PDA

View Full Version : Why The Change From Dixie Landings to Port Orleans Riverside

jakeybake
07-24-2009, 05:12 PM
Hi,

I know this is totally dated but I always wondered why the powers that be decided to combine Dixie Landings and Port Orleans.

I thought they were both very unique and both had enough amenities to properly function as it's own, singular resort.

Dixie Landings was by far our favorite moderate resort and I was personally very disappointed when they combined the two.

My DRHW and I ate stayed at both resorts way back when. We had eaten at the restaurant (the nane escapes me now) at Port Orleans for breakfast and enjoyed it very much. We were both very surprised when it closed. I had heard that part of the reason it closed was because of the future combination of resorts, though I still don't get why they would want guests to have to trek all the over to Dixie Landings for a sit down meal.

Just curious as to why they took two very unique and self sufficient resorts and combined them into one.

Jay

P.S. I still have my Dixie Landings Drink Mug!!

Scott C
07-25-2009, 11:44 AM
Yes. I still have my mug also. We just returned from a week at POFQ. While they have always been "sister" resorts -- they still feel very separate. The consensus seems to be that they wanted to remove any trace of anything that could be related to the old south and slavery. I am not in agreement with this position. I don't see how anyone could be offended by the word "Dixie"--but then again I was not there. I just feel that by being extremely P.C. Disney is just afraid of possibly offending someone.

On another note -- can anyone tell me just where Bonfamilles Cafe was located at POFQ?

Thanks
Scott C

HoosierDisneyFan
07-25-2009, 12:53 PM
Not sure if this is the reason but it may have to do with there no longer being a TS resturant at POFQ.

nicster
07-25-2009, 01:34 PM
Dixie was our first & second experience in staying on-site. I still have my key-cards from them.

mainemajor
07-25-2009, 04:30 PM
Still have my mug, too. Also a hat pin of Dixie Landings

Harriet
07-26-2009, 05:58 AM
I too was disappointed in the name change and closing of Bonifelt's. I fail to understand the reason for the changes other they Money. Combining services has reduced expenses. I still have my Dixie Landing mug,hotel pin and t-shirt and pictures with the Dixie logo visable everywhere. I am also very disappoint for the closing of breakfast at Boatwrites and this has changed my mind about staying at Port Orleans on my planned vacation for 2010.

baileykelly
07-27-2009, 12:12 AM
On another note -- can anyone tell me just where Bonfamilles Cafe was located at POFQ?

Thanks
Scott C

I think I remember Bonfamile's being just to the left of the bar/lounge at French Quarter. I could be wrong, it has been years since I was there and the restaurant was open.

Scott C
07-27-2009, 12:42 PM
I think I remember Bonfamile's being just to the left of the bar/lounge at French Quarter. I could be wrong, it has been years since I was there and the restaurant was open.

Thanks--I was wondering where it was--if you are facing the bar- there was nothing to the left so that would make sense.

Scott C

TheRustyScupper
07-27-2009, 06:05 PM
I know this is totally dated but I always wondered why the powers that be decided to combine Dixie Landings and Port Orleans.

1) The name change was due to Political Correctness pressure.
. . . references to the name "Dixie"
. . . brought back memories of the Old South
. . . there were complaints about slavery, etc
2) The "combining" was due to cost reductions.
. . . less check-in staff
. . . the closing of Bon Familles eatery, which wasn't ever very popular
. . . overall cost reductions

Mousemates
07-27-2009, 10:23 PM
1) The name change was due to Political Correctness pressure.
. . . references to the name "Dixie"
. . . brought back memories of the Old South
. . . there were complaints about slavery, etc

i.e. the long disappearance of Song of the South and the absence of Uncle Remus in Splash Mountain....but whatever they call it, we still like POFQ very much and are looking forward to giving POR a try this new years eve.

coneygoil
07-29-2009, 02:35 PM
Dixie Landings was always my favorite place. Me and my folks stayed there about 10 times. I was sad when they changed the name. I'm not sure why, but if it was because of the whole "old south" thing, that is really dumb. It's a part of history. We can't forget it and if we try to erase any trace of the history of the old south then how will the US learn from the mistakes?

Anyways, my folks still have there DL mugs from the early '90's - the gigantic yellow mugs with the logo and Mickey on it.