PDA

View Full Version : Who has shipped bottle water to their resort ahead of time?

Gregandmel
07-24-2009, 10:59 AM
Seems like I"ve seen this posted before but I skipped over the thread and now I can't find it.

My family is big bottled water drinkers when we travel - especially in the parks (convenience of size and the caps on the bottle and they fit nicely in our backpacks). It obviously becomes terrible expensive to pay $2 or $3 per bottle for a family of 6 when we go through 2 or 3 per day while at the parks. Even if we "reuse" only 1 bottle each day and refill them (and use the flavor packets if the water tastes so-so).

Has anyone ever shipped a case of water to their rooms? If so - how did that work out and was it expensive to ship (since the case is so heavy!!) Trying to determine what the most cost effective way is to get our h20 in each day!!

Thanks for any insight! 9 months from today. Woo hoo!! :mjump:

faline
07-24-2009, 11:03 AM
I have not done it but water does weight quite a bit so might be rather expensive to ship. If you're using Magical Express, you can use a grocery delivery service to have water delivered to your resort. I believe they have a minimum order of $25 or so. If you're using a towncar such as Quicksilver (http://www.quicksilver-tours.com/), you can arrange a free grocery stop on the way to your resort.

g8rgirl29
07-24-2009, 11:24 AM
We bring our Brita water pitcher and filter each year to refill our water bottles back at the room. If you are worried about packing space, you could have a new one shipped to you, which would probably be cheaper than shipping water and you would have an unlimited water supply. We just bring a ziploc baggie for the filter for the return trip home and we pack stuff in our pitcher so it doesn't take up too much space. I am very picky about the taste of the water and I have never had a problem with it filtered through the Brita there. If you don't have a fridge you can keep it on ice in the sink.

Strmchsr
07-24-2009, 11:31 AM
I agree with Linda. Shipping water is just too expensive due to weight. Much better to use a grocery delivery service or a grocery stop if you're using a town car.

Wall-e
07-24-2009, 11:38 AM
I have never done it, but I do remember reading on a similar thread recently that someone said they order it from Staples who has free shipping and just has it delivered to the resort. Maybe look into that. I plan to when we get closer to our trip!

garymacd
07-24-2009, 11:44 AM
We took a large Brita container with us and either used tap water or ice from the ice machines and refilled our reusable water bottles from that. The filter removed most of the strong taste from the water and no extra waste.

This was easy when we drove down and had room for it. You can also get filtered water bottles and refill from the fountains.

faline
07-24-2009, 11:48 AM
I have never done it, but I do remember reading on a similar thread recently that someone said they order it from Staples who has free shipping and just has it delivered to the resort. Maybe look into that. I plan to when we get closer to our trip!

Actually, when I looked at the Staples site after seeing that post, it indicated the cost to ship the water was more than the total cost of the case of water. I think the person who had the free shipping had a special teacher's rate or something along that line which allowed for the free shipping.

Wall-e
07-24-2009, 12:00 PM
Bummer! Thanks for letting me know.

Disney Doll
07-24-2009, 12:03 PM
We prefer grocery delivery. We like to get a few breakfast items anyway. Shipping water is not cost effective.

Aurora's Mom
07-24-2009, 12:54 PM
Can you take your own bottled water into the parks? Will they allow you to take water/snacks or sandwiches?

Strmchsr
07-24-2009, 01:17 PM
Can you take your own bottled water into the parks? Will they allow you to take water/snacks or sandwiches?

Yes to all of that. You can't take a cooler or anything into the park, but you can bring your water bottle and snacks in your backpack.

diz_girl
07-24-2009, 02:57 PM
Actually, when I looked at the Staples site after seeing that post, it indicated the cost to ship the water was more than the total cost of the case of water. I think the person who had the free shipping had a special teacher's rate or something along that line which allowed for the free shipping.

The water is usually $5 or $6 per 24-pk case (right now it's $5). Shipping is $10. It's still cost-effective to ship it to your resort. If you buy one case, each bottle is about 62 cents. If you buy two cases (shipping is still $10), then each bottle is about 41 cents. It's still a lot better than $2 to $3 per bottle, so you still might want to go that route. If each person goes through two bottles of water per day and you're there for a week, you're going to need about three cases of water. The good thing is shipping from staples appears to still be $10 if you buy three cases (or even four) and your per bottle costs goes down to 35 cents a bottle.

I drive, so I just pack it in my car, but I'd definitely consider shipping it from Staples if I needed some more space in my car.

pcoleman
07-24-2009, 06:48 PM
Shipped water for the first time last year and it worked great. Called Staples and had three cases of water shipped to POP. When we checked in it was waiting for us and was delivered to our room. Shipping was $8 no matter how many cases. We usually drive and bring our own but last year we flew so it was the best option.

Donald's Girl
07-24-2009, 09:47 PM
We just stop at the Hess Car Center and buy it. In May I think we paid about $5 for a case of 24.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-24-2009, 10:00 PM
I had 3 cases of water shipped to the resort by Staples and the delivery charge was $10. Doing the math, it was still cheaper than paying $2+ for a bottle of water in the parks. I drink at least 3 per day if not more so it was worth it.

wdwnomad
07-24-2009, 10:36 PM
You used to be able to get Staples to deliver the water for free if you ordered it in the store and were a Staples Rewards member. I found out they stopped that. I hear Costco is the next best thing now. You don't have to be a member and you can order it online.

Daddy Mouse
07-25-2009, 01:56 PM
If you are planning to ship more than water to your resort. Try thr following. Ship empty bottles. (the weight is less) and you plan on refilling them each day. The extra weight in shipping should be a very small amount if any.

wildernesslady
07-26-2009, 06:05 PM
I have packed an extra suitcase with a rubbermaid container filled with water bottles. Never had a problem. I do however fly southwest and you get 2 bags per passenger free. Not sure if that helps. We have also used garden grocer for water and breakfast items and they were great. There was a $12.00 delivery charge. Still a lot cheaper than buying water bottles in the parks.

Ed
07-26-2009, 06:58 PM
I have packed an extra suitcase with a rubbermaid container filled with water bottles. Never had a problem. I do however fly southwest and you get 2 bags per passenger free.

A little caveat here ~~~

I deal with airline baggage handlers every day. Many of them are 'less than gentle' in handling bags, and there sometimes seems to be an unwritten rule that the heavier the bag, the more likely it is to get thrown or dropped. (Does anybody besides me remember the old Samsonite luggage TV ads with the gorillas throwing bags around? Lot of truth to that!)

Also keep in mind that most airlines are charging for excess weight (over 50 lbs), and almost all charge for every checked bag. One US gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds. An Imperial Gallon weighs 10 pounds. That can add up quickly.

Just a little food (water?) for thought.....

baileykelly
07-27-2009, 12:26 AM
We used Costco to ship water to Port Orleans Riverside in March. It worked out great. We ordered it about 4 days ahead of time and it was at the front desk the afternoon we arrived. On the order form we entered the hotel address, our name, arrival date, and possibly our reservation number. I just checked the Costco website, it costs $6.97 including shipping, it might be slightly more for non members.

Gregandmel
07-27-2009, 06:49 AM
Great info everyone! Thanks so much for all the responses! I think I'll check with both Costco and Garden Grocery to see how much it costs to do this. We only want to ship 3 cases of bottled water so hopefully it won't be too difficult. Lots of the lightweight snack items we'll probably pack in our suitcases. I figured the bottled water would weigh a LOT if we tried to ship them. Thanks so much!! :thumbsup: