PDA

View Full Version : Switching resorts

fanofdisney
07-24-2009, 11:43 AM
Has anyone stayed at 2 resorts during their stay and if so would you do it again? We are thinking about trying to get a reservation for a few days at AKV and trying for a few days at BLT or BWV. This is for a trip in Jan so I'm hoping it won't be so difficult to get a reservation outside our home resort SSR.

hlkeck
07-24-2009, 12:21 PM
we did it once. I don't think it was much of a big deal - except that Disney moved our bags and it took FOREVER. We almost missed our dinner reservations, actually, because we didn't have our dressy clothes until 5:15 (we were going to V&A's)...so, I'd take what you need for the whole day!

dlpmikki
07-24-2009, 01:08 PM
As long as you don't mind packing and unpacking it can be a great idea. The first time I did it I hated it but I've got quite good at it now. I'm going a bit overboard in January and am staying at (at least) 4 resorts, 3 of which are DVC ones. I am staying several days at each so it is not too bad and if you have a short stay at one it can sometimes make the DDP seem more tempting.

Dsnygirl
07-24-2009, 03:42 PM
We're trying it for the first time this fall, but we're having the desk at CBR call us a taxi for our move, primarily b/c of how long I've heard it takes Disney sometimes to move your bags. (We're changing resorts the day of our MNSSHP, so we want to be sure we have our costumes, etc., early on, as soon as our room is available at AKL!)

Other folks have done this and said it works really well, very easy, as long as you don't mind the $15 or so. :thumbsup:

tmosier
07-24-2009, 03:47 PM
I hope it's not too much trouble to change hotels because we are doing it for the first time this November. Not including our drive to and from Kansas, we are staying at: Country Inn and Suites (Universal) one night, Royal Pacific (Universal) one night, Swan (WDW) two nights, and Wilderness Lodge (WDW) five nights. Whew!

xipetotec
07-24-2009, 04:10 PM
Has anyone stayed at 2 resorts during their stay and if so would you do it again? We are thinking about trying to get a reservation for a few days at AKV and trying for a few days at BLT or BWV. This is for a trip in Jan so I'm hoping it won't be so difficult to get a reservation outside our home resort SSR.

For sure!!! This allowed us to see the then new AKV ( before Kidani village was open ) and also stay at our beloved 'home" Beach Club

TennesseeTink
07-24-2009, 04:52 PM
We've done this a couple of times. Once we stayed 4 nights at CBR, then 3 nights at AKl. This year we stayed 4 nights in a studio at BCV, then 5 nights in a one-bedroom at AKV. We drive so moving our bags is never an issue. We load up the van in the morning, go play in a park all day, then check into the new resort before dinner(we make ADRs at the new resort) and spend the evening relaxing or exploring the new digs.

Both times we have really enjoyed the experience. It adds a nice twist to the vacation.:thumbsup:

fanofdisney
07-25-2009, 01:41 PM
Awesome, thank you so much for your input. We rent a van when we go so I like the idea of moving our own luggage. My question is about the food, can we take care of our luggage and ask them to move the food? I hate to have that sitting in the van all day.

MinnieMommie
07-27-2009, 07:57 AM
We did this for the first time last January. We stayed first at AKL and then switched to BC. There was no problem at all switching the food. That is taken care of for you. The resort staff makes the switch and keeps everything refrigerated.

We had a rental car and packed a clothes change and any essential items with us. We went to a park after checking out of AKL and then were able to get in our room at BC as soon as we arrived. The only glitch was that we never received our bags in our room so it was a good thing we packed a change. We waited until night to call and see what happened to our bags and groceries to find that they had been sitting at BC for hours.

We are doing this again in January 2010. We have a trip planned for BLT and have added on days at AKL. I'm not expecting any problems with the change over. :mickey:

PlutoPlanet
07-27-2009, 12:24 PM
We did a split stay last year and will do it again this year. The different resorts are a fun part of the WDW experience.

fanofdisney
07-28-2009, 04:16 PM
Thanks for all the advice. We did it, we are staying at BWV and AKV. We can't wait:woohoo:

xipetotec
07-29-2009, 09:51 AM
Thanks for all the advice. We did it, we are staying at BWV and AKV. We can't wait:woohoo:

OMG both amazing resorts. AKV has SUCH a beautiful resort, and the dining there is out of this world ( imho ). Boma has great choices, and Jiko is just well.. .wow...

Boardwalk is SO close to Epcot it's just a treat to stay there. Not to mention Big River Grille just downstairs!

have a great time!!

disneyyoung
07-30-2009, 07:57 AM
I always switch rooms during my week stay. Since you don't get housekeeping often it is always nice to get a clean room. I sometimes stay in a studio for a fews nights on the weekend then move to a one bedroom to conserve points. I have never had problems with my luggage and I have done this more than ten times.

pox24
07-30-2009, 08:18 AM
All the time. For example, in September we are spending 6 nights in a 2 BR at Kidani with our kids. They need to leave before us so we are staying the last 3 nights at the new BLT. Packing up and moving is no big deal for us anyway.

Seasonscraps
07-30-2009, 08:39 AM
Awesome, thank you so much for your input. We rent a van when we go so I like the idea of moving our own luggage. My question is about the food, can we take care of our luggage and ask them to move the food? I hate to have that sitting in the van all day.

I would bring everything with you in the van - you can ask bell service to put the food into cold storage for you and hold everything else. Then when you get access to your room, they can bring everything up together.

DVCDisneyMom
07-30-2009, 08:47 AM
Yes! We do it and it's fine! We do the short stay first (usually 2 nights) and then switch over to the main resort. That way we don't have to open all our luggage, we just pack a small piece for that resort stay. Very easy!!