PDA

View Full Version : Mad Men - Season 3

Melanie
07-23-2009, 08:48 PM
So with season 3 starting in a few weeks (August 16), I thought it'd be fun to get some discussion going about this wonderful show. Who else watches?

Living overseas, I've had to rely on DVD to see this. Just now received the first 2 discs for season 2, so I've got to hurry up and watch. Gotta love the complex being that is Don Draper! :thumbsup:

Oh, please remember in our discussion that this is a family-friendly forum. Let's keep it clean folks! :)

Aggie97
07-24-2009, 01:48 PM
I've been addicted to this show since the first week! :thumbsup: I can't wait to see how far/long they jump forward for season 3.

PirateLover
07-24-2009, 06:16 PM
I am totally addicted to this show! The funny thing is, I always associate it with the Amy Winehouse song "You Know I'm No Good" because they used that in the promos throughout the first season. I love the stylization and the soundtrack. Can't wait for the premiere!

Melanie
07-27-2009, 10:56 PM
6 episodes into season 2. Wow, I really love this show!

PirateLover
07-28-2009, 03:50 PM
I'm glad you are liking it so much! I wonder if any of the episodes are on demand. I would like to rewatch a few myself before the season starts.

Melanie
07-28-2009, 03:55 PM
So far I can't tell that there was any 'sophomore slump' for this show. Same high quality as the first season.

Hmm, Colin Hanks was interesting as the priest. :scratch: He's a really underappreciated actor, IMO, regardless of who his daddy is.

Aggie97
07-28-2009, 04:02 PM
So far I can't tell that there was any 'sophomore slump' for this show. Same high quality as the first season.

I completely agree.

I think it was episode 11 that got a little bizarre, but it came right back around by the next episode! ;)

Melanie
07-28-2009, 04:10 PM
I think it was episode 11 that got a little bizarre, but it came right back around by the next episode! ;)

Hmmm, now you have me curious, April. I should have the next set of DVDs by the weekend! :D

mac badger
07-28-2009, 05:36 PM
i love this show! it is so fantastic. i don't have cable, so we watch it on dvd. got the first dvd of the second season the other night, intending to watch one episode a night. we watched all three, stayed up to past midnight, just couldn't turn it off.

Hammer
08-01-2009, 05:06 PM
I'm glad you are liking it so much! I wonder if any of the episodes are on demand. I would like to rewatch a few myself before the season starts.

Maryanne, season 2 is available On Demand through Comcast.

Aggie97
08-02-2009, 01:50 AM
Tonight I tried the fun new "Mad Men Yourself" application on AMC's web site. (I think it is similar to something that Fox did for The Simpsons Movie a couple years ago.) It allows you to create a stylized illustration of yourself as a Mad Men-type character -- picking everything from body type and eye brow shape to fun period hair style, clothing and accessories. At the end you can download the illustration. I was impressed that no registration was required. Both my husband and I got a kick out of creating ourselves. It was fun and very cute! :)

Kathy Jetson
08-02-2009, 02:47 AM
This is one of my favorite shows. I love shows about the 60's.

clou1028
08-02-2009, 09:06 AM
I just love this show, I can't believe I didn't start watching it sooner.

This weekend I just watched the first three discs of season 1. I am hoping to get season 1&2 in before season 3 starts, but if no I will DVR season 3 until I get caught up.

I just love mid-century modern style and design.

PirateLover
08-16-2009, 11:56 AM
Tonight's the night! Oh and Christine... I guess now would be the time to tell you... I moved, and now have FIOS :secret: So far, so good.

Melanie
09-18-2009, 05:18 PM
Okay, I'm almost caught up. One more episode to go and hopefully I'll get it in before Sunday's new episode. I love how we know the issues of practically all the main players. So good!

PirateLover
09-18-2009, 06:39 PM
I have to say I loved the most recent episode. It had a lot of surreal stuff going on and the music was great.

Melanie
09-20-2009, 08:46 AM
Yeah, good episode Maryanne. I have such a love/hate thing going on with Don. Just when you want to dislike him, you have scenes like the one with Sally in the kitchen, and the one in the hospital waiting room. And I really do think he feels bad for Peggy. Oh and my LOL moment this show - when Don walks into the meeting (late as usual) and then walks right out when he realizes it's about expenses. Too funny!

