PDA

View Full Version : Big Discount Concierge vs Free Dining

HJL413
07-24-2009, 07:00 PM
We are currently booked for September staying at GF with the free dining promotion. We have now learned of a deep discount at GF for concierge level. We are considering changing from free dining to the concierge level package. I am looking for some information on concierge level and the type of food/snacks that are served throughout the day and evening hours. Thanks

DreamFinder2
07-24-2009, 09:21 PM
My DW and I have stayed at GF concierge, and have often discussed the "trade off" between the room extra cost and the food that you get vs. having to buy it somewhere else. Really, the only meal you can reasonably replace is breakfast. They serve a nice spread of bagels, juice, etc. in the morning and it was always enough to get us going. I remember "hot" items on one or two days, but I don't think it was an everyday occurrance.

Otherwise, the food served is definitely tasty, but falls into the "appetizer" category. I don't think you could replace lunch or dinner with the food provided, although it does make a nice snack in the afternoon and later evening.

Sooo...we've never really felt like the extra room cost balances out with the food you get w/ it. I know this isn't exactly your question, but hopefully it helps.

PS - we DID love the espresso, adult beverages, cola that's available at nearly any time of the day...a very nice perk that does save a little money.

HJL413
07-25-2009, 10:08 AM
Actually DF the information you provided did answer much of my question and it is most appreciated

I think I am in the minority, however, I am not much of a fan of the dining plan even when it is "free"

First, I take issue with the concept of it being "free". Granted we are not paying extra, however, the room is eliminated

Second, to maximize the plan you really need to restrict meals to only 1 sit down per day. Further, some of the restaurants are 2 credits so there goes another day

I certainly see many advantages of the plan, however, advertising plays a role and we are conditioned to love the word "free"

We are going to switch to the deeper discount and try GF concierge. The rate really is amazing and it will be fun to stay in the GF and try the concierge service and amenities

DreamFinder2
07-25-2009, 04:13 PM
Good choice...you'll love it. Our ressie is for a standard room, but we're hoping for an upgrade. We got one last time, so maybe we'll be lucky again!

TammiMcMan
07-27-2009, 03:45 PM
The GF offers two club levels, one is called Lodge Concierge and the other is the Royal Palm Club in the main building. Both offer the same basic amenities, but the ambiance is very different.

For the lounges at both locations, the following is a sample of what they do offer:

6:30am-7:00am ~ coffee & tea service
7am-10:30am ~ deluxe continental breakfast, includes cereal, fruit, yogurt, pastry, bagels, juice, etc.
11am-2pm ~ vegetables & dips, assorted hummus, "snacky" type food
3pm-4pm ~ afternoon tea, assorted cookies, scones with devenoshire cream, strawberry trifle on select days
5pm-7pm ~ wine, beer, variety of appetizers which vary nightly (can include chicken or beef skewers, shrimp, scallops, etc.)
8pm-10pm ~ cordials and desserts

If you let me know which level you are upgrading to, I can be more specific about the details of each building.