PDA

View Full Version : Fear of flying

epcot linnie
07-24-2009, 05:33 PM
My 14 year old daughter, after approx 30 flights, has suddenly devoloped a fear to fly. We are heading to WDW in 2 weeks, and as much as she has always LOVED it there, she is making herself worried to the point of wishing we weren't going at all. Last summer, the pediatrician recommended Benedryl, which didn't have any affect.....any one else deal with this issue with their children?

It'sWDW4me
07-24-2009, 05:44 PM
I'm sure the recent air tragedies and the resulting media coverage isn't helping, either. I know Dramamine always puts me out - maybe that would help a little? At least take some of the edge off of her anxiety.

Good luck. :pixie:

Strmchsr
07-24-2009, 05:53 PM
Check the links I posted in the weather forecast thread. There's one that deals with fear of flying issues and is pretty helpful. Especially for a teenager knowledge sometimes helps a lot.

ctennis
07-24-2009, 09:21 PM
I had the same issue, after many years of flying, I had a bad experience, and for about 2 years after that I had really bad fears of flying.

I ended up seeing my doctor and was prescribed some medicine to help (something to make you relax). I never had to take it, but knowing I had it seemed to help considerably.

TheRustyScupper
07-25-2009, 06:23 AM
I had the same issue, after many years of flying, I had a bad experience, and for about 2 years after that I had really bad fears of flying.

1) I survived a crash, and it only took me 11-months to get back on a plane.
2) Fortunately, did not have to use drugs.
3) My son-in-law has a fear of flying.
4) His doc gives him some "good stuff", that makes hi sleep the whole way. *
5) For your daughter, ask the doctor for some "good" drugs.
6) Should work out well.

* We have bought the extended family vacations to WDW, Vegas, Hawaii, and London, and the SIL hasn't had a problem after taking his "meds" for the flights.

E-OR
07-25-2009, 06:09 PM
This sounds so much like my son. We have flown a lot but he began to have a fear of flying to the point of getting off the plane two years ago. There is no reasoning with anxiety issues. He really wants to go to WDW but his fear of flying was so bad that he just could not. He saw a counselor to try to work through this but it was a waste of time. We then found a doctor who deals with anxiety issues. He had six visits with her and along medication he went to WDW last September and is really excited about our upcoming Sept. 09 trip. He takes a couple different things when he flies: one that relaxes him prior to getting on and one that knocks him out after we get on. He used to began to stress out a few days before our vacation was even over thinking about or flight home. Talking to a doctor who knows how to treat fears like this was the key to him flying again. I'm not sure how bad your daughters problem is but taking to her doctor might be your first step.