Oh and good luck to Mad Men at the Emmy's tonight. :thumbsup:

DVC2004
09-20-2009, 05:57 PM
I just started watching when this season premiered- and I'm hooked. I need to go back and watch the first 2 seasons. I don't follow a whole lot of shows on tv, but this one has me intrigued.

Melanie
09-20-2009, 09:57 PM
I need to go back and watch the first 2 seasons.

Definitely do! The first season in particular is incredible.

Jenemmy
09-21-2009, 07:07 AM
Love the show! My hubby and I have watched it from the start -- although I have to admit that some weeks I don't feel like I am quite smart enough to be watching it! LOL. Everything is so layered and intense -- like there is a double meaning in absolutely EVERYTHING. I find myself analyzing the dialogue and hoping I haven't missed some important symbolism or connection.

Melanie
09-21-2009, 10:34 AM
Sometimes I think there is TRIPLE meaning in some of the dialogue/scenes. :eek:

Congrats on the Emmy win for best drama. Now if they can just get some more viewers!

PirateLover
09-21-2009, 06:04 PM
This season is really good! I loved last night's episode too. I couldn't believe the whole thing with the tractor... and we got to see more of Don comforting Sally. I think the problem with viewership is that it's really hard to jump in out of nowhere, and it can move a little slow. John Hamm and January Jones were supposed to be on a 60s episode of Oprah today- I didn't watch, but hopefully that will pull some more people in. Those two make an absolutely gorgeous couple...

I think what I love most is the whole Nostalgia factor- and I wasn't even alive then! The little touches they add to make everything authentic are incredible- like the Dr. Pepper machine in the last episode. How cool!

Melanie
09-21-2009, 09:06 PM
The tractor thing was quite disturbing and unexpected, but that's what makes this such a great show! Wow - blood EVERYWHERE. Gosh, I sure hope they work Joan back into the office somehow. I love her character!

DVC2004
09-21-2009, 10:20 PM
The tractor thing was quite disturbing and unexpected, but that's what makes this such a great show! Wow - blood EVERYWHERE. Gosh, I sure hope they work Joan back into the office somehow. I love her character!

Yes very unexpected. And that Betty Draper- she's sort of cold and removed with the kids. She's always just shooing them off or telling them to go watch tv.

PirateLover
09-21-2009, 11:15 PM
Yes very unexpected. And that Betty Draper- she's sort of cold and removed with the kids. She's always just shooing them off or telling them to go watch tv.

When you see the first two seasons you'll learn more of the ins and outs of Betty. She has some issues.

DVC2004
09-22-2009, 09:06 AM
When you see the first two seasons you'll learn more of the ins and outs of Betty. She has some issues.

I will definitely have to watch those now!

Jenemmy
09-22-2009, 09:38 AM

....or telling little Bobby to go bang his head against the wall when he said he was bored...LOL

Melanie
10-05-2009, 05:37 PM
Such a different episode this week, but I loved it! Was there even a scene at the office? Wonder where they are going with Joan? And you've got to wonder how the Hilton family feels about this whole Conrad Hilton storyline.

And Don ugly? I THINK NOT! lol!

PirateLover
10-05-2009, 11:44 PM
Such a different episode this week, but I loved it! Was there even a scene at the office? Wonder where they are going with Joan? And you've got to wonder how the Hilton family feels about this whole Conrad Hilton storyline.

And Don ugly? I THINK NOT! lol!
I like it, too. I liked seeing Betty and Don out together without the kids. You could "see" that there is still real attraction there, and that she longs for the lifestyle that Don gets to lead every day while she is "trapped" with the kids. From episode 1 Pete has always creeped me out... He was actually starting to grow on me a bit this season but last night brought him straight back to square one creep zone.
I too have been wondering about the Hilton's and the story line.

Melanie
10-26-2009, 07:59 AM
Excellent show last night. The ending was PERFECT! I'm sad there are only two more episodes this season.

DVC2004
10-26-2009, 12:59 PM
Yes great episode! I know, only 2 more. I am so hooked now.

