PDA

View Full Version : Alaskan Cruise - Day 7

Cinderelley
07-26-2009, 02:11 AM
Skagway

Tom and I had discussed the dog sledding dilemma at great lengths the night before. The card they left us said that they would not be doing the dog sledding, because it was too hot for the dogs. Instead, they were going to offer more hands-on activities such as hooking the dogs up to the sled, cleaning them, etc. Although it sounded interesting, I was not willing to pay over $100 per person for dog chores - maybe if they had cut the price considerably, but they hadn't. My only hang ups were that this was the one activity DD had been dead set on doing. She fell in love with the picture of the husky puppy that they showed in the advertisement. I knew my mom was looking forward to it too. At the end of our discussion, Tom told me it was up to me. I, for the most part, had written it off unless my mother said she absolutely positively wanted to do it. We decided to talk to her in the morning, since we weren't scheduled to do the tour until 2 pm.

The next morning Tom was awake before I was and ran into my mother in the Windjammer. He told my mom about our discussion, and she agreed with my point of view. He woke me up, and I had the great job of telling DD. She took it amazingly well. She and DS were exhausted from all the late night activities and early morning rising. They opted to stay in bed.

Tom and I headed into Skagway. This was a little town in which every other store was a jewelry store. The buildings were really old - one sign which referred to smoking said "save our hundred year old buildings." They looked like it was straight out of the Gold Rush. It was pretty neat to see. We walked through some of the shops, a museum, and ate at the Alaskan Brewing Company. The food was pretty good. They also had a brothel museum that had a sign which said $5 for 15 minutes - just like the old days :laughing:. We didn't go in though.

Someone said that the temperature was 88 degrees. Everyone was complaining that it was too hot, and all the shops had fans blowing. Coming from the desert, I was quite comfortable in jeans and a t-shirt. I was really curious why no one turned their air conditioner on when they were complaining, and then realized they probably don't install central air in Alaska. :D No one thinks of Alaska as having major heat waves.

We got bored and headed back to the ship. Mom and Jeff had taken a tour which they really enjoyed. The kids were awake. Alaric wanted to do the rock climbing wall, so the kids and I went to sign him up. It was closed, so they played ping pong. Then we went into the Hollywood Odyssey where DS played the piano. DS and I hit the rumba class in the Colony Club, and DD watched and laughed at us. Aferwards we took some fun pictures with the cannons at the Schooner Bar.

DH hadn't been feeling well, so he went to the ship's medical facility and bought some generic NyQuil. One little bottle was $7.00. After a nap, he and I were checking out the activites on the cruise compass when I heard a loud noise. I went out on the balcony to see what it was and there was a huge, beautiful waterfall cascading down the mountain that we were passing by. It was followed by several smaller waterfalls that we sat on the balcony and watched go by.

Our second formal night was that night, so we got all dressed up again and took more pictures. Alaric and I got one taken in a dance pose to commemorate our Rumba lessons. The guys bought each of us girls a rose, so we all felt very special and paraded them around throughout dinner.

After dinner, the kids went to the Teen Club, Mom and Jeff went to the show and Tom and I hit The Quest in the Colony Club. It was a great activity, but DH has forbidden me to give out any details about his activities there. I highly recommend this to anyone who is cruising with Royal Caribbean though. Be prepared to get involved and have a good time. Afterwards, we hit the nightclub - StarQuest to work on our dance moves. You could really feel the ship's movement up there.

We headed back to our room and ran into DD & DS getting a group picture taken with all of their cruising buddies. What we didn't know was that the teens had been right outside of the Colony Club playing on the self-levelling pool tables while we were playing The Quest. DH was mortified that they kids might have seen what we were doing. They already knew what it was though, because they had had a Teen Quest earlier in the week.

We all turned in and looked forward to a laid back day the next day.

TooGoofy
07-27-2009, 07:57 AM
Sounds like another great day! Thanks for doing this report... I am eagerly awaiting the next installment.

crazypoohbear
07-30-2009, 08:22 PM
I'm curious. Did your quest have anything like the quest we saw on our cruise. That one involved my son in a pair of pants with his friend Evan.
evan wearing lipstick
evan and Joe in their boxers in the club
Women removing brassieres and some men (NOT my boy's!) wearing bras and womens shoes?
Is this the type of quest you and DH were at???:blush::D

Cinderelley
07-30-2009, 09:30 PM
I'm curious. Did your quest have anything like the quest we saw on our cruise. That one involved my son in a pair of pants with his friend Evan.
evan wearing lipstick
evan and Joe in their boxers in the club
Women removing brassieres and some men (NOT my boy's!) wearing bras and womens shoes?
Is this the type of quest you and DH were at???:blush::D

Yes. :D