the same day, within an hour of each other, or maybe 2 hours of each other, the system automatically cancels BOTH ADRS unless you call to cancel one... So, what is the complain about exactly???

badkitty
07-30-2009, 11:50 PM
I made my reservations online and when it came time for the system to give me a confirmation number, it didn't. Instead of trying again, I just called. Sure enough, the reservations were there and the CM gave me my confirmation numbers. I checked them out in the system and everything was there. Browsing to see what might be available and checking out the menus is nice but calling is so much easier.

Mfarquar
07-31-2009, 09:38 AM
Charge for a change in ADR??? Is it April 1st??? Seriously??? You already have to book 90 days out... So, punish someone who has plans change all of a sudden?? BAD BUSINESS!!! Cause, well you do know that there is something that does interfere with ADRs and vacation plans.. it is called LIFE... it happens ya know???

And Disney does have a control on double booking... If you book two ADRS for the same day, within an hour of each other, or maybe 2 hours of each other, the system automatically cancels BOTH ADRS unless you call to cancel one... So, what is the complain about exactly???

TOTALLY agree, DisneyFreak2002! It would be a PR nightmare and ultimately very costly for Disney to implement something like this. It would turn off a TON of customers. Plus, I believe there are laws against this in FL (the restaurant must be in a certain price range?).

Exactly when do they cancel both ADRs? I haven't ever come across this and am nervous because we will be splitting up this September to meet up with different friends for dinner. Our reservation is under different names (because we will be heading out as 2 separate parties). Will one or both of us end up without reservations that night? I don't see how they can if they don't have your reservation number, but I want to make sure! Otherwise, I better have my friend call (who lives in the area) and make a reservation, but we probably won't get the same restaurant/time.

I haven't heard of this?

Dsnygirl
08-02-2009, 12:52 PM
And Disney does have a control on double booking... If you book two ADRS for the same day, within an hour of each other, or maybe 2 hours of each other, the system automatically cancels BOTH ADRS unless you call to cancel one...
I don't think this is true. When I booked online, I accidentally made two ADR's for the same day, within 10 minutes of each other, one for Narcoossee's and one for Cali Grill. The system merely asked me to double check my dates, and that if these were two seperate ADR's for two different groups in my party, it was fine... but if it was an accident, to cancel one. Thankfully, the computer recognized it, b/c it was meant to be for a Fri & Sat, and I was able to fix it... otherwise, I would have missed the Saturday ressie totally, as both ressies were accidentally made for Friday evening. But, if I was merely being selfish and holding two ressies until I decided which one I wanted at the last minute, I would have been allowed to -- the computer would have just thought that my party was splitting up and eating at two different restaurants.

So -- I don't think Disney has any "failsafe" system to disallow this... which is why so many people are having problems.

AllyMonkey
08-02-2009, 01:24 PM
Disney's system doesn't seem to catch it automatically when you make the ADR's by phone either. I already had a 7:00 pm dinner ADR at Grand Floridian Cafe for the last night of our trip but have been trying since Day 90 to get a reservation at either Rose and Crown or Le Cellier. I finally got a reservation for 7:20 pm at R&C, but the CM's computer never notified her that it would conflict with another ADR we had for approximately the same time. I had to tell her that I needed to cancel the other one.

Mfarquar
08-03-2009, 09:46 AM
Whew! Dining crisis averted! :mickey:

castlelady36
08-03-2009, 01:56 PM

Totally agree with you DizneyFreak!! Plans do change and try as we might sometimes things happpen and are unable to make the ADR. We have missed only a few...generally due to unexpected line waits or something. I could argue having to give your resort reservation # but what about those who stay offsite? I think tweakng the system is better so that you are not allowed to abuse the system. Sure some will find ways but I don't think it fair I have to pay extra to hold my spot when others are taking advantage of it. Business is business which means keeping your customers happy. Find a way to fix it.....it is Disney after all.

Goes4FastPass
08-03-2009, 02:12 PM
The Disney system does allow impossible (the same group of guests at 2 places at the same time) reservations.

It's sad to think the same family that knocks you down to cheat their way to the front of the line at Splash Mountain is doing so while their Le Cellier ADR is a no show because they decided no to go to Epcot today.

I gotta hope these people get to the pearly gates and someone checks their record and puts them in a special queue that moves very slowly and keeps making turns that lead to other parts of the queue and goes on forever and never gets to the "attraction".