PirateLover
10-26-2009, 08:31 PM
I feel like there have been a lot of loose ends though. Whatever happened to Peggy's roomie? Pete and Trudy? Is Hilton gone for good?
I really liked seeing Betty confront Don and Don finally show some real human emotion.

Melanie
11-02-2009, 11:56 AM
WHOA!!! :jaw: I'm so glad they don't drag out storylines on this show. Can't wait for the finale!

And Roger loves Joan. Awwww.

Melanie
11-09-2009, 06:11 AM
It's like a new beginning. Loved the finale!

DVC2004
11-09-2009, 02:49 PM
I loved it too! Boy did the season go fast!

PirateLover
11-09-2009, 05:34 PM
I did like the finale. I think it was sad that Don and Betty are divorcing officially... but the love has been gone for a while. It's interesting, and I'm sure 100% planned, that Betty finale decided to get the divorce after the JFK assassination. Most historians credit that event with the "end of innocence" if you will. It's a major turning point in the change of social mores and what was and wasn't acceptable. Of course I didn't live through that, I only read about it and listen to my parents stories.

Anyway, I loved the whole idea of starting their own company. It was so funny to see them in that hotel room. I'm glad that Joan is back in the mix, and I'm glad Betty decided to join Don. I thought it was really interesting to see who they took with them. Can't wait until next season!

Melanie
11-09-2009, 06:54 PM
Anyway, I loved the whole idea of starting their own company. It was so funny to see them in that hotel room. I'm glad that Joan is back in the mix, and I'm glad Betty decided to join Don. I thought it was really interesting to see who they took with them. Can't wait until next season!

I'm sure you mean Peggy here. Don's apology and pleas to her were terrific. I LOVE how they brought Joan back. Don's "hmm, Joan, good idea" was priceless. I too found who they chose to bring and not bring interesting. I hope they can work Sal into the new company.

I like January Jones and think she's done a phenomenal job with this role, but I hope Don and Betty are done for good. The whole domestic storylines this season got old for me, and I hope with the formation of the new company that things are more centered around the office in the future. That said, I hope the writers can find a way to keep Betty around in an interesting way without her and Don getting back together. I just think it's more realistic for them to remain apart.

Really...August '10? :sad:

PirateLover
11-09-2009, 07:29 PM
I'm sure you mean Peggy here. Don's apology and pleas to her were terrific. I LOVE how they brought Joan back. Don's "hmm, Joan, good idea" was priceless. I too found who they chose to bring and not bring interesting. I hope they can work Sal into the new company.

I like January Jones and think she's done a phenomenal job with this role, but I hope Don and Betty are done for good. The whole domestic storylines this season got old for me, and I hope with the formation of the new company that things are more centered around the office in the future. That said, I hope the writers can find a way to keep Betty around in an interesting way without her and Don getting back together. I just think it's more realistic for them to remain apart.

Really...August '10? :sad:
Yes I meant Peggy, whoops! And I definitely think they are done. I agree with preferring the office story lines to the home ones... and now Don can have all the affairs he wants without me hating him for being a married man! Do you think he'll go back to the school teacher?
I also liked Sal, but remember he had the problem with the guy from Lucky Strike- the major client they are bringing with them. So we'll see.

Melanie
11-09-2009, 07:54 PM
Ah yes, Sal's issue was with the Lucky Strike guy. :unsure:

I sure hope they don't bring the school teacher back. I didn't like her. Isn't it funny that Don's other women were usually so opposite in appearance from Betty? Dark hair, darker skin, etc.

Boojum
11-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Ah yes, Sal's issue was with the Lucky Strike guy. :unsure:

I sure hope they don't bring the school teacher back. I didn't like her. Isn't it funny that Don's other women were usually so opposite in appearance from Betty? Dark hair, darker skin, etc.

Yeah, the school teacher makes me nervous. And I had noticed what you've noticed: the wife is the blonde Grace Kelly type, but all the illicit women are dark-haired and usually brown-eyed.

I don't know why Betty thinks being married to Henry is going to be any different than being married to Don.

Melanie
11-10-2009, 11:32 AM
I don't know why Betty thinks being married to Henry is going to be any different than being married to Don.

Me either. Seems she'll be even more the trophy wife in that situation.